Moorabbin accident today

The person making the forced landing had a radio.

Moorabbin has a tower.

The person taxying had a radio.

The person making the forced landing had right of way

Sure there's plenty of grass ozzie, but it's not an all over field and there are some deep gutters and culverts - I wold not pick the grass.

Sounds to me as if the taxying pilot missed the incoming aircraft or tower transmissions or both, or maybe had switched to ground frequency early as some do.

• Caution 1

The person making the forced landing had a radio.Moorabbin has a tower.

The person taxying had a radio.

The person making the forced landing had right of way

Sure there's plenty of grass ozzie, but it's not an all over field and there are some deep gutters and culverts - I wold not pick the grass.

Sounds to me as if the taxying pilot missed the incoming aircraft or tower transmissions or both, or maybe had switched to ground frequency early as some do.

Hi Turbs

Confess I was wondering how it was that the only part of the Moorabbin paddock available had another a/c taxiing on it. The two involved could taxi side by side on those big runways and there are a lot of choices there.

I really do think there is a bit of a fixation on"the runway" by many pilots today and I bemoan the lack of paddock sense amongst some of my younger peers. One written off because of a culvert would probably have had significantly less risk potential for lives, let alone repair costs in this one.

ATSB says it was a rough running engine, not a total failure. I learned it was essential to fly the damned aeroplane all the way to the crash. Didn't seem to happen this time.

That said...no fatalities is always a good outcome and I wasn't there.

Kaz

• Like 2

Hi TurbsConfess I was wondering how it was that the only part of the Moorabbin paddock available had another a/c taxiing on it. The two involved could taxi side by side on those big runways and there are a lot of choices there. Kaz

There's two active runways, but yes plenty of space steer around; at least with this one we are likely to get a very detailed ATSB report to use on us mere mortals.

At least with this one we are likely to get a very detailed ATSB report to use on us mere mortals.

Unlike MOST Ultralight accidents both minor and fatal!

• Like 1