BoM unionists loosing it?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any aviator wants to know a 100% accurate forecast for tomorrow & into the future as accurate as the BOM can forecast, then here it is right now as follows:

1. It may rain.

2. it may be overcast.

3. It may be fine with 8/8 visibility.

4. It may be cloudy.

5. It may be windy.

Take your pick of the above forecast items, or alternatively go outside when you get out of bed in the morning & stick your index finger on your right hand up in the air(not up behind you) & take immediate notice what is happening in front of you.031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Well, it's 'sno good complaining about it. They'll go on strike weather or not we complain and there'll be cold comfort for anyone hoping there'll be no heated discussions or wishing to reduce the tempo of it.

Kaz

• Like 1

If any aviator wants to know a 100% accurate forecast for tomorrow & into the future as accurate as the BOM can forecast, then here it is right now as follows:1. It may rain.

2. it may be overcast.

4. It may be cloudy.

5. It may be windy.

Take your pick of the above forecast items, or alternatively go outside when you get out of bed in the morning & stick your index finger on your right hand up in the air(not up behind you) & take immediate notice what is happening in front of you.031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

That is not a "forecast"...its just more waffle...

• Haha 1

If any aviator wants to know a 100% accurate forecast for tomorrow & into the future as accurate as the BOM can forecast, then here it is right now as follows:1. It may rain.

2. it may be overcast.

4. It may be cloudy.

5. It may be windy.

Guess I'll have to use this until the BOM gets their dartboard fixed.....

I wouldn't blame the individuals as much as the system. We used to have observers everywhere and send balloons up to analyse the airmass and plot the Isobars. We had a few long term forecasters who were quite credible. Today the computers guess at the MSL pressures and the weird wavy lines they make shows they are guessing a few days out.

Pilots at a certain level were accredited Met. observers in the past. Local knowledge helps but there's none of that used. Nev

The best &most permanent successful procedure would be to sack all of the BOM bastaxds similar to what Hawke & the Airlines did some years ago when the Airline pilots thought they were indespensable & some of them then had to start working as cleaners & shxt kickers just to put food on the table & pay the mortgage.

You're not very familiar with what actually happened during the airline pilot's dispute of 1989, are you?

• Agree 4

I wouldn't blame the individuals as much as the system. We used to have observers everywhere and send balloons up to analyse the airmass and plot the Isobars. We had a few long term forecasters who were quite credible. Today the computers guess at the MSL pressures and the weird wavy lines they make shows they are guessing a few days out.Pilots at a certain level were accredited Met. observers in the past. Local knowledge helps but there's none of that used. Nev

I flew into Giles via Ayres Rock a couple of years ago. They have Met guys on I think 6 month rotations. Interesting to see the balloons activated every few hours and info they send back to a computer, all sent to a central computer in Canbera. There are a few of these sites around OZ.

Temp, wind and pressure recorded.

Phil

Time to tell my Giles Weather Station story.

Years ago Auntie ABC decided to spruce up their 7pm television news. Geraldine Doogue was elevated to anchor "ABC National".

One night a new fresh-faced young man appeared after the bulletin to present the weather report. Obviously anxious to liven up the stodgy old forecast he predicted that Alice Springs would have a very cold night. He said they were in for a "three-dog-night or, if you worked for the ABC, a three Doogue night."

We never saw him again. We worried about him for years. I wonder if he is still banished to Giles Weather Station.

• Haha 3

Just hate it when Fran Kelly says of (the) Alice. (ugh a HOT 42 degrees, Couldn't be a cold 42 degrees could it? Silly MOO. (Suppose I can't say that). Nev

I can understand that being annoying, but most of the time I find her interviewing style pretty incisive.

Oh Dazza

I personally think they toe an ABC line but I confess I am getting tired of poor editing and even poor English presented in some of their written and oral news broadcasts.

I fear English as she should be writ ain't taught no more.

Kaz

• Agree 3

Does labor produce a different weather situation? Forecasts on the Tele are an exercise in minimal information, usually The temperature and showers possible/ fine. Not even wind direction and speed. After the 7.oo News it's fair . Nev

• Like 2

But it's true.

So what?

The Australian has an editorial and opinion column team so far to the right that it makes former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney look like a left wing dope smoking hippie. They (and most other News Ltd papers) may as well set up their offices in the LNP headquarters and be done with the charade that they "just report the news".

No-one seems to complain about that.

• Agree 4

Ah... perhaps because we aren't forced to pay them? 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gifSubtle difference and all. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Well Gnu, you'll be happy to know your tax dollar buys a service that is actually not skewed either left or right. Can't remember where I saw it, but there was a recent independent study done on ABC news content to determine whether or not reporting was more favourable to Labor candidates (this was triggered by the bleating from the right) - it found that there was absolutely no bias in the reporting.

If you want the government to appear better in ABC news, get a better government.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Winner 1

Ah... perhaps because we aren't forced to pay them? 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gifSubtle difference and all. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

I didn't say I agreed ABC and SBS were biased against the LNP.

I think the ABC (with a few exceptions) does a reasonable job. The SBS is by definition more inclined to reflect non-white Australian cultural views of our immigrant population as that is the whole reason it was originally founded. If you're a big fan of the traditional Anglo-Saxon Australian Christian viewpoint on life, you're hardly going to get any satisfaction from SBS. That's not why it's there.

When these outfits report that the current PM has made some incredibly dopey BS statement or done something unbelievably stupid (like knighting Prince Phillip), they're usually just stating a fairly obvious fact. Strangely, 50% of the population jumps up and down about it.

You want them to sugar coat Government idiocy just because they're taxpayer funded? They have certainly been critical of Labor on many occasions. Perhaps you didn't bother watching.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1