BoM unionists loosing it?

^ Freedom of choice doesn't sit well with some non-taxpayers. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gifYou like it - you pay for it. Simple.

I know people who don't use the library, but are happy to pay for it.

I know people who will never have kids, but are happy to support state schools.

I haven't been used the public hospital system, and never been in an ambulance, and never had the fire brigade to my house, and never needed public housing or the dole or drug rehab or legal aid, but I'm more than happy to pay for these things.

I don't go to the opera, or regularly visit museums and art galleries, or watch sport, but I'm happy for part of my tax dollar to support these things.

Why?

Because without all these things, what sort of country would we have?

Your assertion that "The most essential requirements from government are national protection plus law and order" means that Nazi Germany would be your ideal model. Oh wait... I think they had state-run media too. Perhaps they were a little too much to the left?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 2

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ You like it - you pay for it. Simple.

Ergo you're arguing that if you don't like it, you shouldn't pay for it? Life isn't quite that simple.

In a Democracy, 80% of people might vote that they want Government taxes to pay for something. By definition this means the other 20% have to suck it up and get over it.

• Agree 2

Survey confirms wide support. From the Age:

"The ABC and SBS are among the things Australians would most readily cut to balance the budget, according to a survey by Choice magazine."

But don't let me interrupt you guy's cozy little session of tickling and scratching each other. kiss.gif.b85e4cbf93c012b498aab8fe7d5a5fe6.gif

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

"The ABC and SBS are among the things Australians would most readily cut to balance the budget, according to a survey by Choice magazine."

But don't let me interrupt you guy's cozy little session of tickling and scratching each other. kiss.gif.b85e4cbf93c012b498aab8fe7d5a5fe6.gif

26% of those surveyed said they would prefer to reduce spending on public broadcasting rather than cut spending on health, education or pensions. WOW! Certainly no bias in the way that was reported. Really??

Note to Ian: can we please have a "Really?" button?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

The survey showed 26 per cent of respondents selected "public broadcasting" from a list of 16 areas pulled from the news that could potentially be the target of cuts in next month's budget.

What were the other 15 areas?

I know you don't like bias so in the interest of balance perhaps you should also quote:

The survey results are in spite of longstanding support for public broadcasting among Australians. In 2013, Newspoll found that 85 per cent believed the ABC provided a "valuable" service to the community, with more than half rating it "very valuable".

The headline is somewhat of an overstatement "Consumers tell government to: Cut public broadcasters" but what it should really say is "when presented with a list 16 areas of expenditure public broadcasting comes in at no16", this does not necessarily equate a call to cut public broadcasting. I would be quite interested to see the full survey. Also 26% of how many?

I understand the user pays argument and to some extent I am sympathetic to it, the problem is the many users pays advocates seem to only see the services their taxes pay for that they don't like.

Gnu how much would you be willing to pay for an area forecast before your next flight?

• Like 4

People cherry pick the Bible too, and the Koran. Even posts that are qualified by the poster, are selectively quoted out of context here at times. Boo. Nev

Well you certainly do. I've noticed fundamental Atheists argue from a position of ignorance, proud to be uniformed and apparently incurious enough to remain that way. Sad really.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Well you certainly do. I've noticed fundamental Atheists argue from a position of ignorance, proud to be uniformed and incurious enough to remain that way.

I think you will find most of my posts contain links to reputable sources, but seemingly you never actually read them, or if you do you never address them.

You didn't answer my question, how much would you be willing to pay for an area forecast?

Earlier you said the government should only concentrate on "national protection plus law and order."

So you would you be happy to pay for all the other services you receive? Every road a toll road, why should non-car owners pay for roads they don't use?

I would be happy to pay for access to the ABC (where else can you see in-depth documentaries). And according to the the survey the YOU quoted the 85% of the Australian population that say the ABC is a "valuable service to the community" would probably also be willing to chip in, then we wouldn't have to listen to the whining of the 15% who prefer reality programs and cooking shows.

Another question (that I know you will not answer) - Do you think that if your taxes only paid for the services that you suggest - national protection and law and order and you paid for everything else out of your pocket, that you think you would be better off?

• Agree 1
  • Winner 2

Well you certainly do. I've noticed fundamental Atheists argue from a position of ignorance, proud to be uniformed and apparently incurious enough to remain that way. Sad really.

What an interesting concept. I grew up being force fed religion from an early age. It was not until I left home as a 16 year old that I was then given the option of being force fed a different form of religion. As a 20 year old for the first time I was permitted to act on my own beliefs, I am an atheist, but I certainly do not come from a position of ignorance or unimformed. I am well informed in several christian ideals and guess what none of them work for me. It is a common christian attack to blame ignorance and use fear to force people to conform.

Just a reminder that very few Australians listen to or watch the ABC so it aught not be a financial burden on all.

• Percentage of Australians who believe the ABC provides a valuable service to the community: 84%1

• Estimated reach of ABC services via radio, television and online: 71%2

• Average number of users who visit ABC online each week: 6 million3

• ABC Radio’s average five-city weekly metropolitan reach: 4.7 million4

• ABC Television’s average five-city weekly metropolitan reach: 9.4 million5

• ABC Television’s total weekly regional reach: 4.5 million6

• Average national audience for weeknight 7pm News on ABC: 1.2 million7

• 498,900 active users of the ABC flagship app on average each month8

• Average monthly reach of ABC news and current affairs websites: 2.3 million9

References

1. Newspoll, ABC Appreciation Survey, June 2014, national random sample (n=1902) conducted by telephone, people aged 14 years and over.

2. Newspoll, ABC Awareness and Usage Survey, June 2014, in combination with ratings data, people aged 18 years and over.

3. Webtrends Data July 2013—June 2014

4. Nielsen and Gfk from S1 2014, five city metropolitan, people aged 10 years and over, 2013—2014

5. OzTAM Consolidated Data 2013—2014

6. Regional TAM Consolidated Data 2013—2014

7. OzTAM and Regional TAM Consolidated Data 2013—2014

8. Flurry Analytics

9. Nielsen Online Ratings – Hybrid, Australia, people aged 2 and over.

http://www.fabcnsw.org.au/fabc/about_abc.php

It costs 12.2 cents per day per taxpayer, that is $44.53 per year, Gnu if you promise not to watch or listen to any ABC station or web page I will happily reimburse you $44.53

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I think Gnu just likes the attention, that's why he comes out with this absolute shite. No one could actually believe the crap he's peddling so it must just be for the reaction.

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

I think Gnu just likes the attention, that's why he comes out with this absolute shite. No one could actually believe the crap he's peddling so it must just be for the reaction.

Don't be so sure... our politicians bet on it...

• Percentage of Australians who believe the ABC provides a valuable service to the community: 84%1

References

1. Newspoll, ABC Appreciation Survey, June 2014, national random sample (n=1902) conducted by telephone, people aged 14 years and over.

Yeah, right Einstein, a "sample" of 1902 out of over 20 million.....................................................