Link to Sport Pilot for May

Guest Andys@coffs

So...was it as good for you as it will be for our bottom line......  

49 members have voted

1. 1. So...was it as good for you as it will be for our bottom line......

• Yeah I had no issues and enjoyed getting early access to it
    • No...It sucks and I'll never read it ever...even the good bits...which were kinda cool

Good on the board for pointing the CEO in this direction. I'm sure the digital version won't be perfect come June but the first version of anything never is. People need to see it for what it is, cutting of services to avoid an increase of fees. If you don't like that well the board have arranged for a 2nd option just for you, pay the extra fee and get your mag in the mail.

The digital version needs some work, should be free to subscribe for everyone and uploaded where ever we can stick a copy.

• Agree 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please everyone stop preaching to the choir...... I know the answers to these questions just as well as you do, and if it were my SOLE role to answer them I would....but it isn't and I wont in isolation...... The question will be answered correctly....and even better by the people whose paid job it is to do so!And while Im feeling sh!tty about being preached at.......Kasper the board strategy for RAAus spans a time period greater than 1 year......presuming in your post that far looking for us is 1 year is objectionable, as is you preaching to me on IP management...I've only been doing that within a 7000 employee company within the IT department (so about 110% of the damn time!) for a decade or so.....Point me to a member who would have, on my post about IP management not understood what the issue was I was discussing (high level, not the specific relevance to RAAus circumstances) . I was discussing with the average member not an IP Lawyer! your point of clarification is just nit picking....hmmm trend???

Take it easy please.

1. I was NOT responding directly to your post - or I would have replied and you would have seen your post - I am VERY consistent on this issue within forum use - if I post without a quote or reply it is to the thread and readers on the topic and issues within and not in specific reply to a single post

2. You in post #4 introduced the issue of IP specifically so it was within the thread and given my point above it was not towards you specifically but a more general comment on the area clarifying what I see the issue to be = BTW its the same issue you raise in post #4 so basically I am AGREEING WITH YOU

As for your 'just nit picking' my comment on this as an RAA member is get off your high horse - not all members agree with you on interpretation of some of the existing RAA and CAO documents.

The three significant issues I have discussed on this forum in relation to APPALLING drafting within the Ops Manual and the inability of the Tech Office to UNDERSTAND the drafting of their Tech Manual changes as they APPLY TO MY AIRCRAFT are not nit picking. Explain to me HOW it is nit picking to be waiting for 7 months AFTER CALLING TECH to register an aircraft when the only issue is how to comply with the display of regn markings?

And how is it nit picking to point out that a policy change in relation to all 19 reg aircraft not owned by the original builder is going to actually ground aircraft for periods of time and require the additional expense and time of L2 inspections ... or that the drafting of the Tech office when outlining this actually would mean that the L2 will 'validate that works have been completed appropriately' ... not oversee a builder inspection or state an opinion on a condition report but validate appropriateness ... this is substantially MORE than applies to the initial inspection and registration process and I hope the RAA is providing insurance coverage for the L2s who are would be required to sign of appropriateness and validity of not just work but of design.

Sorry but I am pissed off completely with being attacked by RAA employees and board members fo asking valid questions.

This week being told I by the Tech Manager that as I do not own an aircraft affected it is not my problem is NOT a helpful way of engaging with members who are trying to head off drafting issues that really have the ability to significantly impact members broadly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I found the digital version easy to read. But, as someone who spends most of the day looking at a computer screen, I prefer a paper mag just to have less screen time in the evening. So, I may still stump up for the paper version.

Guest Andys@coffs

People

I can now advise that we will host a PDF file on our website for access by members and the general public. The file will not be DRM protected at all, and we encourage people to send it as far and as wide as they believe will be in their and our collective best interests.

I can also advise that today, any of the issuu (issue phonetically) published magazines can, upon creation of a user account with issue, be downloaded from their website as an offline pdf file as well, by clicking on the share link just under the magazine itself, and from the set of links that now appear on the next line down select download. The PDF is circa 30MB in size so might take some time, but its then available if you need to be offline from a wifi/cellular perspective such as sitting in the back of an RPT.

Can I further suggest that once you have created an account and logged in you then click on the person icon at the very top right of the page, select Account settings from the pop up menu, and then notifications from the new across the top (2nd line) new menu.

In there you can now choose what they can do with your email address....the default settings, for me at least, were a bit too much in their favour in terms of monetizing my email address..... I turned everything off, but that may well be excessive.

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

Rhys

I have asked the CEO that question, as I see it the question is one of IP rights, I don't know if RAAus holds the IP, or the publisher....CEO will know and advise me and in turn I will advise you.

Personally if we have the rights and are not asked to pay anything for use then I'd be keen to see a year or so of older mag's go up so that anyone who is newly bitten by the bug can do a bit of historical research..... Its also a bit of a bonus for the advertisers, who purchased with a view as to the likely lifetime of impact and all of a sudden it may well be better than expected...which is good for the relationship between our editor and his advertisers and in turn means his relationship with us will benefit.

Andy

Great news that a .pdf copy will be available

I feel sorry for the non-flying members though. 'No change to membership' ..... still $100, but this used to include $90 worth of magazines hand delivered to your door. If they want the same deal, that is a huge increase!

Yes, I know they can download an electronic copy for 'free', but what does the $100 cover now?

My opinion is that although I would prefer a printed magazine, I think the board have done and are doing the right thing for the right reasons. Will I read the online magazine? No. Would I pay an extra $90.00 for a paper version? No, I don't think there is that much value in it. To be honest I think with the amount of advertising in the magazine, it should be free. It really is just a vessel for advertisers with a fairly small amount of useful content. I would estimate that at least 50% of the magazine is advertising. If that can't pay for itself with that quantity of advertising then something is wrong with the magazine or the marketing/printing of it. I believe a move to an electronic mag will cost in terms of advertising, there are simply to many ways to advertise online now to pay for a limited run online magazine. Why advertise in a limited distribution magazine when you can target your advertising for a very small fee using platforms like facebook etc.

Guest Andys@coffs

Gents

Past mag's (5yrs worth) will be available as PDF downloads. Also note that today there are 11 issues per year, in the future there will be 12 per year. Advertising is something between the editor and the suppliers it has nothing (directly) to do with RAAus

Andy

Sounds like the company was doing very well from our arrangement, $300,000 a year for 10,000 copies and collecting all advertising fees. Great news to hear 5 years of digital will be online.

Interesting that the magazine is one of our biggest expenses but someone else is getting all the advertising revenue. Now weren't our honest, reliable, hard working politicians just talking about double dipping. That throws a totally different light on the whole issue.

I would rather a paper copy but I am also used to reading electronic magazines as I have been reading Unsealed 4X4 magazine this way .

Unsealed 4x4 Mags? So what Mags have you been reading from the sealed section Daz??? 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

• Haha 1

Unsealed 4x4 Mags? So what Mags have you been reading from the sealed section Daz??? 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

I'm not sure why it is called Unsealed but there is no nudity in it . What's up downunder also now has a free electronic magazine. I guess it is the way of the future.

I still don't get what all the fuss is about ( except for a need to decide on a reliable and expedient way in which to get the digital version out to members ). A magazine or newsletter is the byproduct of a viable and dynamic association or club, NOT the other way round. As for the cost to us members it is not an issue just so long as the financial decisions taken by the Board ensure the future viability of RAA and in turn us members.

From what I can glean from this forum many of you will be soon hanging up your pilots helmet and picking up the bowls. I can assure you that membership fees at your local bowls club will be more than what you currently pay to the RAA

When I come home from my two week stint at work, I look forward to going into the office and unwrapping the two magazines that I receive in the mail.

One is/was Sport Pilot and the other one is the SSAA monthly magazine.

I realise that the Sporting Shooters Association is a lot bigger than the RAA with approx 169 228 members as of April 2015. But for the measily $83 it costs a year, members receive a excellent quality monthly magazine and 20 millionn public liability insurance when participating in shoot sports including hunting.

When I was at work last week I read the electronic version of the May Sport Pilot. Then when I got home I looked at the hard copy addition that was waiting for me in the office. The hard copy is IMO 10 times better to read than the electronic version, and I wouldn't exactly call the magazine a ' luxury' as stated in the magazine in the President's report.

Like I have said previously, if the RAA cannot run a surplus with the current membership fees, get more money from CASA.

If the RAA went broke, do you guys seriously think that everybody overnight would stop flying because the RAA was no longer ? I would say nope.

• Agree 1

Dazza, Good point. Your comparison between SSA and RAA demonstrates concept of economies scale. A print run of 170ooo+ means the production cost each mag is an order of magnitude less than that for a print run of 10000 or so. Perhaps that's another reason why RAA should be looking to strengthen our links with the SAAA? One mag covering the Recreational aviation field?

I'm going to withdraw to the bunker now before the firefight starts. 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif

• Agree 1

I am in an association at does a glossier and thicker magazine than Sport Pilot, most of the production cost is covered by advertising. Also about 10,000 run. I'm surprised that Sport Pilot cost so much. Perhaps we had a lousy deal with the publisher. I wonder if there is scope to negotiate with another publisher at a much lower cost. It all depends, I suppose, on what the advertisers are willing to pay which in turn depends on what they think our members are likely to spend on their products.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1