sun glare

has anybody found a product that sticks to our screens ( window tint ).....local screen chap says perspex is not a good material to attach to. Would like a strip across the top of the screen for those early morning easterly runs.

( maybe a pull down blind ?? )........anything

I tinted my old plexiglass thruster doors. Had no issues. I choose gold chrome window tint. I think it looked cool. Well it was at least cooler from inside lol ... And NO side glare. I hate sunnies. Lightwing has fold down visors

I have used a sheet of greenish plastic from Ian's shop http://www.savemoreonline.com.au/home-and-garden/home/other-home-products/sun-screen/

Not a permanent solution, as it is removable, but it stays in place with static electricity; works on my C152 windscreen and also car and home windows. A wipe or wash, followed by a rub keeps it sticking reliably. A good cheap solution.

Sue

• Informative 1

You may have seen an ad on TV for a fold-down anti-glare visor being sold by someone like Danoz-Direct? I saw them in a cheap shop in Penrith yesterday, but didn't check the price.

OME

I was given one of those cheapies for Christmas, OME, for use in the car. After a very short period the plastic ratchet thingy meant to hold them up when not needed soon wore out and they (day lens and night lens) kept falling down. Also, they clip onto the visor with a plastic clip. One hot day and it doesn't hold. Hit the brakes and it falls onto your knee. Don't know what the ones on TV are like.

You need to keep the vision from out of the plane unresticted. Any sunglasses should be wrap around and good quality. This will save your eyesight.(macular degeneration and cataracts) somewhat. I'm serious about a peek at the front like a tennis hood or peaked cap. You have it so you are just looking under it and keep the direct glare from getting straight into your eyes. Darkened shades or window tints, may not cut down U/V. If they are only darkened your iris opens wider and more damaging U/V enters your eyes. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The original ones were just the front shade with some elastic s to keep it on your head. Leyton wears his hat backwards as do VC Holden drivers, and kids on trams. Nev

• Haha 1

well well, was driving past a "trendy" curtain place today, popped in, asked questions, came out with a perfect fabric. Designed just for sun control in our houses. A meshy style fabric, held it up to full sun and i can gaze straight at the sun, deflect my vision from centering at the sun, and i can clearly see through it. Bloody brilliant stuff.

Now to setup a mountng system in the jab, can't see a prob.

well well, was driving past a "trendy" curtain place today, popped in, asked questions, came out with a perfect fabric. Designed just for sun control in our houses. A meshy style fabric, held it up to full sun and i can gaze straight at the sun, deflect my vision from centering at the sun, and i can clearly see through it. Bloody brilliant stuff.Now to setup a mountng system in the jab, can't see a prob.

Please tell us more. Details details!

• Agree 1

The original ones were just the front shade with some elastic s to keep it on your head. Leyton wears his hat backwards as do VC Holden drivers, and kids on trams. Nev

Slight correction nev. These days it's a VT Commodore or more likely a Korean 4cyl. VC drivers are baby boomers reliving their youth that haven't bought aircraft.

• Haha 1

Do they have sun in England Phil? 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

I think He's getting us mixed up Phil. . . .Y'know how confused these bloody colonials can get. . . . . and NO,. . .we don't need sun visors or Sunnies in England. . . .no need really . . . . . .Not much point "Looking Cool" when you are already freezing your A$$ off @ 52 degrees North. . . . . .

Phil

Russ you will probably not be able to see other aircraft as well with that mesh, and I have no idea what it does with U/V. We have it on windows at home and it seems to reduce glare and heat, but it has to affect visibility.Nev

Agreed about the viz bit, it's compromised. Hence, fabric comes down 350mm approx only, ( attached by Velcro to the cross beam near the top of the screen ... When not needed the bottom is swung up to the roof, and Velcro holds it away up there......it's working well. ) it's about where a visor would drop...my eyeline is well under the bottom of the mesh when it's dropped.

( might Pattern the brilliance of the master piece ).....if that's how you spell the word....Patton,patern,patin, Payton..could go on .