New Training Co-ordinator job at RA-Aus

slb

Mmm ..... not sure what you are trying to imply.

The thread is about training on all aircraft and what RA-Aus have in mind for the future i.e. the L1s, L2s as well as (possibly) flying schools, not trikes in particular. Sport Pilot magazine however had two different articles that didn't add up.

So, I'm not sure why you would have a problem with pointing out that RA-Aus are advertising for a full-time Training co-ordinator and that the HGFA have been conducting courses for their members which include hands-on training (which is what someone in this thread suggested the RA-Aus should do)

• Agree 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously failed comprehension at school. By the way HGFA stands for Hangliding Federation of Australia, so LSA and other 3 axis don't come into it where they are concerned. Please don't benchmark RAA against the HGFA as that implies a lack of knowledge

Well I for one am wishing the new RA-Aus Training Co-ordinator the best and hope he can come up with something workable for everyone.

I do not benchmark. Both organisations are trying their best and as it has been said on previous posts, "we all fly .... regardless of what we fly".

I will get back to reading my SkySailor magazine (that's the magazine from the Hang Gliding Federation of Australia) and my Sport Pilot magazine and will try very hard not to compare them .... 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Well I for one am wishing the new RA-Aus Training Co-ordinator the best and hope he can come up with something workable for everyone. I do not benchmark. Both organisations are trying their best and as it has been said on previous posts, "we all fly .... regardless of what we fly".

I will get back to reading my SkySailor magazine (that's the magazine from the Hang Gliding Federation of Australia) and my Sport Pilot magazine and will try very hard not to compare them .... 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif[/quote

Fair enough. Sounds like you do more reading the actual flying anyhow

Cheers

• Informative 1

Only because you don,t know enough about the HGFA and their weight shift operations, training and instructors

Exactly the opposite ! As I said, you have no idea of what is going on. You obviously don't fly trikes

You obviously failed comprehension at school. By the way HGFA stands for Hangliding Federation of Australia, so LSA and other 3 axis don't come into it where they are concerned. Please don't benchmark RAA against the HGFA as that implies a lack of knowledge

Inferior, in what way ? I can't see one pilot being considered inferior to another.

Sorry, after reading the above posts I thought that was your inference.

• Agree 1

Sorry, after reading the above posts I thought that was your inference.

Definitely not. I was just trying to make the point that it probably is not valid to make direct comparisons between the two organisations as they are very different beasts.

• Informative 1

Definitely not. I was just trying to make the point that it probably is not valid to make direct comparisons between the two organisations as they are very different beasts.

Ev17, you seem to be implying a few things regarding the HGFA, but are willing to state very little.

To suggest that it is not valid to compare the two organisations is, frankly, ludicrous. Yes, I am biased, precisely because I have done the comparison, and continue to do so. I would advocate that any trike owner does the same, to ascertain which organisation best serves them, and then make their own decision.

Fly Safely

Kev

That i

Ev17, you seem to be implying a few things regarding the HGFA, but are willing to state very little.To suggest that it is not valid to compare the two organisations is, frankly, ludicrous. Yes, I am biased, precisely because I have done the comparison, and continue to do so. I would advocate that any trike owner does the same, to ascertain which organisation best serves them, and then make their own decision.

Fly Safely

Kev

No argument from me Kev as the choice is yours to make and anyway, choice is a good thing.

Not so sure about a direct comparison of the two organisations. By the way, how many 3 axis aircraft are registered HGFA

Only because you don,t know enough about the HGFA and their weight shift operations, training and instructors

Exactly the opposite ! As I said, you have no idea of what is going on. You obviously don't fly trikes

The only comparison I can see that slb was making was that the HGFA courses are entirely voluntary and the hope is that RAA do not mandate the upcoming courses for their L1s and L2s.

I assume they would be conducting these courses for trike pilots as well as their 3-axis pilots?

Safe Flying

Kev

I believe the training of L1 and sorting out of L2 is a directive from CASA to maintain self maintenence and modification rules we currently have

If we dont do it satisfactorraly then thats at risk.

Having someone to set this process up and manage it, let alone maintain and oversee existing training network as well, is a big job let alone pretty thankless id have thought.

• Agree 2

I believe the training of L1 and sorting out of L2 is a directive from CASA to maintain self maintenence and modification rules we currently haveIf we dont do it satisfactorraly then thats at risk.

Having someone to set this process up and manage it, let alone maintain and oversee existing training network as well, is a big job let alone pretty thankless id have thought.

If that is a directive from CASA why don't RAAus share that with us and let us know what CASA have asked for. Surely it's not a state secret. If there is a safety case to make they should put it before us. I don't see a big number of accidents related to poorly trained L1 and L2 maintainers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The QLD Coroner made some very specific recommendations regarding RAAus and oversight of aircraft maintenance. RAAus told the Cornoner they didn't have the resources to perform audits of maintainers (probably in the hope there would be a recommendation for more funding). The Coroner then recommended CASA perform these audits on behalf of RAAus. I think this might be driving this matter now. There's been a fair amount of Comms with us via newsletter and magazine articles.

• Informative 1

The raa management has to recieve information and act on it

Nothing will get sone if every comms with CASA has to be read ansd approved by 10,000 members

Its why we vote a board and employ managers in each dept

Of course not, we have to add it to raa responsibility simply to maintain existing status quo

An issue which plenty cant come to terms with

Dont think CASA have paid funds they promised yet, let alone extra

That would require a lot of expense, that would be beyond our current ability to pay for without fee increase. Not saying this isn't a field where some evaluation of what is going on isn't a good idea, and I'm sure it is already happening. But... It has to be balanced against spending money somewhere else where it might be more effective', in the big picture.

Australia is a very large place to cover . CASA shouldn't owe us money we have to beg for. It's PART of the deal for what we do, and it's likely not enough anyhow. Nev

The raa management has to recieve information and act on itNothing will get sone if every comms with CASA has to be read ansd approved by 10,000 members

Its why we vote a board and employ managers in each dept

Nobody is saying 10,000 members have to approve anything. If there is to be a major change to our operations and it is at the behest of CASA, then members are entitled to know. A simple notice on the web site is all that is required.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two things surprised me about the job description on the RA-Aus website.

Firstly nothing relating to the safety of the membership is apparent in the job description. The first of the key responsibilities states:

- To develop and implement national training strategies to ensure the continued growth and success of the business.

According to RA-Aus policy "Safety is one of our core business values and functions".

I believe safety of the membership is more important than 'the continued growth and success of the business', so that key responsibility ought to read something like:

- To develop and implement national training strategies to ensure the safety of the membership and the continued growth and success of the business.

Secondly the enticement at the beginning of the job description to "Work for an organisation experiencing high growth" seems to be deliberately misleading - to any reader. RA-Aus growth commenced to slacken in 2010 and the number of aircraft registered (3200-3400), members (around 10 000) and FTFs (around 175) has been stagnant for the past 3.5 years. The only high growth area seems to be costs.

John

• Agree 8

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen anything mentioned as to how the recruitment is going for this position.

Now that the flow-chart is no longer on the website, I wonder where this new position will fit in to the RA-Aus structure.

Does anyone know if they have someone in the job yet? or whether they have started interviews?

Turbo I agree with you. The wording of the job advert is a little worrying - sounds more like a Corporation than an overseeing type Organisation ... sounds as if RAAus are planning a major reshuffle with Assessment Programs and Managing Performance and Compliance of Trainers.Sounds costly, but is this maintenance or for operations as well?

Maybe a Major Overhaul is on the cards?

Yep could be working towards a very strong beaureaucratic structure where some will become untouchable..

Is it going to be working within the structure of the new constitution.?

Just some thinking.

Regards,

KP.

Guest Maj Millard

You don't ?......does

If that is a directive from CASA why don't RAAus share that with us and let us know what CASA have asked for. Surely it's not a state secret. If there is a safety case to make they should put it before us. I don't see a big number of accidents related to poorly trained L1 and L2 maintainers.

You don't ?......sounds like you've haven't looked real hard.

If you want to know any info like what's in that directive, you are free at anytime to call or Email the CEO and ask....or attend the AGM or as an observer of a board meeting which are both member options. In about six board meetings so far I have only seen two separate observers attend one and they usually get what they want in about half an hour and excuse themselves....but always nice to see them there anyway, as there is nothing being hidden by the board or anyone else. I usually try to have a chat to them also.