New Training Co-ordinator job at RA-Aus

slb

Job advert: posted on the RA-Aus website:

Training Co-ordinator – Recreational Aviation Australia (Full time)

The key responsibilities of the role are

• To develop and implement national training strategies to ensure the continued growth and success of the business

• Coordinating trainers, venues and resources for course requirements.

• Develop, design and facilitate training and assessment programs

• Managing the performance and compliance of RA-Aus trainers

• Reporting where required

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a new job?

What do the Ops manager and Assistant Ops manager, do also the tech manager and assistant and Safety Risk and Compliance manager?

Are our current training and assesment programs not working?

Yes I can see that this will add to the growth of the business, but what is the "business"

Maybe I should say empire.

• Agree 1

Is this a new job?What do the Ops manager and Assistant Ops manager, do also the tech manager and assistant and Safety Risk and Compliance manager?

Are our current training and assesment programs not working?

Yes I can see that this will add to the growth of the business, but what is the "business"

Maybe I should say empire.

Yes a new job, it has been advertised for a while I commented on it on the 5 th June in the Sport Pilot magazine thread. Post #135

I would be interested in some specific examples of what this position entails. By "RAAus trainers" do they mean instructors, senior instructors, CFIs? Or are they talking maintenance training, office staff training? The job description is vague. Are there specific qualifications required? The bureaucracy is growing, watch and see if the successful applicant will need assistants and staff in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

There are so many experts on this forum, that I would have thought they would have been inundated with applicants.

With all that 'us' forumites know and going by what we say I think we should sack all Raa staff and just run it from here........................................................ Ok that WAS tongue in cheek too:thumb up:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

It's been mentioned in other threads a couple of times.

Sorry Dazza - I posted it in the Training thread but didn't get a response so thought I would try again to see if anyone had any details on this new job. I haven't seen it anywhere else...

I had assumed it was the next phase in the Maintenance training but as Happyflyer states, the job description is a bit vague.

• Agree 1

With all that 'us' forumites know and going by what we say I think we should sack all Raa staff and just run it from here........................................................ Ok that WAS tongue in cheek too:thumb up:

That way would be the normal way - use the skills of the members as volunteers; but the members have allowed it to go the corporate way - hire others to do the work, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you can generate enough money to pay the staff and overheads.

• Agree 2

Turbo I agree with you. The wording of the job advert is a little worrying - sounds more like a Corporation than an overseeing type Organisation ... sounds as if RAAus are planning a major reshuffle with Assessment Programs and Managing Performance and Compliance of Trainers.

Sounds costly, but is this maintenance or for operations as well?

Maybe a Major Overhaul is on the cards?

• Informative 1

Odds are that this impost is about RAAus running off the rails to become a Registered Training Organisation.

Prepare for increased compliance BS. Prepare to open the wallet.

Prepare for less emphasis on core aviation knowledge and skill but more emphasis on wearing the fluro vest.

Why? Because ground based, over-paid, aviation hating, Cert. iv compliant "trainers" will be telling us how to suck eggs.

Welcome to the RAAus 2020 "VISION".

• Agree 5

Real safety improvement begins, and ends, with the 180 or so CFI's in Australia. A CFI can only impart the safety message when it's part & parcel of airmanship. Airmanship can only be taught on the job, and mostly in the cockpit. It just won't happen when 'safety' is presented as some hairy fairy subject by a professional 'trainer'. I say no more on this subject. happy days,

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

Real safety improvement begins, and ends, with the 180 or so CFI's in Australia. A CFI can only impart the safety message when it's part & parcel of airmanship. Airmanship can only be taught on the job, and mostly in the cockpit. It just won't happen when 'safety' is presented as some hairy fairy subject by a professional 'trainer'. I say no more on this subject. happy days,

I think you are about 80% correct poteroo. I do however believe that reinforcement of what is taught is the cockpit is everyones responsibility.

'Airy , fairy is a vague concept. HAIRY is SCARY, flying. Perhaps Coordinator is the key word. Whatever happens, it must translate to a positive result in the field, or it's not effective. Nev

I personally believe it should be a combination of both class room human factors and airmanship in the cockpit, they go hand in hand I think and I think also that the class room should be a continuous thing over a year say every 6 months not just a one off course never to be revised again..

I think it is just like driving, there are a lot of people out there that have been driving for years but are need of a refresher course in safety, new rules eg: mobile phones and the like to try and knock out some bad habits that they may have developed over the years, I think that the same would apply to flying...maybe even more important from the safety point of view.

As always it seems it comes down to the cost of running these courses but I think if you are serious about safety and airmanship this needs to be looked at.

David

• Agree 1

Could be true, but hopefully not. If things go in a direction you don't like, say something about it. Apathy is not an option if you really want something done. Nev

Nev, Some guys on here have copped a bucketing for daring to say, RA-Aus has lost the original, intended, purpose and direction. (of course! not in those words)

I can just see it!...Letter to, Ross Millard, local RA-Aus Nth Qld area rep.... Dear Sir, I wish to bring to your attention, the fact that I believe, we, the original rag and tube Ultralight owners and pilots, see the RA-Aus as having forgotten the real purpose it was originally set up to achieve. It has now become an organisation, mainly focused on the LSA ...Blah..Blah...Blah...Blah...Blah.

I`m sure I will be able to implement change.....Sarcasm,intended.

Frank.

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Franco , these days most shows are full of "faults" silly rules and such. I generally like to give the BOARD a bit of leeway rather than criticise too much. Most try hard for little credit given. I've been in that position many times in other organisations. The good part is you do get to meet people with similar aims. Things "progress" Ha Ha, in a direction all of their own but you have to make the most of it. Work with whatever is there, but for the last 6 years or so (I'm not being precise). I'm wondering if it is worth it with all the BS, and the lack of confidence in it coming out right for the future.

About 10 years ago we looked like we had close to the world's best set up. Cheers Nev

• Winner 1

I suspect it may be almost impossible to keep the 1970's rag and tube devotees happy and engaged when RA has also to keep big brother aka CASA on side and convinced our organisation is worthy of its support.

Apart from trikes, rag and tube aircraft and their pilots are on the decline so RAA future survival lies not with them

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2