Shyyyte

Russ

Was lead to believe that wet wing jabs flew fine, if one tank ran dry...............ol mate recently proved that wrong, fan stopped, RH tank guage showed zero, LH tank guage showed 1/3rd.

Had plenty of height, knew he did have fuel, so spiralled right to transfer fuel across, hit the go button, all's good.

So there you go...............( fly level on those long legs, or beware )

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forgot............another flyer recently fitted a brand spanker 3.3 engine, first real flight all's good, then oil spewing up windscreen, along side windows etc........shyte, managed a landing, engine now stuffed. Problem traced to oil hose to cooler split open near barb. Hoses supplied with cooler, cooler yank, hoses CHINESE stamped on them.

$10 hose, costs $$$$$ engine rebuild.

• Informative 3

Forgot............another flyer recently fitted a brand spanker 3.3 engine, first real flight all's good, then oil spewing up windscreen, along side windows etc........shyte, managed a landing, engine now stuffed. Problem traced to oil hose to cooler split open near barb. Hoses supplied with cooler, cooler yank, hoses CHINESE stamped on them.$10 hose, costs $$$$$ engine rebuild.

What is the manufacturer going to do about it?

Alan.

After market.......outcome ??? ( yet to hear ).......poss prob tho, it was purchased some time ago at beginning of build.

After market.......outcome ??? ( yet to hear ).......poss prob tho, it was purchased some time ago at beginning of build.

When I built mine, by the time I got it flying I had to replace just about all the rubbers and hoses.

With so much of everything, being made in China, how can anyone know what`s reliable and what`s not?...You only find out after the event.

Frank.

• Like 1

With so much of everything, being made in China, how can anyone know what`s reliable and what`s not?...You only find out after the event.Frank.

Well Frank, you could start with price, it's a reasonable indication.

Chinese Daughter who is in Canada, bought a cheap umbrella "Made in China" on Sunday because she couldn't actually buy at least a medium priced one as she normally would and it was actually raining, it broke when she as putting it down. She can not believe that Western people buy this rubbish, irony is that crap doesn't sell in China.

But just wait till the cheap Indian crap starts coming through soon, China looks down at that stuff just as some of you look down at Chinese stuff, no surprise to me that some of the "Made in China" stuff is actually "Made in India" already, has been for a while and slowly increasing.

Then of course there's the internet ... http://www.aussiehoses.com/

• Like 1

Well Frank, you could start with price, it's a reasonable indication.

Bex, I don`t have any problem with Chinese products!...Crap is crap regardless of who makes it...As for the oil hose that split, the fact that it was stamped, Made in China, doesn`t tell me much about the reason it split.

Years ago, when Japan started taking over the world with their cheaper products, they were called (by some) "Jap Crap!" Now China has taken over the world,with it`s products.

With the cost of production here in Australia, I reckon there won`t be much being manufactured here, in years to come! Unless the cost of production can be reduced, so that the Australian product,will be able to compete......My opinion only!

Frank.

• Agree 1

Fuel system needs a redesign, that sort of thing should not happen.

Must have a sore arse cheek to fly for so long out of balance. To empty one tank and then after it is empty continue to drain the header tank - I don't think I could stand, even as a pax, to last that long.

Nothing new about balanced flying and caution to be used in turns when fuel is getting low e.g. A36 has yellow arcs on the guages not suitable for take off and caution operating in that area and you don't have the option of selecting Both.

Cross feed in a Jab is easy to keep fuel level in both tanks - if you let one get down by flying out of balance for a while simply apply opposite rudder [only half a ball is sufficent] for a couple of minutes and you have even fuel distribution again.

• Informative 1

She can not believe that Western people buy this rubbish, irony is that crap doesn't sell in China.

Plenty of cheap crap there, from the looks of a lot of what I saw in the back street stalls it is seconds and factory rejects. With a price reflecting that.

But yeah, a lot of my friends over there would pay extra for a "Made in XXX" sticker where XXX did not equal China.

Well Frank, you could start with price, it's a reasonable indication.Chinese Daughter ....snip .... She can not believe that Western people buy this rubbish, irony is that crap doesn't sell in China.

Have a Japanese friend who assured me that Chinese stuff in Japan is usually of high quality. Because Japanese buyers are fastidious and will not buy crap. Attempts to sell downgrade quality there failed and so they send their good quality stuff to Japan and their crap stuff to Oz. I've been to Japan many times and have to say I rarely ever saw crap quality stuff.

Guest Maj Millard

I won't fit any rubber hose that doesn't have 'Made in the USA' written on it. There's a lot of dangerous stuff out there from Asian countries and a lot it of is lucky to make two years safe service in an aircraft. Generally found in cheep auto outlets, and some of the bigger ones are now owned by Asian consortiums.

May work for your tractor but not for your flying machine.

I'm not a fan of the oil line connectors used in Jab installations. I did mine using AN6 fittings and braided Teflon lines. These won't fail in a hurry.

For those interested my oil cooler installation and changes to air management has resulted in very good (low) CHT's. Just done the 75 hour service and there has been no 'head recession'. No movement in head bolts and tappet clearances stable.

Loz

1073190678_2014-08-2018_19_04.jpg.42cc8fdbb7ff99be209f7041e52390d7.jpg

1559865602_2014-08-2018_19_45.jpg.ad51b332806a7be499b6051e3a787d58.jpg

23365979_2014-02-1321_15_16.jpg.27d6df36a94fa722be9ac5d1d68979f8.jpg

1327996845_2014-08-2018_17_42.jpg.f2a19f08777156d2257ae51910a8e993.jpg

1733306340_2014-08-2116_36_40.jpg.2cd5503740205ef6a5b61adcd0ea3df8.jpg

1560530116_2014-09-0615_37_25.jpg.eed1472e3874aec82df08ed0fae121a1.jpg

2078537708_2014-09-1617_44_51.jpg.13841c2e13c489b33df04da4caf083df.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wing tank Jabs do have even feed issue

They also have guages which can drop to zero then recover. No way fuel can actually transer that fast through small hose

I have zero fuel on rh tank every take off, its ok by 1000ft

Also you have header tank and many have, or should have, low fuel light giving 15 l or so warnng

Did the engine actually stop?

Air lock in hoses or blocked tank caps

Leave elctric pump on all the time helps prevent uneven tanks for some reson

Leave elctric pump on all the time helps prevent uneven tanks for some reson

one time i was putting along, noticed my fuel burn was noticeably higher than norm.. ( cruise is around 15LPH )but this time the burn was much more, i realised my aux fuel pump was still on, ( i turn pump on to prime carby bowl etc, then turn it off, but forgot this time to turn it off ) fuel burn immediately returned to 15 when i turned the pump off.

Yep, ill almost guarantee this is a measurement issue not real fuel use

The pulses from facet pump causes meter to overspin

Can be improved by adjusting sensor location but it can be hard to fix with impeller type flow sensors

I think Dynon use a different type now because of this issue

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Don't knock chinese, Australia can produce equally poor goods, but the price is nowhere near as low.

I am having problems with a Solahart water heater, would have done better to buy Chinese junk.

Guest Andys@coffs
Don't knock chinese, Australia can produce equally poor goods, but the price is nowhere near as low.I am having problems with a Solahart water heater, would have done better to buy Chinese junk.

No...I did that and it didn't end well at all...the Chinese storage tank was a disaster....... I purchased an Australian made "Everlast" stainless storage tank as a replacement that was designed for solar system and my problems were pretty much gone....

The trick with any Solar system where the storage tank and the solar collectors are not all in the one system, is to understand that capacity of the system isn't a function of the stated Litres in the tank, but rather the point in the tank that the electric element is installed. If the tank is 250 Litres, but the element is 1/2 way up then the capacity of hot water when the sun don't shine is only 1/2 of the stated 250Litres....... you cant heat water below the element........ So on sunny days you can heat the full 250Litres to a temp that is acceptable, but in winter on a crappy day you'll only have 1/2 that available..... It is , unfortunately a fact that in weather when the most solar water is available is the time of year when you least need it, and when its cold and crappy you have the least available and the greatest demand. In summer when the system generates all you need it then turns off and allows the water past the header to generate steam....... size the system in terms of amount of vacuum tubes to meet fully your need in July...For a family of 4 (with 2 teenager girls) I wouldn't get less than 60 tubes...which is 50% more than what they will tell you , you need. Unless there was a huge saving Id go for 80 (2 x 40 rather than 1 x 40 and 1 x 20.....

Andy

Guest ozzie

Once a fuel system suck air it is hard to get it to start sucking fuel again. Either fit a couple fuel cocks at each tank or a big fat balance pipe.

As for hoses GA has to pressure test theirs and considering how much investment there is in both life and machine it is a smart move for parrots. Simple to make up a hydraulic mule from car brake master cylinder and some fittings.

Avoid non reinforced hose

Avoid fabric braid reinforced hose

Use thick walled metal braid reinforced hose

Avoid seamed metal pipe. Pay a little extra and go non seamed stainless for all applications.

Old saying buy cheap buy twice.

Forgot............another flyer recently fitted a brand spanker 3.3 engine, first real flight all's good, then oil spewing up windscreen, along side windows etc........shyte, managed a landing, engine now stuffed. Problem traced to oil hose to cooler split open near barb. Hoses supplied with cooler, cooler yank, hoses CHINESE stamped on them.$10 hose, costs $$$$$ engine rebuild.

update.........engine supplier has agreed to rebuild to brand new again, owner pays for parts only......how good is that. ( considering melt down was caused by oil cooler hose blowout.........not supplied by engine builder/supplier )

Engine builder/suppler begins with "C"...ends with "T" ....now that's what i call service in capital letters.

As to the cooler supplier........i think it's not so good, yet to hear.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

No...I did that and it didn't end well at all...the Chinese storage tank was a disaster....... I purchased an Australian made "Everlast" stainless storage tank as a replacement that was designed for solar system and my problems were pretty much gone....

I find that simply unlucky as China is the world's largest user of roof top solar water heaters, even to the point of bizzare in some cities when you see them crowded on the roofs of apartment buildings. Looking out my window I would say every second home has one in my affluent area. Mine is 9 years old and no problems at all other than an ECU replaced after a lightning strike. It was $300 fully installed back then, I guess about double that now.

What was wrong with your tank?

• Informative 1