Hiring something you've not flown before

Just wondering what's required for hiring something you've not flown before. If I'm on holidays somewhere and wanted to do some flying but the local FTF doesn't have anything I've flown before. Is it just a case of getting a check ride?

Variable I would think. It's up to them who they let loose in their aircraft. Study all their local area data when you first get there. It may be possible by arrangement to do a check with someone who they know and trust before you go on your trip. If it is something you haven't flown before, I doubt anyone would just allow you to jump in it, unless you have an impressive record, where you might just do one circuit. It would look bad for them otherwise wouldn't it? Nev

I hired a C152 with only Jab and Warrior experience. Just went up for 3 circuits with the owner. But then, there isn't much difference between the Jab and the 152. I am not sure if i wanted to hire a Diamond or 182, i am sure they would want a lot more comfort level. Good topic.

@FH....No, I would probably even expect a couple circuits in something I have flown. Was just wondering what folks had experienced or done before. You make a good point about knowing the area before hand though...I was asking generally, but later in the year I'm planning to holiday up at the Gold Coast.

@Av...I'm doing my RPL conversion at the moment so interesting you mentioned hiring the c152. Depends where we go and what's available but I'm doing my coversion in a 152 at the moment.

I think it depends on what you are hiring. Most of my experience of hiring was in the USA but ranged from a quick trip to the training area to demonstrate a few stalls and then a few circuits to one guy who really only came for a circut because i asked. I do think it depends on how current you are and whether you scare them in the first 5 minutes.

I got checked out at the local aeroclub back home when I was there, was a C172 which I had not flown, and the first Cessna as well. We did about 4 circuits and they wanted to see a departure, was class C, then hey were happy.

don't forget renter's insurance if you are doing this in the US and a preflight documenting any prior damage with photos

Good point...I do a good walk around for a car hire and take photos of damage on my phone, so carrying across this practice to aircraft hire is probably a good idea :).

I got checked out at the local aeroclub back home when I was there, was a C172 which I had not flown, and the first Cessna as well. We did about 4 circuits and they wanted to see a departure, was class C, then hey were happy.

Ben, I take it that was before your current licence and c210 time?

I agree but for sure but, I would have only had about 200hrs so I doubt I would have given me much trust either!!034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

On the other side of it, I just did a renewal and Mum and Dad visited in Adelaide since I hadn't seen them for a couple of years. Wanted to take them up in a single after the renewal, and they wouldn't do it without a full check-ride.... Made no sense to me, I would have more single hours this year then any of their instructors and wasn't like I was unfamiliar with the area.013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Would have been a $600 check ride to do a $270 local scenic

It's interesting how times have changed somewhat,. . .

I went to a little airfield in Southern Spain in 1984 and asked about hiring, and what I needed to do. . . .they looked at my logbook, and said that they needed to see a couple of circuits and that this would be OK. I said, fine, . . .and an instructor climbed in to the battered 182, ( Looked like it had been at the battle of Guernica, and shot down. . . ) and my two mates climbed in the back. We then did ONE big circuit, ONE landing, which by a stroke of incredible luck,. . . was Good. .and the instructor said,. . .OK, no probelm, so I signed for it, left a deposit of many thousands of pesetas,. . . and off we went.

We flew around, both of my drinking buddies had a go, having to change over from front to back in flight. . . up and down the costas a bit, but after an hour and a quarter,. . . it became fairly obvious that a thunderstorm was brewing. . .( I couldn't read the Spanish MET forecast before we left, but the FBO said that there was no significant weathr which would bother us. . . .yeah,. . .right. . . . ) and the only sensible course of action was to divert and land at Malaga Intl. airport, and wait it out.. They were very helpful with the weather divert, and the landing / handling fee was (in Pesetas ). . .just under Seven Quid. ! [ 14 bux ]

Their ATC phoned the airfield we'd hired from as I told them they would probably be worried about their aeroplane. . ., and said that we were fine, and we got free drinks and food whilst we were stuck on the ground for 2.5 hours.

And people tell me the Spanish are a miserable lot ? ? ? Rubbish! they were bloody brilliant !

We were able to depart Malaga with no drama, and return to point of origin without any hassle at all and the whole excercise was deemed a bloody good day out !

Total cost ? around £50 .00 . . . . ( OK, sorry . .$100 between three of us. . . ) Larf ? . . .I nearly $hat myself it was so cheap. . . . . two and three quarter hours of good flying ?. . . .! The aeroplane wouldn't win a beauty contest, but everything on it worked, and it flew like oiled silk. ( what's that in Spanish. . . .dunno. . .)

Phil. . . .

I agree but for sure but, I would have only had about 200hrs so I doubt I would have given me much trust either!!034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gifOn the other side of it, I just did a renewal and Mum and Dad visited in Adelaide since I hadn't seen them for a couple of years. Wanted to take them up in a single after the renewal, and they wouldn't do it without a full check-ride.... Made no sense to me, I would have more single hours this year then any of their instructors and wasn't like I was unfamiliar with the area.013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Would have been a $600 check ride to do a $270 local scenic

I can't see how they could justify $600 for a check ride. If you are known to the organization it should only be a couple of circuits if you are not within their insurance recency requirements. Unfortunately the variation in ability is huge and for an organization to rent out their pride and joy to an unknown is just too risky without a decent check ride. You only have to go to a reasonably active CTAF airfield and listen to the radio and watch to see plenty you wouldn't want to hire your plane to. It's about their ability but also their behavior in your aircraft. And it's not just the amateurs either. I've seen the occasional airline pilot who has a lot of trouble adapting to the smaller planes. They improve quickly but I've had to intervene in the first landing or two occasionally to save the undercarriage until they remember it's not an 747.

• Agree 1

Any recommendations on hiring in Gold Coast area? Tecnam, Storch or Texan preferable...or in GA, I'm converting to RPL in c152 at the moment and hopefully will get checked on a Warrior as well.

I just did my AFR in a C172. Haven't flown a tricycle for 2 years since my last one which I did in a C182. I think it's good to take the opportunity to get out of ones comfort zone and fly something different.

It was fun and it didn't take long to remember where all the dials and gauges were...and there were lots of them lol.

How different was it?

I was able to see down the runway as I opened the throttle; there were 3 radios (!); I couldn't find the stick so had to use the "steering wheel"; controls felt heavy; I couldn't work the brakes with my heels; no flap handle to bang against my headset; and my speed on final was nearly 10 knots higher than my Vfe in the Auster...BUT

Hey, it was fun. And I felt comfortable like I was getting back into the old family car. I did 15 minutes under the hood and it was easy flying blind with an AH instead of just the T&S. The PFL worked out really well and I squeeked a glide final at YYWG along the way.

I'm glad I did it. It cost me more than doing it in my own aircraft but it tested me more, too. And it's reassuring to know that it's a level of skill and not just habit that gets me off the ground and back down again in one piece at my age.

So now I'm going to get one of those Part 61 licence thingys! Pity...the old one has had the same photo for the last 20 years and I looked better then!

Kaz

• Like 3

Re: steering wheel

I found I kept wanting to use it like a car, instead of using my feet to steer! Just felt really unnatural.

Re: heavy controls

Not so much the 152, but I had to trim all the time in the Cherokee & warrior. First landing was kind of flat partly because of the heavy controls...and coz the panel was so high (compared to tecnam).

Presume you are talking about taxying and I can understand that.

The Citabria has light pitch loads but a lot of trim change with speed change as distinct from heavy control load. The ailerons are heavy in action. (frise ailerons). A Chipmunk has nice control feel. (Rods all through)

IF you want heavy controls consider a Dougls DC4.. 72,000 lbs + all up weight and NO powered controls.

Used to be described as like putting both feet in a bucket and lifting yourself off the ground by your hands, by the handle Nev