From "Popular Mechanics" magazine June 1961

Faskinatin mate ! ! ! !

Got to plagiarise that and read it at leisure ! The "Anti-Commie" undercurrent is there all the way through, though that was around at the time I guess.

Good read, Thanks for the link

Phil

Interesting articles and great value for only 35 cents. Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember when most of the advertised products were new.

rgmwa

Wow, I read the Men Past 40 section and realize now that all my ailments are due to "glandular inflammation".

Yeah mine too. Well maybe not inflamed glands but overactive glands - My salivary glands and my stomach glands.

• Agree 1

Popular Mechanics is a really good place for some recreational reading. I love to go right back to the 1910s and follow the development of aviation through the pages of this magazine. It is also a good source of old-time DIY stuff and you would be surprised how long ago a lot of the nick-nacks we use now were invented

Here's the link to the whole archive. You should add it to your bookmarks folder.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=A9EDAAAAMBAJ&as_pt=MAGAZINES&source=gbs_other_issues&hl=en

OME

Wasn't there an aircraft design in Popular Mechanics, way back in the 30s, which is actually still flying. Maybe it was the design for Miss Sandgate, based near Biloela

Guest ozzie
Wasn't there an aircraft design in Popular Mechanics, way back in the 30s, which is actually still flying. Maybe it was the design for Miss Sandgate, based near Biloela

Yes the Corben Baby Ace. Was in the Popular Mechanix magazine 1955 May issue."Build this 'plane for under $800.00 including engine"

Write up in the June issue of EAA Sport Aviation mag. Paul Poberezny built one back then and decided to build another in 2012 that would be his last homebuilt as he past on during it's construction.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting adverts, toned it back a bit today but they still have a few fag ads etc. PM have always been very pro-aviation and there is a 'learning to fly' series running currently.

Pretty bad no? But recall that our government uses our taxes to hand out free fags to illegal immigrants in detention, so must be OK apparently.

My older brother collected the Whole seiries, Popular mechanix & Mechanics illustrated. when I sent them for auction, the auction house said, " of no value and sent them to the tip"

Wish I had them now!,

spacesailor

The Pietenpole complete with ford model A engine would have been the first in 1928. Plans were published a page at a time in several issues. Many still getting built. Chas.

Still a very popular plans built type in the UK too. . . quite a few under construction.