Fire extinguishers

gandalph

A 2 part question:

Where do people mount their fire extinguishers in those Jabs that have the tank mounted behind the seats? And,

What type/ size of extinguisher do you have?

Any pics of installations would be great.

Guest ivan4ilse
I don't carry an extinguisher..Do you know the story about the Jabiru at Bundaberg with the fire?

..Bruce

Give us the story, sounds interesting/scary

As I heard it.... The Jabiru ( instructor plus student) was in the vicinity of the airfield when they smelled smoke. So they gave all the mayday calls and landed promptly and got out the plane as soon as they could. The plane caught fire.

Meantime, a fire-truck was caught at the locked gates to the airfield. The gates are locked for safety reasons of course.

Well the Jabiru burned at the front end, but the fuel tank ( half full of fuel) DIDN'T catch fire.

This story told me a lot about how the safety system works.

Depends how long the firemen took to find the bolt cutters in the tool box. Once the fire got hold it would be only seconds before who knows what.

The story as I read it was that they were discussing the legal ramifications of using the boltcutters while the Jabiru burned. Welcome to the new world where fear of litigation rules. I would like to be wrong about this, so don't feel shy if you know more.

• Caution 1

The story as I read it was that they were discussing the legal ramifications of using the boltcutters while the Jabiru burned. Welcome to the new world where fear of litigation rules. I would like to be wrong about this, so don't feel shy if you know more.

I find that hard to believe, I am apart of the emergency response team at work, because we are isolated, we have have had formal training in Fire and Rescue as well as Hazmat. We wouldn't think twice about cutting a lock off.

• Agree 1

Plenty of security chains or padlocks need more than boltcutters, and if locked from inside might not be that easy to access.

If the people were out and safe, protecting the smoking Jab might not have been seen as very important.

• Agree 1

A 2 part question:Where do people mount their fire extinguishers in those Jabs that have the tank mounted behind the seats? And,

What type/ size of extinguisher do you have?

Any pics of installations would be great.

Just trying to nudge us back to the original questions.....099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Gandalph: Amerex quoted $180 plus GST plus freight. However, we did a bulk buy of about a dozen for SABC club members, and with the bulk buy discount I ended up paying $181.50 all up about 2 months ago. We also had to wait about 6 weeks for supplies to come in. I imagine the price for new orders may have gone up a bit with the falling dollar. By way of comparison, we were quoted $330 each (!!) at a well known aviation retailer at Jandakot.

rgmwa

• Helpful 1