Aerochute Crash near Mackay

Seeing the news today about the PPC incident,apparently the pilot was not injured as he quickly put his trike away and drove away before the police arrived.Hope they find him,pardon the french but what a jerk.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goss is he was also Unlicensed and Unregistered.

Started Mustering cattle on Horses, then we used Motorbikes and Now quads. All of these modes could kill you when your chasing cattle over rough ground. Plenty of other things Farmers do can kill them. ATV's are OK but not as manoeuvrable

• Agree 1

Seeing the news today about the PPC incident,apparently the pilot was not injured as he quickly put his trike away and drove away before the police arrived.Hope they find him,pardon the french but what a jerk.

I was wondering about that...

I have seen this Aerochute in town...at least I imagine there is only one. He won't be hard to find. It's not such a big place.

And by the way...this is getting BIG publicity. Perhaps BAD publicity.

I came across this on Social Media before coming to this sight and finding this thread. I think there were a lot of locals with their smartphones pointed at the sky who may now sharing.

• Like 1

In regards to the atv's, we have just purchased a Polaris sportsman ace. I've never liked Polaris but they are the only one that does the single seat 'buggy'. IMHO it is perfect for all the jobs we used to do with the atv but you have a decent seat and rollcage (with seatbelt of course.)

When out west we used two wheelers as well as four wheelers for mustering and they both had their good and bad points. If mustering early morning the two wheelers had a tendency to throw you through the scrub when hitting wet slimy logs at an angle whereas the four wheelers wouldn't so much, but if the cows were acting up and you had to ride a bit harder it was easy to get caught out with the four wheelers putting a wheel into a sink hole and rolling base over apex. The last few years the inlaws have changed to the side by side buggies but they still have their issues, for starters they are as good as useless through the scrub as they are just too wide and high so the two wheelers still have their place. But I do think Polaris with their single seat ACE are on a winner and they are priced similar to most big brand atv (a side by side can am will set you back over 20k!)

• Winner 1

In regards to the atv's, we have just purchased a Polaris sportsman ace. I've never liked Polaris but they are the only one that does the single seat 'buggy'. IMHO it is perfect for all the jobs we used to do with the atv but you have a decent seat and rollcage (with seatbelt of course.)When out west we used two wheelers as well as four wheelers for mustering and they both had their good and bad points. If mustering early morning the two wheelers had a tendency to throw you through the scrub when hitting wet slimy logs at an angle whereas the four wheelers wouldn't so much, but if the cows were acting up and you had to ride a bit harder it was easy to get caught out with the four wheelers putting a wheel into a sink hole and rolling base over apex. The last few years the inlaws have changed to the side by side buggies but they still have their issues, for starters they are as good as useless through the scrub as they are just too wide and high so the two wheelers still have their place. But I do think Polaris with their single seat ACE are on a winner and they are priced similar to most big brand atv (a side by side can am will set you back over 20k!)

I have about 600 hours driving Polaris Ranger 500's, at work out in the bush. I used them as my daily drive for a couple of years. Awesome suspension and as they are 3 seaters, they are wide and stable. The Yamaha Rhino at work only being a two seater is a lot more unstable on slopes. The Polaris though go through a few CV joints.

Back to the thread, the pilot is a silly billy.

• Agree 1

Yes, engine failed to put out the 200 hp needed to escape. You can hear him open the throttle way too late.

Made the Melbourne channels too; this could have as big an effect as the Hume Weir beatup.

• Agree 2

I'd be surprised if there wern't some injuries there......

yes maj the only ones injured is going to be us

hope everyone has hospital cover cause this piece off stupidity is going to hurt

oh well blame everybody for this mentally deficient idiot is what is going to happen

not a happy chappy neil

• Agree 2

I have never seen anything this stupid before. Maybe 20ft over the crowd?? Below and between trees?? absolute moron. Could have done the same lolly drop from a decent altitude and been safe, if he had got permission to do so. No rules will stop an idiot. RAA rules simply don't apply if he isnt Rego'd or an PC holder. However i am sure there will be some other "agencies" dying to speak with him. If he has never been a PC holder or even properly trained he may not even know what the rules are. This is not a case of breaking the rules, it's a case of selfishness and stupidity.

2 crashes recently, both urego'd and no PC. The question is why are there so many not affiliated with RAA? There will be many like that just quietly going about their business in remote areas, but to take an unlicensed aircraft and pilot to a big public event, behave like a moron and expect to stay under the radar??

• Agree 2

Not a good day for our intrepid flyer. Though he did survive so some luck went his way.. So much for the reputation of our sport. If he hasn't done the human factors course he may have a way out. because I'm sure it would have prevented it. Nev

He packed it on the ute and disappeared before authorities arrived. An Aerochute arriving on a ute will attract attention. 20 mins to set up an no one in authority there noticed or asked him what it was or what he was doing? I,m not convinced the organizers knew nothing of this.

• Agree 5

I've had a bit of time to kill (went for a fly this morning) so I have been looking at this video a little.

We've had a fair few comments about him getting the power on too late, but watching it again a couple of times it sounds to me like he had full power from the start except for about two seconds where it sounds like the revs reduce a little and then recover. BUT I'm not sure how true that is as the sound naturally changes as he goes over the camera and it's hard to tell how much is angle related.

Also it appears that at the start of the video he is very very low almost takeoff like, does anyone know if he had been up and was doing a low pass or if he decided to take off towards the crowd?

Yes quite a stupid thing to do, but we might as well learn from his mistakes as they might cost us enough. It always amazes me that people think more regulations will stop these sort of things, it is the same as the gun debate. People who are already breaking a few laws won't mind if you add another to that list.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

He didn't lose power, it came off a bit near overhead but put it back on. If you look at the left trailing edge of the chute it is pulled down (slows down the left side) before getting to the tree steering into the tree. My guess, doing 2 things at once, left hand on controls and leaning down with right hand looking for more lollies inadvertently turning into the tree.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1