Plane Down

Coming round to Ballarat from Daylesford can be pretty tricky with low cloud on rising ground. You need to be able to turnaround at all times if it's not up to keeping terrain clearance and preserving visibility. (If I have the area right that he was flying in). Not good . Keeps happening. Nev.

Coming round to Ballarat from Daylesford can be pretty tricky with low cloud on rising ground. You need to be able to turnaround at all times if it's not up to keeping terrain clearance and preserving visibility. (If I have the area right that he was flying in). Not good . Keeps happening. Nev.

FH,

It was a she, a very sad day for another family, heart goes out for this girls loved ones

• Agree 1

Holy crap! What went so wrong here? What was the weather in the area like?

In a word? Sh**t. Cloud to the ground around that area, gusting winds and drizzle.

We spent most of the day in freezing cold rainy Ballarat yesterday, and it wasn't until late arvo that the clouds started lifting.

Non-flying event yesterday in our part of the world.

-Linda

Channel 7 4.00pm news said she was 19 years old.

Jeez, what a tragedy. It's sad enough when someone in their 70's is killed, when they've had a full life and raised a family. She had her whole life ahead of her.

• Agree 4

After seeing aerial footage of the accident scene, I located the accident site on Google Earth, and can only say she was incredibly unlucky. THe ground she appears to have collided with is the only rased ground around that area. The plane came down in a low cup of earth capped with trees, a very unique landmark. See the attached images. The arrow shows direction of travel, X the impact spot and the star is the location from which the Street View was taken.

General locality.

2008999168_Millbrooklocality.jpg.0e957818254f76a4dd1d8b7a6e5db40b.jpg

Overhead.

909234531_Millbrookoverhead.jpg.13352d84dd8a6536210ccaf2c1cff2bd.jpg

Street View.

606609814_Millbrookstreetview.jpg.ee8cc2a6c5d1100d1886d310105411c2.jpg

• Informative 1

I was supposed to do a solo nav today. Same model aircraft. Clear skies, but wicked turbulence near the ranges, so decided to terminate the flight. Today was a good day. How could they let a student go off on a solo flight on a day like suggested?

• Agree 3

From an outsider looking in, I will have to assume that with risk management that all of us are surrounded in these days. I'm sure they would have looked at the weather very closely and then made a risk assessment. Unfortunately, these things happen and I don't think anybody in particular should or will wear the blame.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

I remember back to the days when I did my PPL Xcountry navs in the same type aircraft. On one shorter one my instructor kept me back for a couple of days because of smoke haze in the Central Valley of California because the farmers were burning rice husks. This frustrated me to no end especially when he made me spend the time waiting making out new flight plans.

One the final 300 nm one with two landings at unfamiliar airports there was no way I was going until the WX was fine.

Looking back it was really one big lesson in good decision making.

It's got to be a huge decision to be made by any instructor to send a very keen and anxious student off in less than ideal weather. I would imagine he would have some explaining to do to the CASA boys ATM.

forget about CASA he will be trying to live with that for the rest of his life...

Poor or stupid fella made a bad or terrrible call and will pay for it forever on a personal level, as will her family and freinds.

CASA will be the least of his problems