Caption Competition

pmccarthy

"When his engine failed, Percy cursed his luck; however, a perfect deadstick landing, shortly followed by the realisation that he would have to spend the night at Mrs Fotheringham's Finishing School for Young Ladies, restored his good humour considerably."

• Haha 4
  • Winner 2

"Of all places to do an outfield landing, surely this one at Applewood Methodist School for Girls would have to be the most embarrassing, especially as I was to take the head prefect out to dinner on Friday night!"

Can I have a second go...?

"It was perhaps unfortunate that Wilhelmina had misunderstood Percy's invitation; having assumed that this 'Mile High' Club was simply an aviator's clubroom, she informed all of her school chums about her upcoming initiation. Strangely, Percy seemed to have no objection to the other girls joining as well."

• Haha 3

"Having seen that kack handed Margaret land the little Moth without so much as bounce we all ran for next go - jolly good fun and much safer than polo cross"

Q - why have you all assumed its a boy getting out of the plane?

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

"Having seen that kack handed Margaret land the little Moth without so much as bounce we all ran for next go - jolly good fun and much safer than polo cross"Q - why have you all assumed its a boy getting out of the plane?

...because it gives better scope for better captions!

• Agree 1

"Having seen that kack handed Margaret land the little Moth without so much as bounce we all ran for next go - jolly good fun and much safer than polo cross"Q - why have you all assumed its a boy getting out of the plane?

Probability, based on the apparent era (girl's dresses and aircraft).

Avro Avian? ( Just from memory) Probably a generic Gypsy Moth. I can't think of anything else it might be..Nev

Possibly, but the Avian usually has the cylinder heads sticking out the top of the cowl.

More like a Gypsy Moth - that tail is definitely De Havilland shaped, nose is still not quite right though.

Ok, the picture comes from the Australian Girls Annual for 1931 so the plane is pre-1931. The story is Flying Betty of the Fifth by Frances Cowen. The pilot in the picture is....Betty! She is taught to fly by the Honourable Rupert Nye, who first flew with Sir Alan Cobham and flies out of the Binsmere aviation camp. The plane is a Moth.

But don't give up on the captions....

• Like 1

They all look as if they are falling over (The girls) . I go for the Gypsy Moth. I have actually flown one VH -ULM Part of a series of rego's. No connection with Charles Ulm. You could have the engine exposed at the top, and open valve gear is visible as well as an exhaust pipe all down the side, but some may have been cowled in cooler climates.

Just as a bit of extra info... Geoffrey DeHavilland got to an altitude of 24,000 feet in one in about 1924. Nev