For those who love or hate Dick (Smith)

Cosmick

I bought my mum a 5.5" android phone from hong kong for $270 octacore processor, 3G of ram, 16G flash. android 5.1same thing from dick smith about $400

That is completely irrelevant, this is about Dick Smith the person and his food company.

• Agree 3

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the cannery would be selling to overseas markets, beetroot is considered winter food for horses in some markets, so it's not a highly valued foodstuff.

Dick could have just told the farmers to move on and grow something other than beetroot... but no, give him a mike and stick him in front of a camera.

Well he donated $4,000,000 more than I can muster up so good on him. You may not like his politics or the way he does things but he puts his money where his mouth and face is......no one has ever seen you at any event FT or on here....so how do we know you are just not a wayward facist AI robot ?

• Agree 1

Dick is a smart business man if he is paying 49c in the dollar in tax the 4 mil really equates to a bit over 2 mil after being used as a deduction and the free advertising he is getting by handing over giant cheques on TV is well worth the cost if he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart he would just send a cheque or deliver it without the hooplah.

• Winner 1

Just like Paul Newman spaghetti sauce, These blokes don't have to help other people, they choose to because they can afford to and they care. Can't stand listening to FT pouring his negative crap on Dick because he uses his recognised face to further the cause. His face is part of his gift to society. Dick Smith foods will still be doing good long after Dick is done for and good on him for it.

Dick's ego is as big and brazen as the hottest aussie summer

See Glen McGrath at it again boosting his ego to promote the breast cancer charity that he put his name to, on the telly every year, without fail. These blokes never fail.

• Like 2

Dick is a smart business man if he is paying 49c in the dollar in tax the 4 mil really equates to a bit over 2 mil after being used as a deduction and the free advertising he is getting by handing over giant cheques on TV is well worth the cost if he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart he would just send a cheque or deliver it without the hooplah.

Dick Smith Foods Pty Ltd is a taxable entity. If all the profits are given to The Trustee for Dick Smith Foods Foundation which is a registered charity then no tax from profits would be paid. This is no different than any company making a donation to a charity.

While Dick Smith could write a cheque for a couple of million that does not help the farmers, packers, truckies and all the other people who earn an income from the products sold by Dick Smith Foods. The real value is not $4 million but likely $40 plus million worth of activity in communities that need and want to work. Don't give them charity, give them a job.

Dick Smith Foods gives people work and then any profits are given to charity via the The Dick Smith Foods Foundation.

I feel like some Ozemite about now.

• Agree 3

Look at Warnie's charity, his brother was getting paid $140K a year to run it 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

So why is Dick Smith Foods failing? Its gone from a peak of $80M to $8M and falling fast. Well its obvious, DSF doesn't actually produce anything other than the marketing. They really on Australian food manufacturers to provide them with finished goods they can sell. And why aren't food manufacturers supplying DSF? they are essentially creating more competition for shelf space which drives up their selling costs. So why doesn't DSFs start manufacturing finished foodstuffs? Well that would require DS to put up some serious cash.

Dick Smith Electronics in receivership

CXquokGUsAAZRpp.jpg

FT,You can not buy local beetroot at my local supermarkets- not in a tin or vaccum bagged.

The only way I can get it- is at the green grocer and cook it myself.

Nor can I buy local bacon- it is all made from Canadian pork, because the profit is bigger. They claim Australian manufactured- not grown.

All Edgell brand beetroot is canned at Echuca, Victoria. The beetroot and the cans are local. After Heinz bought the Golden Circle business they moved beetroot production to Hastings, NZ.

Poor Dick Smith Electronics gone under.

I remember the days when I used to get all my ham radio gear from dickys.

Think the Dick Smith Electronics owners are dodgy, they announce they won't honour gift cards or laybys as there in administration.

So they appoint administrators ten days after christmas, imagine all the gift cards that were purchased for christmas presents.

Poor Dick Smith Electronics gone under.I remember the days when I used to get all my ham radio gear from dickys.

Think the Dick Smith Electronics owners are dodgy, they announce they won't honour gift cards or laybys as there in administration.

So they appoint administrators ten days after christmas, imagine all the gift cards that were purchased for christmas presents.

I saw that about the gift cards on the tv and thought that sounded like legalised theft. Your point about gift card sales for Christmas makes it even worse. Although, it was very prominent in the news that DSE were in financial trouble before Christmas. That should have made some people think twice about gift cards from them.

Like to know how to make half a Billion dollars with only $10 million? Read on...

It's important to note that Dick Smith the person hasn't been involved in the business since 1982... turning 10 million into 520 million was the private equity group that bought it from Woolworths.

More than anything it illustrates why it may be unwise to use your name as a business brand that you might later sell...

• Agree 1

It's important to note that Dick Smith the person hasn't been involved in the business since 1982... turning 10 million into 520 million was the private equity group that bought it from Woolworths.More than anything it illustrates why it may be unwise to use your name as a business brand that you might later sell...

Dicky gets a small fortune in royaltys for using his name remember.

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs
I saw that about the gift cards on the tv and thought that sounded like legalised theft. Your point about gift card sales for Christmas makes it even worse. Although, it was very prominent in the news that DSE were in financial trouble before Christmas. That should have made some people think twice about gift cards from them.

A gift card, is just another name for an unsecured creditor.........As an unsecured creditor you have the same clearly defined and legislated rights as every other unsecured creditor ..... to your cents in the dollar....eventually....maybe......

Gift cards are by any measure a very poor thing to turn real $ into........ I mean if I wrote an Ad that said "Are you tired of having $ that you can spend anywhere you want when ever you want? If so then buy our gift card which gives you exactly no benefits, is not in any way transferable and ties you into buying stuff only from us, for just as long as we in our sole determination deem to accept the gift card as a form of valid payment....." so DSE gift card is now as useful as Ansett Frequent Flyer points......

Andy

Dick Smith in trading halt today ... the start of the end

Come F_T get your facts correct.. Electrical goods is only using Dick's name. Dick Smith food is still hitting runs.

Regards

KP.

Dicky gets a small fortune in royaltys for using his name remember.

Is that true? It seems remarkable that someone would buy a company without the unrestricted right to use the company name.

Maybe it is true, but I would like to see a reference to support it.

• Agree 1

" so DSE gift card is now as useful as Ansett Frequent Flyer points......Andy

Slightly off topic but Singapore airlines allowed me to use my Ansett points after Ansett collapsed, so good on them for that..... 2001 I think........may have already had the flights booked at the time of collapse......not sure.