RPL

rhtrudder

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of misinformation here....

Personally i am waiting for imminent RAAus CTA announcments which will presumably make it far cheaper and easier to fly into CTA with Raa rather then get a RPL

When converting from RAA to RPL

Apply for ARN

apply for RPL

to go into CTA you need to do

conversion to rpl which includes a checkflight ina GA aircraft with a GA examiner and likely conversion to that aircraft

2 hours basic ifr training in a ga aircraft

An english level 4 or 6 test with a qualified examiner

A levlel one or two medical with a dame

ctA and ctr endorsement with a GA instructor

Thats the absolute minimum, no matter what anyone says..believe me, i have spent hours on the phone with CASA, hours in a GA flyng school and have about 20 emails from CASA and RAA confiriming this...

At first it seems like a simple task... But it is a very wxpensive and convoluted process.

• Agree 1

If you have a valid RAA certificate and a current RPL with CTA endorsement, you can fly an RAAus 24 reg aircraft into CTA (CAO 95.55 para 7.3.d) provided the altimeter and transponder have been checked within limits in the past 12 months as per the RAAus Tech Manual. Don't quite understand the question about a 100 hr service. Any aircraft must always have a current annual or 100 hr service.

Current annual OR 100 hour service. CASA registered aircraft in the private category don't require 100 hourly inspections.

A medical will cost about $275 minimum

ga conversion will cost at least $1500

The english test is about $100-$200

cTA and CTr is about $500

basic IFr is approx $500 - $700

Plus cost of RPL and ARN

You may be able to get this cheaper or dearer depending on profficwncy and location.

I got a one off exemption to fly into a class D airport without a transponder......

Now that we are all looking at the same section of the document, I suggest you read it again to check the transponder requirements for Class D.

Thanks djpacro. I had to fly through class C to get to the class D airport, hence the exemption. Looking back at the question I was replying to at post #18 it read

" i do have transponda fitted and checked but from what i understand you do not need a transponda only a radio... for ctr.."

I took that to be a question about controlled airspace in general. Looking back earlier in his post I can see he was initially talking about YPJT and probably only meant class D. My mistake if that's what he meant. I'm always happy to be corrected but it always helps to point out why someone is wrong rather than just to say your wrong.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Since we are always talking about the RPL, there is a good article by Dr Tony Van Der Spek on Page 12 October -November edition of AOPA. He is an Aviation Medical Examiner. and talks of some of the important issues. Nev

Personally i am waiting for imminent RAAus CTA announcments which will presumably make it far cheaper and easier to fly into CTA with Raa rather then get a RPL

Dr

You may be very old by the time this happens and more so now that the RPL is available from RPC (even if it is with a bit of messing around) once you have the RPL you can then fly your RAA registered aircraft in CTA (with the appropriate medical) providing it meets the requirements.

Aldo

• Like 1

Lots of misleading ill-informed information being posted here.

To answer the question about flying suitable RAA aircraft in "controlled airspace" you need to first establish the type of airspace. Class D, does not require a transponder, Class C does.

A pilot operating the aircraft will be required a valid RPC (RAAus issued certificate) this allows them to pilot the RAAus rego aircraft and a minimum of a valid CASA issued RPL (valid includes a medical - minimum RAMPC and flight review) with appropriate airspace endorsements. (ie CTR, class D for class D, CTR class C for class C, CTA to transit Class C).

There is no minimum IF hour requirement for an RPL, unless you want to add a cross country endorsement, you just need to meet the RPL standard.

This can all be done relatively easily and without costing an arm and a leg. I recently guided one of my students through this process and assisted the GA school with their understanding of the requirements.

If a GA school starts talking written exams and multiple hours of IF time to convert your RPC, walk away as they either don't understand the reg's or are trying to con you.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to fill the form to apply for the RPL in, and in the section about the flight hours you have there is a * next to cross country hours which refers to a note that you need cross country hours for the navigation endorsement. But there is also a * on the line below it which is about instrument flying. It seems to suggest you need 2 hours instrument time as well to get the navigation endorsement. Is that right or new?

I'm trying to fill the form to apply for the RPL in, and in the section about the flight hours you have there is a * next to cross country hours which refers to a note that you need cross country hours for the navigation endorsement. But there is also a * on the line below it which is about instrument flying. It seems to suggest you need 2 hours instrument time as well to get the navigation endorsement. Is that right or new?

It is right, and has been a requirement from the start of the RPL.

That's correct, without the Nav endorsement you simply need to be competent in basic IF but you will need 2hours plus competency for the Nav.

What are your plans for the RPL? If it's to allow you to operate an RAAus aircraft from CTR, you don't need the Nav, just CTR which you can do as part of prep for the flight review.

No I'm RAaus Pilot Certificate. So no instrument time. I must have misunderstood the other posts on this where Pilot Certificate holders seem to have got it simply by filling in a form (and a few other forms and medical) and all the endorsements were transferred over. The RPL isn't much good to me if I can't transfer over the nav endorsement.

My end goal is a flying tour overseas (USA and The Bahamas). So I need a PPL. The only reason for the RPL was to have something to bridge the journey from Pilot Certificate. If I could have got an equivalent and then trained to fly a C172 I could get going, but in reality I need to do all the other PPL hours anyway so it might not be worth the effort. The only real advantage seems to be I skip one exam.

No I'm RAaus Pilot Certificate. So no instrument time. I must have misunderstood the other posts on this where Pilot Certificate holders seem to have got it simply by filling in a form (and a few other forms and medical) and all the endorsements were transferred over. The RPL isn't much good to me if I can't transfer over the nav endorsement.

Subject to a few items (security check, photo and medical - which you'll need for your PPL) you can send away a form and have an RPL turn up in the mail. You must then satisfactorily complete flight training to become competent in the GA type you choose to fly and complete a flight review.

There's no reason why you can't do a bit of local flying while you gain the required IF time to have the Nav endorsement transferred. This will let you fly and spread the cost out over a few months.