Possible Plane Accident - Sale

A PILOT, believed to be aged in his 70s, has walked away uninjured after his light plane crashed on the tarmac at West Sale Airport shortly before 12.30pm on Tuesday.

The male pilot was reportedly flying from Coldstream when he attempted to land at West Sale, but his landing gear failed to lower and he crashed onto the tarmac.

Police, SES, ambulance and CFA were called to the scene.

The plane was towed away.

The crash will be investigated.

http://www.gippslandtimes.com.au/story/3701954/pilot-walks-away-from-west-sale-crash/?cs=1450

So landing gear failed, crashed on the tarmac and then it was towed away 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

• Caution 1

A PILOT, believed to be aged in his 70s, has walked away uninjured after his light plane crashed on the tarmac at West Sale Airport shortly before 12.30pm on Tuesday.The male pilot was reportedly flying from Coldstream when he attempted to land at West Sale, but his landing gear failed to lower and he crashed onto the tarmac.

Police, SES, ambulance and CFA were called to the scene.

The plane was towed away.

The crash will be investigated.

http://www.gippslandtimes.com.au/story/3701954/pilot-walks-away-from-west-sale-crash/?cs=1450

So landing gear failed, crashed on the tarmac and then it was towed away 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Yeah, doncha just Lurve "Mediaspeak". . . . . . I wonder if they really mean "The reason for the inoperative undercariage actuation will be investigated" ? ? ? ? Jeeze, I HOPE so ! before he flies it again anyhow. . .

We KNOW that, when a pilot walks away from such an incident, what ( approximately) happens when the gear doesn't dangle properly. . . not much need to "investigate" how the dented / scratched underside / bent prop actually occurred really . . . .is there ? . . .Tarmac surfaces tend to do that to fast moving softer materials. . . .

Phil.

Gear doesn't extend if the gear lever doesn't move. There is always an alternate method of gear extension built into the design. Nev

Yes Nev,. . there is ( was ? ) an autodrop mechanism in the Piper PA28R200 Arrow 3 I used to use a lot,. . .if you dropped the MP below 18 inches, inadvertantly or otherwise. . . it would drop the gear automatically, unless you pulled the red plunger between the seats earlier,. . . to disable the function. It wasn't really a problem, . . .I had it happen on a couple of occasions in moderate turb whilst on approach, but that was easily sorted by cycling the control lever down, and then back up to retract,. . . and pulling the red knob, until you were establised downwind, and wanted the gear down. . . . .all part of the interesting world of aviationing eh ?

I regularly used a battered C-210 from Berwick ( Vic ) VH IWK ( It Will Kill ) in case any old Caseyfieldites are reading this forum . . . . several of the hirers reported problems with the U/C on that machine, and yet I never had one. . . nice old bird to fly, and totally reliable (for me anyhow ) Maybe it's because of the Buddhist Monk I paid,. . who blessed it before flight and me kissing it's spinner after a successful return to base; I dunno. . . .( I keep up the kissing bit to this very day,. . .but only after the prop has stopped. . . ) Can't find any Buddhist Monks around where I fly nowadays. . . .

Phil. ( with apologies to Mel Gibson )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes a silly idea that could kill you. Most gear up landings are expensive but not fatal. I don't subscribe to the adage "There are only those who have landed gear up and those who are going to". If you are methodical, the gear will be down before the horn warns you it isn't. Well, there is a pre landing check to start with. Nev

• Agree 1

Operated a Lance (forget the model, the "T" tail one) and it had a flashing Amber light indicating the override had been selected. Everyone operated in the override position.

Annoying until some enterprising pilot placed a band-aid over the light. Made it tolerable, especially in low vis & night ops.

And I know that to get a retract certified it has to have an alternate system AND it has to have positive indication systems for locking etc ... but none of that applies to recreational home built RAAus registered designs ...

we are free to design, build and use non-fail safe system eg R912 carbs than fail to throttle closed which is arguable less safe than failing to full open, and non-redundant systems ... how many elevator cables do you have in each direction?, do you need a secondary gear lowering system?, do you need a visual undercart position system (locked up/down/unlocked/in-transit)?

Nope, none are required under CAO95.55, 95.32 or 95.10 under which you can design and build whatever you like. Love the simplicity of the FlyLight DragonFly retracts ... rubber bands and string ;-)

You could get RSI winding the crank to manually lower the Dunlops on a Bonanza.

I never tried it, but the aforementioned C-210 had an extending lever to pump the gear down handraulically. . . . Old Dave Squirrell ( RIP - Old Friend ) said that it needed around 105 pumps of the lever to lock down. . . RSI indeed !

..... we are free to design, build and use non-fail safe system eg R912 carbs than fail to throttle closed which is arguable less safe than failing to full open, .......

Not meaning to be disagreeable Kasper, but my 912ULS has a 'fail to WOT' system, not to closed throttle. So if the primary throttle cable breaks (or disconnects for whatever reason) then both carbys go to full throttle. Or if either of the secondary throttle cables disconnects after the splitter, then the carby on that side goes to full throttle. On mine that's how the carby spring-return system was set up from the factory, and is the reason that many of the 912 powered planes I've flown have a tendency for the throttle to creep open while taxiing, due to the return springs being at 'full stretch' when the throttle is at idle, or at a low power setting.

Is that something that only the newer R912s have, or has the system been reversed on your trike, perhaps?