Super Cell Hits The Oaks

This afternoons storms struck The Oaks Airfield hard. In parts of the airfield it's 100% destruction of buildings and aircraft.

Many are upturned on the strip, as are the remainders of the buildings.

At this stage I will hold back on the photos as a number of owners are yet to be informed.

Fortunately, mine came through unscathed.

• Informative 4

What is not clear from the article is if the aircraft were inside or outside and if outside how they were tied down. The article says "The storm hit the area the hardest just after 5pm, which lifted concrete blocks weighing more than 100 kilograms from the ground." I hope that these wernt the tie downs for the aircraft or that the news got it wrong(likely). 100kg is not a lot of weight, FAA AC 20-35C suggests 3000 lbs as the capacity of a fixed tie down at an airport which is about 1400kg.

• Helpful 1

I've just returned from The Oaks , and can confirm 5 damaged aircraft , these are 1 Bob Cat , 1 Sonerrai 2LT , 1 Searay and 2 Jabs. The Sonerrai and Searay appear to be write offs with the Jabs and Bobcat being damaged but repairable . As far as tie downs etc. I can't comment , however , I do know that the Sonnerai was hangared and that the hangar was completely destroyed and some of its structure has been located about 500M distant . The Bobcat and Jabirus were damaged by flying debris and their tie downs were not compromised .

David

Oh, crap for all concerned. We had a similar one about three weeks ago here near Mittagong, limbs torn from healthy trees all around the farm, one prime condition Grey Box simply snapped in half about 10 metres above the ground, where the trunk was at least 250 mm diameter. I was watching stringy-barks that are maybe 25 metres plus in height being whipped for something like 15 metres either side of their normal position as if they were wheat stalks.

Incredibly bad luck for to thing to hit aircraft; the intense pressures seem to be a bit like buckshot lumps within the general 'blast' area - it looked all around here as if specific trees had been 'targeted' to be stomped while others quite nearby were undamaged. But all that pressure coming down has to go somewhere and stuff gets swept away as if it's been hit with the world's biggest leaf-blower.

Commiserations to all who have damaged aircraft / facilities.

• Informative 1

The searay was torn off it's tie downs after being hit by the flying hanger containing the Sonerrai, Yes the Sonarrai was still inside the hanger when it the searay, then the hanger hit the ground and spat out the Sonarrai before destroying itself in a 500m trail of debris.

PICT2042.JPG.b2c24306ddc165a01a9bea26d9b4bf70.JPG

Horrible. We were at the Sun N Fun disaster in 2011 watching planes get hurled across the field like they were cardboard cutouts while others were untouched. You thank your lucky stars it wasn't yours, then feel awful for those who've seen so much money, time and effort get destroyed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Pretty depressing footage looking at all the damage. There must be a lot of broken hearts today.

It would be good to hear from anyone who has been out there if any of the aircraft tied down outside survived. How were they tied down and what lead to their survival? Also did any of the buildings survive and how were they constructed. This might be useful for others in the future.

It's just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The previous pic. in post #11 is looking N/E and from just about the same spot this one is looking S/W from where the wind was coming from.

There is a total of 5 Jabs (230 out of shot to the left) and none of those got any damage, even though there are a lot of those trees with large branches snapped off behind them.

The luckiest jab is the one on the far left. It was tied down facing that trailer, but 2 of his tie down ropes snapped and it spun around into the position it is in now but didn't flip.

Pretty much the same story up the Northern end as well, it was just the center section copped it, but then again the timber thrown together

"Shanti Hanger" right next door to where everything was blown to the s+house and it not only survived but it protected the 160 that was under it. (except for a bent pitot tube)

PICT2040.JPG.c900934533ab67e96a7d07ecc0cb7222.JPG

• Like 1

Depending on what damage there is to the 55-reg Jab., I may have some bits that might help, including a 'second-series' starboard wing (high, 1/4 mount wing attachment bolts, the longer aileron/shorter flap iteration), and what I think is an SK/SP port wing (lower, 5/16 wing attachment bolts.) Both in serviceable nick, I think (minor cosmetics needed..) Also some other bits and pieces, mainly 'glass work. Would need careful measurement to see if any of my stuff is useful: Jabiru can no longer supply the first pattern LSA55 wings, they don't have the mould anymore!

Not useful if they have full insurance but if it's a case of getting it back in the air at low cost, could be a help: someone PM me if they have queries.

• Like 1