Has anyone built one of these yet {lol}

Hi guys

I was surfing the net for kit planes as a lot of us do and found this little gem I LOVE IT !

The name of the kit is" SF-1 Archon Aerosports gr"

I think I have attached a pic and he is a cockpit vid'

Please someone build one and let me know what it's like :}

here are the specs'

Wing Span : 7.25 m

Length : 8.00 m

Height : 2.20 m

Net Weight : 205 kg

Gross Weight : 300 kg

Fuel Tank Capacity : 45 lt

Engine Type* : 40-130 hp

Propeller Diameter : max. 1,60 m

Stall Speed : 65 km/h

VNE : 210 km/h

VNO : 180 km/h

VA : 155 km/h

VFE : 110 km/h

Load Factor : +4 -2 G

Take-off Distance : 200 m

Wing-detach Time : 30 min.

*The standard engine mount is for the Rotax 503, 532, 582 engines.

Estimated build time for the SF1 Archon kit is about 500 hours

Can't find a price.

Cheers

Rick {sorry still laughing at it, but I want one !!! }

I just notice the engine type that can be fitted 40 to 130hp , big difference between the two?????

the 4ohp must just float you around just above stall speed.

SF-1_Archon_72dpi.jpg.d3cd208949a535f2d9bb473923d6c0eb.jpg

This was posted in May 2015 so a bit out of date but gives you somewhere to start.

SF1 Archon Complete Airframe Kit Special price 14.650 € * The KIT includes all the necessary parts and components to build a complete SF1 Archon airframe. Aluminum alloy construction, strong, light-weight, durable, corrosion resistant, UV protected, light and temperature resembles composites fabrics of. Only basic skills and tools required to assemble-in a small workshop. Pre-assembled spars (also wing spars) are View included. you do not need to a buy anything extra in the build SF1 Archon airframe. Without motor and can ... wear Rotax 503, 532, 582 engines. This means other 2500-3000 grand about € 503 for a used eos 21000 € 582 the new ...

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Love it, was looking for it the other day and couldn't find it again so thanks!

Made in Greece so besides the air tickets, accommodation, meals and purchasing a kit should come to about $147 Australian.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

A 2 seat version would be nice! I wonder how many have be made and how safe it is.

Safe? Have you ever bought bad fruit at the markets from a Greek?

Look how much lift this thing has, just floats along on 40HP ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8C0T1y9_yw

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

Looks like it would handle a water landing OK (if the gear was retractable). Getting in must be a bit of a mission with no visible steps etc especially for old buggers like me. First ever stealth ultralight.

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Seen the vid couple months back and loved it. I bags call sign " Maverick" Lol

We all know Viper was the best pilot! ;)

I just love the irony of how it would be described as compared to how it looks....

LOOKS; Single seat jet fighter in appearance.

DESCRIPTION; Fixed undercarriage, strutted biplane, twin boom pusher!

If you find the right videos, you can see down the intakes and realise the bottom of the fuselage/intake area is actually another wing with a pusher engine driving an normal size propellor that protrudes below the fuse (a little) behind the top and bottom wing trailing edge.

The sides of the 'intake' area become a pair of booms either side of the prop, with the two fins and the tail mounted at the end.

All in all a bit clever to give it the appearance it has.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I can not see what is unregisterable about it from the specs- taken from their site.

Assuming you build to suit our rules etc it should be fine or am I missing something.

Wing Span : 7.25 m

Length : 8.00 m

Height : 2.20 m

Net Weight : 205 kg

Gross Weight : 300 kg

Fuel Tank Capacity : 45 lt

Engine Type* : 40-130 hp

Propeller Diameter : max. 1,60 m

Stall Speed : 65 km/h

VNE : 210 km/h

VNO : 180 km/h

VA : 155 km/h

VFE : 110 km/h

Load Factor : +4 -2 G

Take-off Distance : 200 m

Wing-detach Time : 30 min.

*The standard engine mount is for the Rotax 503, 532, 582 engines.

Except the sound and lack of speed it is cool, and since it is alloy can be polished and painted for great drool appeal.

It appears to have a great view forward and to the sides and down for its type. And looks to have plenty of lift appears stable in the vids.

But more speed, retracts, higher g loads etc would be better.

But that may be possible with a few changes by the designer/builder in greece. It would have been designed for the euro 300kg rules but given it has a hp range up to 130hp stated he may have in mind a faster better suited to our rules version.

I saw something about retracts somewhere?

• Like 1

And:The" wing loading" is ?.

Don't be fooled building a plane that wont be registrable.

spacesailor

I don't understand why your Hummel isn't registerable.....stall speed is quoted as 42MPH (less than 37kt ) and well under 544kg. Wing loading is too high for 95:10, but why not 95:55?

• Like 1

I found this aircraft video a little while ago. If you go through the videos, look at the construction carefully. It's not the best finishes...look at the angles in the inner wings for example.

How would you clean up some of that?

Yeah, I've looked closely, and it's a bit rough, but still not a bad effort for (probably) an amateur.

One assumes the kits have been tidied up a bit?

It does make a good starting point for improvements like a decent bubble canopy and maybe retracts, followed by balancing of the controls (watch the elevator bouncing while taxying), and better flaps, and maybe do away with the struts.

I agree that it could be tidied up considerably with just a bit more attention to detail in the build, and those bits you mention would be lovely, but most of them are unnecessary, just aesthetic improvements for could be an inexpensive 95:10. I guess a lot of the expense could be cut if you blew your own canopy and designed and fabricated retracts, but would just blow the price out if sold as a kit.

I'd like to see their video of the them flying with the 130hp in it. Oh what about 2 of them side by side reenacting a scene from TOPGUN! Oh yeah.

It's handy only having 1 seat seeings "Goose " is dead.

• Haha 1

Hi M6A1,

Part of their criteria is ALL parts of aircraft are to be marked with ID.,

I marked mine with the "Interim registration number" 10-1103, And painted rego no., on wings / fuselage.

I suppose I could hand stamp big X's over every part I've machine stamped.

then what, be told to identify all the bits again,

they never said anything about "wing loads" before building, & there was "Terry Hinze" flying his legally under the 10-xxxx.

so never thought there was any problem with the "HummelBird" design.

16 builders were on my build list in Australia. I don't know any going to 19 or 24 /10- 95/55

And to wait for the builder to finish, and try to get full registration !.

spacesailor

• Informative 1

Care to show me where it says in the ops or tech manual that you are required to do that? (all parts with ID)

The Hummel obviously has a too high a wing loading for 95:10, but I don't see why not 95:55 (19 reg) As a homebuilt there is no other RAA category you could register it. Those already registered have been grandfathered in (to my knowledge), but 95:10 has had wing loading (1okg/square metre) criteria for many years.

• Agree 2