Aircraft down in Far North Qld

Two seater (Type unknown) but powered by a subaru conversion had a forced landing in far north Queensland today.

Very limited details but seems the timing belt broke. Forced landing near Hurricane Station north west of Cairns . Minimal or no injuries.

Must have got out a mayday as the rescue helicopter based in Cairns went out & picked them up. Delivered the two on board back to their home strip south west of Cairns.

Very lucky the clearing didn't have a fence right up the guts of it.

Funny you should say that.

Saw a house and what looked like a strip cut through timber right up to the front of the house from 7000 odd feet up yesterday.

Closer inspection revealed power poles right down the guts of the "strip" ........

Looks like someone did a good job putting it down there. Photo courtesy of rescue 510 Cairns.

[ATTACH=full]42022[/ATTACH]

Yes I am not sure how they did that the plane looks intact and on its wheels in a confined area.

• Agree 1

Surely you could still slip in under the wires and land between the poles though.

Flying up through Queensland there is often a high tension powerline right up the middle of all the suitable clearings in the tiger country. Fact is there is usually quite a wide clearing but the track if there is one, is often in close to the towers. It would still get consideration in a pinch.

• Like 1

If it is a Terrier.. I can confirm it wouldn't be too much concern landing on what I see in the picture

Really? Dead sticked it in to what looks like less than 100 metres over obstacles? Not too much concern? How good would that pilot have to be?

Really? Dead sticked it in to what looks like less than 100 metres over obstacles? Not too much concern? How good would that pilot have to be?

Tech photos are a bit deceiving, I did a rough measurement and I would say that clearing would be closer to 200 metres long than one hundred but having said that I do reckon there would be a fence along there and if it is in any way similar to other fence clearings through scrub that I have seen it would be very doable in an engine out but you need to consider a few things for example a low wing won't handle landing beside a fence real well and also most of these fence clearings are not that well maintained so the ground can be fairly uneven.

Like I say in an engine out they are a lot better option than the trees but still be aware of surprises.

• Agree 1