Forced landing at Lake Eyre.

Just a thought, if I wanted to land on a salt lake just for the fun of it and became bogged, could I still claim damages from my insurance company???Alan.

Thats what I was thinking or busting for a piddle.

Similar problem with self reported mechanical failures

Just a thought, if I wanted to land on a salt lake just for the fun of it and became bogged, could I still claim damages from my insurance company???Alan.

You would probably need to change your story from "wanted to" to "needed to"........

As did the pilot that is the topic of this thread....some might say...

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Ever walked onto Lake Eyre? The first 20m is nice and firm. The next 20m you make progressively deeper footprints. Then your boots get sticky clay on them and any vehicle would get bogged for sure.

I don't know how Donald Campbell made a speed track there, it must have been during a big drought.

It's not just doctors. It's people with money who race out and buy a snazzy new plane and fly it with the bare bones minimum of aviation experience.

Having said that, I know a couple of doctors who are by all accounts very competent and experienced pilots - one on multis and one on single engine warbirds.

It's not just doctors. It's people with money who race out and buy a snazzy new plane and fly it with the bare bones minimum of aviation experience.Having said that, I know a couple of doctors who are by all accounts very competent and experienced pilots - one on multis and one on single engine warbirds.

Yes I think the term as used for a long time is not so much about the medical profession , as a generalisation about a "class" , highly educated with resources but not always educated in aviation related matters.

• Agree 1

Ever walked onto Lake Eyre? The first 20m is nice and firm. The next 20m you make progressively deeper footprints. Then your boots get sticky clay on them and any vehicle would get bogged for sure.I don't know how Donald Campbell made a speed track there, it must have been during a big drought.

Yes, I have walked on and driven on in a four wheeled vehicle 40 yrs or so ago but it must have been in drought conditions'

I was driven by an experienced local not long after coming to Australia, also flown over the lake when in flood without floats or a life jacket. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif.

Alan.

Yes I think the term as used for a long time is not so much about the medical profession , as a generalisation about a "class" , highly educated with resources but not always educated in aviation related matters.

A family member and ex-CAR-35 engineer, had more problems with getting his professional fees paid by Doctors than any other group for their maintenance issues. Yet I know a seriously good Orthodontist who has built his own GA-exp aircraft, and is a damn good pilot. Can't put people rigidly into boxes, though some tend to gravitate towards a recognisable norm...

• Agree 1

I was driven by an experienced local not long after coming to Australia, also flown over the lake when in flood without floats or a life jacket. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif.Alan.

How deep does it get?

Not very deep in water but due to very flat profile can be 50mm water and 1m meter deep soft mud. Issue becomes the many kilometers you have to go to reach dry ground.

Middle of other similar lakes in NSW gets to 1-2m water when full

A family member and ex-CAR-35 engineer, had more problems with getting his professional fees paid by Doctors than any other group for their maintenance issues. Yet I know a seriously good Orthodontist who has built his own GA-exp aircraft, and is a damn good pilot. Can't put people rigidly into boxes, though some tend to gravitate towards a recognisable norm...

Trouble you have as a doctor is tradies, LAMEs etc inflate their fees hugely. We docs as a group get shafted quite a lot so I can understand why some might be a bit problematic about paying their bills.

I have had my share of "double the bill" when I had a Robbie. Double the cost per hour and doubled the hours I actually had the aircraft in his hangar.

Had more than one tradie come to give a quote on house renos etc. They always ask what you do for a living, I tried to avoid telling cos when you do tell them in a subdued voice etc you always see their eyes light up. Then the quote would come in at way over what I knew it should cost. I have a friendly builder who tells me what it should cost and there is always a huge variation when the tradie doesn't know you are a doctor.

• Caution 1

I landed in a robbie beside the lake in about 2001 and we walked out onto the lake. It had been fairly dry up till then and we walked out a few hundred metres and it was pretty solid. Couldn't break through it by jumping up and down. But then my mate who "wrote on it in motorbike" said where he was it broke through fairly easily. Guess it varies around the lake and with seasons.

• Agree 1

Trouble you have as a doctor is tradies, LAMEs etc inflate their fees hugely. We docs as a group get shafted quite a lot so I can understand why some might be a bit problematic about paying their bills.I have had my share of "double the bill" when I had a Robbie. Double the cost per hour and doubled the hours I actually had the aircraft in his hangar.

Had more than one tradie come to give a quote on house renos etc. They always ask what you do for a living, I tried to avoid telling cos when you do tell them in a subdued voice etc you always see their eyes light up. Then the quote would come in at way over what I knew it should cost. I have a friendly builder who tells me what it should cost and there is always a huge variation when the tradie doesn't know you are a doctor.

when someone asks you what you do, you adopt a hand-dog, humble expression (as befits someone who once had dreams but now knows their life is a failure) and you say "I work in the health system, I'm just a pen pusher".

Mind you it depends on your circumstances. A surgeon I work with has his wife deal with the tradies, so he gets the double whammy: they see the $4m house and they're dealing with the missus. I think he just adds the cost onto each procedure.

A v smart bloke I know who has through hard work ethically built a fortune of >$50m, modest house, drives a Camry, when asked what he does adopts a grim expression and says "just the day to day struggle of trying to keep my business afloat". The tradies nod in sympathy and give him cash discount.

My wife is a pathologist and makes reasonable money; interestingly no-one ever asks what your wife does.

• Caution 1