Active Noise Reduction Headset - plane feels different

Hi all,

just a short one to share this interesting story of flying an aircraft with an ANR headset for the first time.

I bought a Lightspeed Zulu PFX headset the other day and today it was time to try it for the first time.

Called me mate pilot Iain to go for an afternoon flight and here we are in the little Savannah to do some circuits.

The ANR is very impressive and make everything very comfortable but the feeling was weird, the sound of the engine (if any) was so different and made the experience unique.

Doing circuits, I felt I was in a different plane, I thought it was floating a bit more, I noticed things that I didn't noticed before and other things were missing.

It took me 3-4 circuits to be back on track and comfortable again.

After 30 minutes, Iain was PIC with the new headset and he felt the same.

The noise reduction has a big impact on how we feel the plane.

After thinking about it it makes sense, each phase of the circuit is linked to a specific noise of the engine and a specific noise of the wind, and I believe our brain uses it as input/parameters. But once this noise is gone we are a bit lost for a while.

Anyway, I am sure I am not the first one who experience this but it might surprise you.

By the way, the ANR Zulu PFX is great.

Xavier.

• Like 3

I have used the Lightspeed Zulu headsets for a few years now. In a noisy aircraft, they are excellent, especially on a long trip.

The service is excellent. They replaced the cables on my 4 year old units under warranty.

I could not go back to the old style headsets.

I have used the Lightspeed Zulu headsets for a few years now. In a noisy aircraft, they are excellent, especially on a long trip.The service is excellent. They replaced the cables on my 4 year old units under warranty.

I could not go back to the old style headsets.

They rebuilt a crash damaged set under warranty for a user on here too, that was a big factor in my decision to buy two sets. Too many companies don't think about that anymore.

They rebuilt a crash damaged set under warranty for a user on here too, that was a big factor in my decision to buy two sets. Too many companies don't think about that anymore.

Great product and service.

Two sets for five/six years now.

Spare batteries nearby is a must as SDQI says " Feels like your throat is cut" when they go flat.

They give a beep every few seconds before they die.

PHIL.

• Agree 1

I was the same when I bought my PFX. I was using telex ANR which were also very good, but PFX was better fit and I thought the ANR was better (Telex has better passive noise reduction). At first I was not real impressed, mine have been unreliable as well. But now I have grown to really like them, and I must admit the after sales service is good.

Interesting point about noise that I discovered on the motorcycle, if I dont have earplugs in at highway speeds the noise is actually a distraction and affects my riding. I cant say I have noticed that in the air, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some marginal effect. Perhaps I have not noticed yet because I am still a relatively fresh pilot (just over 200 hours).

You are deprived of some of the noises that might warn you of something going wrong but you can't win them all. Looking after your hearing as long as possible is worthwhile so don't go to a Rock festival without your ANR head phones. Nev

You are deprived of some of the noises that might warn you of something going wrong but you can't win them all. Looking after your hearing as long as possible is worthwhile so don't go to a Rock festival without your ANR head phones. Nev

When I broke my through bolt I distinctly heard it whereas my pilot pax didn't hear a thing (no he isn't deaf!), i was using Zulus and he was using a David Clark passive set. IMO I hear my engine a lot better with anr than without it. You can still pick the subtle engine note changes and can also pick up other little noises that are missed with a passive set.

• Agree 1

I haven't used them as I was advised what I said in my post. I have no personal experience but would have thought if it blocks out "outside" noises some of them might be ones that can aid you doing something. The exhaust note would have to one such indication? Anyhow protecting your ears is worthwhile. Nev

• Helpful 1

when I went over to a Sennheiser ANR, at first the plane sounded completely different. Now I'm sure I can hear the engine better and I wouldn't be without it. And it's a lot quieter. And I can hear stuff on the radio better. Protecting your hearing is important.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Here's a good one, I now use my ANR headphones when mowing the lawn, just plug in a radio and away we go.spacesailor

I have bose QC35 for work travel, I often put them on and turn on the noise cancelling with nothing connected at all!

Hi Pearo,Are they the latest edition of the qc25? And how much did you get them for?

Not sure, possible they are qc25. I bought them in the states a few years back.

For those that have access to a Costco store, they were selling them last time I went there.

I was the same when I bought my PFX. I was using telex ANR which were also very good, but PFX was better fit and I thought the ANR was better (Telex has better passive noise reduction). At first I was not real impressed, mine have been unreliable as well. But now I have grown to really like them, and I must admit the after sales service is good.Interesting point about noise that I discovered on the motorcycle, if I dont have earplugs in at highway speeds the noise is actually a distraction and affects my riding. I cant say I have noticed that in the air, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some marginal effect. Perhaps I have not noticed yet because I am still a relatively fresh pilot (just over 200 hours).

The fact that high noise levels cause fatigue is also enough of a reason by itself. Don't worry about engine noise, ANR can lock onto the phase of low frequency noise, but the clicks and clanks can't be acquired fast enough to be cancelled

• Agree 1