Accident 2016/09/05 Mt Barker WA. reported on 7's 4pm news.

Mate of mine at work was wondering today how to convince his wife that he be allowed to buy a new kayak.

I told him he needed to ask her if he was allowed to buy a 70 ft yacht and get a 20 yo girlfriend - after that, she'd have no problem with the kayak...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

I'm not sure how they managed to free themselves from that bubble canopy? At least this prang shows that inversion with a bubble canopy is survivable with only minor injuries.

Did you not watch the video?

Young strong Farmer pulled them out and states; "It was pretty hard to get them out" - and fuel was pouring everywhere.

On their side, the RV9 has a more substantial roll bar than most, still not good enough though and won't pass the "broomstick test" - a line from top of rear roll bar to front roll bar should pass over drivers head with 50mm clearance, a "broomstick handle" wooden rod is often physically used on race cars to test this.

I remember a crash in the U.S. where they found the couple naked in the wreckage - and the investigators concluded, that a bit of nookie probably took the drivers attention off the job, resulting in the crash!

They couldn't find anything wrong with the aircrafts controls, or control surfaces, or fuel supply, and the engine was still producing power when it spiralled in. 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Wasn't in NZ by any chance was is?

I remember reading a report of similar about a lady pilot who was presumed to have been entertaining her partner in the right hand seat and had knocked off (no pun intended) the auto pilot and ended up being CFIT.

I'm not sure how they managed to free themselves from that bubble canopy? At least this prang shows that inversion with a bubble canopy is survivable with only minor injuries.

I carry an escape hammer in my RV-9A for exactly this reason. You can't always rely on a friendly cow cocky passing by to get you out of the wreckage of your pride and joy. The loss of 1lb payload, I can bear!

I carry an escape hammer in my RV-9A for exactly this reason. You can't always rely on a friendly cow cocky passing by to get you out of the wreckage of your pride and joy. The loss of 1lb payload, I can bear!

That hammer may prove a deadly thing in a cockpit and only good for the canopy.

The proper thing is called a "Life Hammer" and can also cut the safety harness/belt as well. Comes with a mount and glows in the dark. Very cheap insurance. You see all new buses have them and I always have one in a car.

LIFEHAMMER - SAFETY HAMMER CLASSIC GLOW-Y Fire and Rescue

loss of oil pressure at 2500', during approach into selected paddock engine stopped, plane unable to make clearing and landed in a tree, ruptured both fuel tanks.

lots of very small paddocks & big trees in that area. unlucky engine stopped when it did, very lucky there was no fire.

• Informative 1

Someone said the pilot was 67.Now before you all jump on me for being ageist, I'm not saying he's not capable of joining the mile high club (although I'm not sure how the logistics work in an RV9), just that he's old enough to know better...

I'm 72 and I wish....sigh

Kaz

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Agreed lovetofly

Heard yesterday there was confirmed loss of oil pressure followed by forced landing as previously stated, confirmed by relative of pilot.

Engine was running and producing low power when he shut down hoping to make the paddock

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed lovetoflyHeard yesterday there was confirmed loss of oil pressure followed by forced landing as previously stated, confirmed by relative of pilot.

Engine was running and producing low power when he shut down hoping to make the paddock

A follow-up on this accident:

I have since helped the pilot back 'onto-the-horse' (so to speak) by flying some dual with him in the Albany Aero Clubs RV9A. He was a little shakey the 1st session, but has settled, and I'll get him off solo the next decent weather day.

And yes, he is going to purchase another aircraft when everything is settled and he can think clearly.

The aircraft is a total write off. What's worse: some low life stole the headsets and other items from the cockpit of the wreckage on the 1st night after. So WA pilots - if you are offered, or hear of, anything aviation cheap for cash - please question the source.

As to the cause of the accident - well, as usual, it appears to have been multi-factored. Engine overheating, faltering, drop in power and all happening at 2500amsl. Land is around 600-700ft here - so not a lot of time to get lined up on anything sizeable. Due our ongoing winter rains, many paddocks are veritable lakes and so the choices were further limited. In the end, the aircraft clipped trees on approach to a cutoff section of sealed highway. It landed inverted on the engine and roll bar. It was just fortunate that it was slightly nose down or the impact would have been on the occupants. Lucky, lucky people.

Could it have been done better? Of course - like all matters aviation, there are usually things that you learn about emergency responses. With some 16 VANS RV's resident is our immediate area, we are all looking to learn from this accident and it will sharpen up our procedures no end.

Alls well that ends well. Happy Days,

• Like 5