Plane crash at Yarram Victoria

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pitch change with power change is not constant across all planes. It varies a lot. but normally a speed increase will make the nose rise and the converse is also true in "normal" pitch stable designs. The most significant effects are with underslung jet engines where there is a large change, due to low thrust line. In reference to the situation where the control is "jammed" in a U/L, a single trim tab wouldn't have much effect, because of it's size. There is also the risk with the jammed control that it may "unjam" due to tab loads. Moving your body (or another weight) may have a similar effect where it is possible but won't be dramatic unless the distance is significant.. Nev

Let's be clear here, we're not talking about gliders or minor power changes; we're talking about a full power application with full flap (we don't know what degree of power was applied in the Yarram crash, although when a Jab gets too low you're not going to fix the situation by kissing it).

• Caution 1

I have flown to Yarram many times, a few things I have observed.

Front of aircraft was destroyed, you can almost put this down to the rescue crews cutting it up.

Next, the aircraft was well away from the runway and near the hangars.

One wing was ripped off.

So from this it seems there may have been a sudden wind draft under one wing that has forced the aircraft to roll and the pilot has failed to gain control.

The aircraft has then cart wheeled and tore one wing off and maybe balloed before plunging.

But these are just my observations.

• 10 months later...