Hospital ward decoration

old man emu

My dear wife, Old Ma Emu, underwent some radical surgery this week. It went well, but the healing period for the wound will be long. At the moment she has to remain flat on her back, and even as she heals she won't be able to sit on her backside.

At this time of year, occupying a hospital bed, and looking at the possibility of being there over Christmas is not a pleasant situation to be in. So I thought I would make a little decoration to stick up over her bed.

1350531893_IllbehomeforChristmas-page-001.jpg.5608e0a47524edd112accfd370d7ee6a.jpg

OME

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 2

Maybe it'll be the first Christmas she hasn't had make to dinner for a ever growing crowd of people. She might get to actually enjoy her first Christmas in several decades. Test will be if she wants to spend next Christmas in hospital, healthy or not.

All the best to Old Ma Emu,

Regards, PA

• Like 1

Thanks for your good wishes.

Unfortunately, we don't have an ever growing crowd. This year it's Ma and I, our son and our grandson. And we only have the grandson for half of Christmas Day and until late Boxing Day afternoon.

On a brighter side, she was much better today when I visited. All the drain tubes have been removed and she can get out of bed for short walks. She looks healthier in skin colour, and her sense of humour has returned, although she did get a bit teary when I gave her the decoration.

OME

• Like 2

Hey OME,

Really sorry to hear all is not well with Ma Emu. Do hope she's up and running again very soon. I'm sure she'd have loved the poster, very caring of you to put that together.

I'm sure that lots of Recflying forumites share in sending best wishes and thoughts for you at this time - do pass them on to Ma, hoping it gives her a little festive season cheer up :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks HITC.

She's getting better every day. It looks like the wound is healing quickly, despite her having Type II diabetes. It is going to take about 3 months for the area to be repaired back to its former strength - bit like a broken arm healing. But at least she'll be at home for Christmas, not too mobile, but in a position to give me orders as usual. I wouldn't say we were Love Birds, but I'm missing her presence. The best thing for me is that she's not in chronic pain anymore. Nothing worse than seeing your loved one crying in pain every time they move.

She appreciates everyone's kind wishes. I told her that there are benefits being logged in here, and not just the hours spent talking crap around the world.

OME

• Like 2

Best wishes to you and especially to Ma Emu. I think people heal more quickly at home than in hospitals. All the best for speedy recovery.

• Like 1

I missed this one.

All the best 'Ol Ma Emu, hope you feel well over the Xmas break despite the less than favorable location, and all's good for a speedy recovery to get back into the "Director's" chair at home to take up your rightful role.

Bex ;-)

Old Ma Emu told me to pass on her appreciation for everyone's kind thoughts and comments.

However, she didn't realise that the news of her hospitalisation would be known from Cannock to Cessnock.

Great news!!!!! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

The surgeon initially told Old Ma Emu that he was sure that he had identified and removed all the cancerous material, but was awaiting the pathology results to give a more certain report. The pathology results show that the cancer was localised and had not escaped from the site. As with all types of cancer, regular check-ups are required to ensure that there is not another site developing, but the likelihood is minimal. So I'm off to the hospital to bring her home where she can resume her regal duty, ruling the roost.

Thanks to you all for your kind thoughts and well wishes. Old Ma Emu doesn't read what is posted on this site, so she doesn't know any of you, but when I told her what you have said, she bucked up a bit. It has been a trying time for me as any of you would know how painful it is if you see your Beloved in pain. The pain of the cancer is gone; the discomfort of healing can be borne, and our family will celebrate the Solstice* with great joy.

OME

* Please insert the name of your Spiritual celebration.

• Like 5
  • Winner 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be a good while before Old Ma Emu will be back to running the pants off kangaroos, but at least she only has to worry about getting the incisions healed. She was quite terrified that she might become the victim of the Bengal Lancer.

OME

• Like 2

Old Ma Emu told me to pass on her appreciation for everyone's kind thoughts and comments.However, she didn't realise that the news of her hospitalisation would be known from Cannock to Cessnock.

Whilst you are mentioning Cannock. . . .Please pass on A ( Gentle ) Cuddle and best wishes to Ma from Uncle Phil will ya mate ?. . . . TA.

Whilst you are mentioning Cannock. . . .Please pass on A ( Gentle ) Cuddle and best wishes to Ma from Uncle Phil will ya mate ?. . . . TA.

Phil, I'll certainly pass on your good wishes, but she's not getting a cuddle from you unless you've left a quid on the fridge for me.

• Like 1