Encroaching Suburbia on Airfields

Cosmick

Not only the size of the warehouses but you then have potential for large numbers of public to be inside too

Despite very few aircraft accidents, somehow the prospect of an aircraft coming from above seems more dangerous than other forms of accident from cars or trucks

• Like 1

Its very important that the momentum goes in the correct direction, and the corrupt people building and conducting non aviation businesses on Commonwealth Government land are botted off and the airports cleaned up.

• Like 1

the corrupt people building and conducting non aviation businesses on Commonwealth Government land

From a societal point of view you're probably right, but they might be the only people keeping the airport open? If they take their money away, all of a sudden it looks easier to the Commonwealth Govt to close the whole airport and sell off the land.

Currently you have people with money and lobbying power who want to keep it as an airport - because they are making money from the DFO etc.

• Like 1

How about,

Encroaching airfield over suburbia!,

At the present I live a fairly long way from an airfield, BUT in the very near future, I'll live under the new flight-path of Badgeries creek airport, & I can't do anything about it.

24 hour takeoff with 75db noise daily, on their map.

How about ,those affected given a "get out of STAMP-DUTY" if they move out.

spacesailor

• Like 1

I can't see Badgery's Creek making SW Sydney a better "quality of life" place. If you have curfews the place doesn't work. International flying is a 24 hour thing. Industrial estates around them would be preferred to domiciles. Single engine planes do have no where to go if they lose one in the surrounds of these aerodromes. Flying training shouldn't be done in such places, really. This particular aircraft has 2 of the most reliable (normally) engines that exist so should have been considered safe anywhere. The Partenavia that caused the biggest loss of life, a while back at Essendon was doing assy and after dark (I think) Assymetric training shouldn't be conducted in such places. Simulators have replaced the plane as a place to practice these crew killing sessions. My assy session on a four engine plane included failing BOTH engines on ONE side before you got to 150 feet. How crazy is that? Nev

• Agree 1

This story, by Professor Michael Buxton, in between the video and photos, lays out the history of how DFOs came to be built on CA Zones.

He explains that these developments were not controlled by State Law, and why.

He also points ou how in recent years Airport Master Plans have been required to consider consistency with state land use laws and local planning schemes.

City of Moonee Valley has already raised the issue of non-compliance.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/michael-buxton-we-cant-put-private-profit-before-public-safety/news-story/8c75c8dda5cc863a8b61f1e570ad6d30

This Fairfax story gets into more detail of the Planning issues.

Forget about the headline, Madden probably wasn't Victoria's best planning minister, with some disasters in his time.

It does show how the retail buildings got onto the airfield, and how they have compromised safety.

There is also an allegation this morning that the pilot would have come down on grass, before the building started.

Essendon Airport: shut aviation now, says former planning minister

• 2 weeks later...
Canberra Airport hits out at 'disgraceful', 'grubby' safety claims.The Canberra Times quote not mine.

It is interesting that they've mentioned the Minister, CASA, and Airservices roles in this.

I've especially been waiting for comment on CASA's actions (or inaction) on inappropriate property developments in proximity to many aerodromes.

People getting all uptight about encroaching development at airports here in Australia really need to get out and see more of the world's city and municipal airports!

There are not many places near cities I know of that failure to climb away on one engine is going to allow the plane to be crashed onto a nice grassy field.

Try looking up a few on google earth......

People getting all uptight about encroaching development at airports here in Australia really need to get out and see more of the world's city and municipal airports!......

A valid point Dutch, but why should this wide, empty land compare itself to densely settled countries?

Australia has mobs of space, yet we've packed almost all of our people into an area smaller than Japan. We should be able to leave a zone around airports undeveloped, or build new ones away from cites and link them with High Speed Trains. Even Morocco has them, but its economy is so tiny it doesn't rate a mention on the graph below.

image.jpeg.c905848a61aabf99b69eb11c031d6fc1.jpeg

People getting all uptight about encroaching development at airports here in Australia really need to get out and see more of the world's city and municipal airports!There are not many places near cities I know of that failure to climb away on one engine is going to allow the plane to be crashed onto a nice grassy field.

Try looking up a few on google earth......

Why focus on other peoples' mistakes?

Also, this comparison only applies to Strategic Planning....where we dream that this would be a good place for an Airport.

Once we make that decision, the situation morphs into Strategic Planning, which covers the whole of our Country, and determines what should be there (which can knock out an airport, prison, waste dump), what it should be next to and what should be next to it, and finally the conditions which should be applied to the use to ensure it doesn't affect the amenity of existing uses.

That's quite a formal process, not understood by about 98% of the population.

What we have mostly been talking about is at this tail end, where in most cases people have been breaching planning regulations and getting away with it.