You can now pre-order 'the world's first certified commercial flying car'

SSCBD

• 3 weeks later...

Could you imagine parking this at Bunnings or outside Coles on a Saturday morning and what if someone bangs their door into it would it be down to the LAME for a inspection before you fly it again? Yea right...first you need to win the lotto...

David

It does not look like a model to me- the scale is correct for a actual real size one.

I do not think this is vapour ware in any form- the Germans are a very serious bunch and do not take engineering lightly. They have a long history in performance management of engineers but have softened up since WW2.

I would happily bet a team of Germans with the same budget and tech will make this work when others are still making investor money grabs. The Europeans are the ones to watch for new developments and amazingly the

Chinese as well.

Mind you- the Aeromobil is also European but is way to expensive and impractical, but I guess there are plenty of fools with big deep pockets.

I look on with great interest.

• Agree 1

I believe NASA have been looking at a similar concept to the Lilium. Makes sense really. Give it a few years and something similar will be the replacement for the V-22 Osprey. Personally I'd rather have the safety of multiple electric ducted fans than two bitching big turbines on the wingtips, massive rotors, and a very complicated system of driveshafts to a common gearbox.

• Agree 1

Airbus have also been in on this, they certainly see a future for distributed electric and the potential safety benefits.

Bring on the future before some idiot with a big red button trumps us all to hell.

I'm never a convert. Planes should be designed primarily to fly. Putting a flying machine into a road environment is dumb. Too exposed to wear and damage. Compromise is the problem. Nev

Just by keeping it in the boot it shows that it is not a substitute for a flying car. You still need the car to have a boot to keep it in.

The best approach to a flying car I have seen was a few years ago when someone came up with a car. come powered parachute concept.

The best approach to a flying car I have seen was a few years ago when someone came up with a car. come powered parachute concept.

You can find an hour long documentry on Youtube where they fly it across Africa or somewhere. Forgot the name of it, basically an off road buggy with chute.