Question! – For those who have had a in-flight total engine failure/s

Just seeing how people have coped with a real engine failure in flight. No other reason.

Interested with any - I survived my "first total sudden engine failure" and walked away stories.

Please include - Type of aircraft / engine

1. First how did you initially cope with it. Example was it total shock or initial disbelief with the engine going quiet, for the first say 5 - 10 seconds.

2. What height were you at – did you have a pax onboard

3. How long was your glide time do you think, from failure to the wheels on ground.

4. Did you have to find a paddock or were you over the strip and back to the runway.

5. Did your training provide “sufficient real life experience” on how to deal with it?

6. How was the outcome – e.g. no damage or damage to the aircraft.

7. What would you advise to change in initial training of engine failures (if any).

8. What did YOU stuff up - e.g. wind direction / trouble checks / wrong glide speed / changed paddocks from your initial choice and why?

9. Did you come in to fast (or a bit to height) or did or did you come in to slow to stretch the glide at the last minute.

10. Did you know what stopped the engine initally when it shut down or try to restart?

11. What would you have done differently in hindsight.

12. What did you drink that night! – beer / scotch / wine (and of course how many)

I had the windmill stop in my Mooney. I was getting underneath the northern steps of the Melbourne CTA after an 8 hour flight from Kalgoorlie that involved rain, a reroute and other stresses. I was at 800 feet above ground. First instinct was to use my Aspen to turn the craft into the wind, then I picked a yellow field that is etched in my mind, it was short and I was going to go into the fence. Rather than do preliminary checks I decided to use my height to get a call out before I was too low to communicate. Got the Mayday out then ignored the controller asking all sorts of questions. I had maps all over the instrument panel, trying to keep out of trouble for accidentally entering the outer edges of the CATS without a clearance, had got into trouble before. With the maps gone the left tank low light was staring me in the face. I changed to the right tank and the Engine roared into life. Radio call to CTA then an uneventful flight from there on in. Had to fill in a report for the Mayday call, but I still think I did the right thing at that height. What do others think?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Yes I had two epirbs, one that used the aircrafts GPS to instantly transmit coordinates the other a portable. Despite having two comms I always carried a hand held com. And two portable gps'.never have too much safety.

AVIATE, NAV, COMMUNICATE. Whist you where lucky how it turned out it's critical being at such a low Alt to pick a fav spot to force land first, then scream blue bloody murder!:-) Aviate means trouble shoot where possible, unless an engine had server vibrations or was runnign rough for some unknown reason FUEL usually is the No 1 reason for the fan to stop, as you found out. These days a PLB (EPIRB) should be mandatory so that's a good tool to use for "after the event" In a 2 radio plane such as I assume you might have had I always have 121.5 tuned & monitored, in Vic you will always get someone on that freq once you are safe on the deck.I think after such an event it's a good idea to see what you learned from it, we can all learn!:-)

In nearly 40 yrs flying never had a donk fail, had a few rough running motors & one went quiet cause I fell asleep at the wheel & ran an aux tank dry whilst over Bass Straight, (learned heaps that night !!!!)

Fly as if yr engine is going to fail at any time is what I subscribe to.

I don't disagree, but I have a slightly different take on the priorities. I use AVIATE NAVIGATE COMMUNICATE ADMINISTRATE. Aviate means keep the aircraft in a safe state, ie set best glide and the immediate action drills. Navigate means point the aircraft where you will survive, ie the field. Communicate, let someone know. May not seem too important, but once you have survived the crash you are certainly going to wish you did it while your slowly bleeding to death waiting for someone to notice your ELT or SARTIME expiry. Administrate is all the nice to do checks, like get the engine restarted if time permits, prepare for the forced landing etc. As for communicate, is it really that hard to quickly push a button while your setting best glide or turning for the field and tell someone who will organise a SAR response?

Just seeing how people have coped with a real engine failure in flight. No other reason.

1. First how did you initially cope with it. Example was it total shock or initial disbelief with the engine going quiet, for the first say 5 - 10 seconds.

2. What height were you at – did you have a pax onboard

3. How long was your glide time do you think, from failure to the wheels on ground.

4. Did you have to find a paddock or were you over the strip and back to the runway.

5. Did your training provide “sufficient real life experience” on how to deal with it?

6. How was the outcome – e.g. no damage or damage to the aircraft.

7. What would you advise to change in initial training of engine failures (if any).

8. What did YOU stuff up - e.g. wind direction / trouble checks / wrong glide speed / changed paddocks from your initial choice and why?

9. Did you come in to fast (or a bit to height) or did or did you come in to slow to stretch the glide at the last minute.

10. Did you know what stopped the engine initally when it shut down or try to restart?

11. What would you have done differently in hindsight.

12. What did you drink that night! – beer / scotch / wine (and of course how many)

I was about 3000' AMSL (about 1600 AGL) just below the clouds on my way to Port Augusta in a Jabiru 230D, the engine started running rough so I immediately pulled the carry heat but to no effect, the engine stopped dead. Being already primed for a problem I checked fuel, mags and a restart but when I pushed the starter the prop didn't move at all!

1. As the engine was running rough I was focused on the engine so when it stopped dead the was only a moment hesitation before going through the checks.

2. 3000' AMSL (1600 AGL) no pax.

3. It felt like about a minute but was more like 4 min in real terms.

4. I had been taught to always select a couple of areas just in case, the first, while clear was sloping and I was too high, the second was flat but with a crop of wheat, it was the second one I ended up in.

5. I think so, the main thing going through my mind was "do not stall it in, go through a fence if you have to" when I was lined up in the paddock all I could see was a tree in the way, but I figured better to hit it slowly than stall and hit the ground fast!

6. The mains touched down first but the crop caused a lot of drag which forced the front to dig into the soft soil causing the aircraft to flip. Aircraft was damaged (wing, empanage, fin) and I had a small bruise from the seat belt (which at least gave the two ambulances, three fire trucks and 2 police cars something to do :-)

7. In all the training I did it was always "look for a paddock" but since doing further training in GA I have been taught to also look for roads - long driveways, etc. as landing on a firmer surface if available can prevent a flip.

8. I didn't activate the epirb before landing, I had it ready but things happened a bit fast and I worried about the antenna getting in the way.

9. Came in full flap (electric, so put full flap on then turn off master at about 50') I remember touching down just above the stall what I did not know was just how a crop (probably only a a few weeks from harvest) would grab the wheels and just how disconcerting being upside down can be, it took me probably 10 seconds to realise to push with my legs to be able to unbuckle the seat belt.

10. No idea, I knew it was catastrophic as the starter motor couldn't budge it.

11. There was a nice flat dirt road with no trees not far from where I landed, I wish I had gone for that.

12. Can't remember! I remember asking the channel 7 chopper pilot if he could give me a lift back! I had to wait a couple of hours for my wife to come and pick me up from the local police station, at least she didn't berate me all the way home!

A couple of other memories... apparently they heard my May Day at Parafield FTA but they thought it was just a student giving a dummy call but had accidentally pushed the PTT button as my voice was so calm!!!!

I found it hard to find a phone number to call to say I was on the ground OK, cancel the May Day as the radio was unoperative.

Unfortunately channel 7 chopper also heard the May Day and came to the scene. I didn't want any mis-reporting so refused to comment, I remember the reporter telling me "don't worry, I'll tell you what to say", I was shocked more by that than the crash!

I was speaking to a gentleman who has been flying for over 60 years and he had his first engine failure (in a single engine aircraft) in his Victa only a few months ago, so basically you need to always be ready and practised because you can never know if or when it will happen.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

sscbd the last I gave my opinion I was **** canned on that subject neil

That must've been a bluddy big tin........glad to know you're out now.....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I've had six. First was in a glider when the thermals stopped on the way back to our strip in NZ. At 400' i could see my chosen outlanding paddock had a fence, so then a fallback was a school oval (150m long and over power lines). Greased it in. Second was a head bolt failure in a 1/2vw powered single seater on takeoff at around 100'...landed straight ahead weaving between trees. No real time to do anything but fly the plane. Third and forth in the same plane (broken rocker bolt and the crankshaft) at altitude. Stall speed of that plane was around 20kts, so basically it could be landed on any cleared ground, of say 40m, as long as the approach was clear. If any long grass you had to stall just above the grass, and it would plonk down and not flip (tail dragger of-course). Last two were both prop bolt related in a homebuilt. Had to land in a rape seed paddock after shutting motor off due to vibration. Biggest issue was having to explain numerous times in the pub while we were waiting for a lift home why we had a prop with us. Last one the prop departed just after i joined base after i had pulled the motor to idle due to vibration. I made a bad decision to continue with my planned landing rather than land in a paddock straight ahead with fences, was far too low and was reconciled with having to land in a forested creek about 150m short of the runway. Somehow we got over the creek (due to wind gradient), one wing touched some leaves, i then held off about 10' above 3m high scrub, but stalled onto them a bit short of the strip. The plane came to a sudden stop...Definitely no skidding. Damage was: undercarriage ripped off and a few dings in the engine cowling; a bruise from the seat belt; nightmares for a few months; and $ and time to fix the plane. Main lesson is the benefit of staying current. ...i misjudged a no power circuit because i hadn't been doing a lot of flying, and i think our tendency to do larger circuits as if or aircraft have a l/d of better than 20/1 instead of tight ones you need with an l/d of 11/1.

• More 2

Nope. I still fly homebuilts and don't trust planes that are built by hundreds of cheapest tenderers. Jeez, they are just engine failures that require an outlanding. What's the problem? It would be a while lot different for an aeroplane with say a stall speed over 50kts and a mass greater than a 1000kg (all that kinetic energy to dissipate), or an on board fire, control circuit or structural failure. What's a Lyc and Conty? I havnt seen those. Are they two strokes, or copies of Jabiru or VW conversions?

• Like 2

Yeah they are just like VeeDub engines:-)

Hi Capt Wally - your post quote, "What's a Lyc and Conty?"

and from the member Markdun - "I havnt seen those. Are they two strokes, or copies of Jabiru or VW conversions?"

Your post is misleading for members in say RAA and others that don't know GA engines . Lycoming and Continental engines are GA certified engines.

Please don't mislead people who may not know.

AND your reply Capt Wally "Yeah they are just like VeeDub engines:-)" is just a crap and misleading answer. If you want to take over a thread, please do it with correct information for those who don't have your extreme wisdom of flying or don't answer.

SSCBD

• Like 2

I often think that mass produced Engines such as vehicle Engines are more reliable. My Lycoming did it's camshaft in a few years ago, luckily found from metal in the oil, never had a car Engine problem in the last 40 years.

Agreed. But even my Vanguard engine designed in the 50's had forced camshaft lubrication. In the rebuild of the Lycoming Engine I paid $1800 for an STC to drill holes for camshaft to change it to forced lubrication. My feeling is that both Lycoming and Continental are hiding behind the too hard to get approved curtain. After all Porsche got approval for a modern single control with computer systems in the 80's.

First time - Jab LSA55 as a student flying solo

1. Engine quit when I closed the throttle on short final with full flap thought was "Oh that's not supposed to happen" but was too busy starting rounding out to do much except land

2. about 100ft up and alone flying solo as a student

3. Time to wheels on the ground only a few seconds

4. Over the strip just as I came over the fence.

5. Did your training provide “sufficient real life experience” on how to deal with it? Yep

6. How was the outcome – no damage to the aircraft.

7. What would you advise to change in initial training of engine failures (if any). Remember just because the engine idels on ground text before takeoff does not mean its going to idle nicely 10 minutes later when you pull to idle on approach

8. What did YOU stuff up - Nothing this time - it went as it should have

9. Did you know what stopped the engine initally when it shut down or try to restart? It was over in seconds nothing to do mut just complete the landing

10. What would you have done differently in hindsight. made the instructor do a circuit in the aircraft before me -it was fresh from service and the idle adjust was set too low and someone else could have found it ;-)

11. What did you drink that night! – pepsi - I do not drink

Second time - Flightstar with R503 - certificated pilot flying solo

1. Engine quit when cruising in from the coast back towards the Oaks - engine just died when around 1000' AGL just before the hume highway thought was "Oh that's not supposed to happen"

2. About 1000ft up and alone

3. Time to wheels on the ground only a around 1 minute

4. Chose a hill ridge that was into wind and looked to be pasture - I always KNOW the wind direction on the ground at all times while flying and had already though that was my next landing field - always have best and next best options in mind when flying

5. Did your training provide “sufficient real life experience” on how to deal with it? Yep

6. How was the outcome – no damage to the aircraft - it was an unporting of the fuel feed in the tank (pipe installed upsidedown). drained fuel across and took off home

7. What would you advise to change in initial training of engine failures (if any). Remember just because you have enough fuel in the plane it may not get into the engine when you want it to - know where the wind is from and what your options are ... and be realistic, from 1000' up its under your wing and you are finished flying in under a minute

8. What did YOU stuff up - when taking on a new aircraft recommissioned after long being a hangar queen suspect EVERYTHING on the airframe

9. Did you know what stopped the engine initally when it shut down or try to restart? It was over in seconds nothing to do must just land. pull start only so restart was not viable - high drag, brick like glide just land

10. What would you have done differently in hindsight. Spent much longer circuit and local area flying when I would have found the fuel unbalanced and early unporting - you live and learn

Third time - T83 Truster with Robin 440 - certificated pilot flying solo

1. Engine started to fail on initial leg as I cleared the boundary fence - it was a hole in the front piston burning through and the sound of that is unmistakable - thought was "F%%%"

2. About 200ft up and alone

3. Time to wheels on the ground only a around 20 seconds

4. Lowered the nose with engine power gone and engine spinning down - engine stopped about 3 secionds after initial partial failure - turned about 10 deg to be direct into wind and avoid a horse and landed

6. How was the outcome – no damage to the airframe - it was a hole in the front piston due to carb leaning out with blockage

7. What would you advise to change in initial training of engine failures (if any). Nothing to change - I was taught they can always stop and you have to know what you are going to do with it

8. What did YOU stuff up - not much, but the engine was hard to starts and while it was runnig well in the ground and on power check I might have suspected something amiss due to difficulty in starting which was difference from usual

9. Did you know what stopped the engine initally when it shut down or try to restart? It was clearly not going to start again and in any event no time

10. What would you have done differently in hindsight. investigated why the engine has harder to start - the plug colour was good before i started (had them out to check before this flight) but it was just one of those things.

Fourth time - Flying Flea with R503 - certificated pilot flying solo

1. Engine started to fail on downwind with lots of oil being thrown back over me and power failing rather quickly thought was "Its a two strke - where is all the oil coming from?"

2. About 1000ft up and alone

4. Started tightening up the circuit and went into glide approach with reduced power - engine then quit while at around 700' - it glides worse than ANY thruster so and I changed to a cross wind laniding onto the other strip because completing a 90 deg turn and getting it on the ground would use all height

6. How was the outcome – no damage to the aircraft - it was a snapped stud on the head for the front piston - the oil was coming out of the head and a R503 will not run on 1 cylinder

7. What would you advise to change in initial training of engine failures (if any). Nothing to change - I was taught they can always stop and you have to know what you are going to do with it

8. What did YOU stuff up - not much, might have chosen a tighter circuit and/or a complete downwind landing when the partial/gradual failue started - but from start of failure to stop was less than 30 seconds so toss a coin for the difference between downwind and crosswind landing

9. Did you know what stopped the engine initally when it shut down or try to restart? It was clearly not going to start again and in any event it was hand start only from outside the cockpit or dive restart on that plane

10. What would you have done differently in hindsight. Done more than 10 minutes ground run but that probably would not have snapped the stud without extended full power which I can only do on takeoff.

Fifth time - Raven EcplisR R912 - certificated pilot flying solo

1. Engine threw all its oil out and engine instument failed to show it - sudden failure with seizure late downwind with aircraft thrown 90deg sideways thought was "F***"

2. About 600ft up and alone

4. Lost about 300ft height getting the aircraft udner control, was then pointing out to sea away from rundway, started glide approach into sewage treatment plant , grounds - got the wheel onto the ground (wet grass) around 400ft from the sea wall that would put me back into the sea and chose to collapse the undercarriage to stop before the sea wall

6. How was the outcome – no dammage to the wing, both rear legs folded but it was sitting upright on its belly tank, snapped crankshaft twisted engine frames with engine only loosly attached to airframe,

8. What did YOU stuff up - did not spot the frayed wire on the oil presure wire, did not know that a short on that wire with the engine monito was not going to show any failure - the red light stayed off. Stuffed up the radio call - unintended call on the ground frequency as I was making landing was simply me saying 'oh, dear' - I have not lived that down. Also not forgiven them for not coming to get me till after they finished their tea afte they got the call from me on the ground that I was ok

9. Did you know what stopped the engine initally when it shut down or try to restart? It was clearly not going to start again because I could see that it was not even sitting on the airframe squarely

10. What would you have done differently in hindsight. probably convert my excess speed to a few more feet as I got control of the aircraft and then would have had enough height for the 45deg turn that would have put me along the seawall and not heading at it. But such is life.

• Like 5
  • Informative 2

My last one was in a Jab engined Corby Starlet, At an Old Station fly in. Bitterly cold, early morning and the revs were set too low. When I pulled the power at the end of downwind the engine just stopped. I had a pretty good idea of what the problem was so just continued to the landing dead stick and I don't think any of thehundred or so people about on the ground realised anything was amiss. When I pulled up it started immediately and I taxied in. Training was good enough and I think the biggest thing is not to panic

• Agree 1

I have thousands of hrs GA, but all behind certified known engines such as Conty's, Lyc's, Pratt, IAE in heavy jets, just the way I like it..lolThe only other engine I have been behind of late is the Rotax 912ULS, was rather impressed but not the start up or shut down...sounded like it was gunna break!:-):-)

And a whine like a Humber Snipe

• Haha 1

I can't beat Kasper, as I've only had Four altogether, all in the same flying appliance, spread over several years, ie, a Mainair Gemini Flash II Flexwing / weightshift, 2 seat Microlight aircraft.

Three of these were Mechanical / electrical and the first one was pure and utter stupidity / Bad AIrmanship.

First event - Allowed myself to become distracted whilst rigging the aircraft, when a visitor came to ask about flying lessons. A Vital rule here, when rigging anything, is to go back to the beginning of the excercise, in case you may have missed something. Took off and travelled around 45 NM, with a non pilot in the back seat, taking copious photographs and emitting a constand barrage of questions from engine start, right up until it stopped. Cruising at 2500ft, I changed from the main fuel tank ( on the rear of the aircraft, benieath the engine ) to the portable 'Belly' tank, a space for which exists benet the rear seat. Thanks to my failure to 1) Re-do my rigging checks, and 2) Failure to check both tanks, ie, startup and taxy on the belly tank, and then switch to the main for takeoff - Distraction again - the Belly tank was still locked in the hangar. Landed without any drama, in a very large field, and the farmer took me to a garage with a jerry can.

Second event - Cruising around the area local to my base, with another photographer in the rear seat. There was a 'Clank' and the Rotax 503 stopped instantly, without winding down.

I was located around 3 NM North East of base at circa 3,000 feet and was able to easily glide back to the arfield, the runway in use was 07, so I even had a tailwind to assist. Arrived in the overhead with 800 feet available. Reason for stoppage ?. .Crank fractured between the two big end bearing journals.

Third event - Cruising at 2500 feet, approx 25 NM West of base, engine cut dead. Pax in rear seat. was able to find a field, although there were quite a lot of cows therein. They did not appear too bothered by my arrival. **Had the farmer been aware that my home airfield was only 1 mile from a farm which had Foot and Mouth disease, and had all it's cattle destruyed,m so that we had to drive in and out of our airfield over a bed of straw soaked in disinfectant,. . .then I'm sure he would have been slightly less friendly and probably burned my aircraft, since I had landed amongst his prize dairy herd. Engine stop caused by ignition coil failure.

Fourth event - Cllimbing away from an LAA Rally at RAF Kemble. Pax in rear seat. Climbed straight ahead to 1100 feet agl, as instructed to allow faster traffic to turn into circuit behind. Engine stopped. Informed ATC of the situation and conducted a nice wide turn to the opposite side of the airfield and landed on the huge grassed area without incident. Engine stop caused by a failure of one of the backplate magneto coils. This time, it was a trailer recovery job. I didn't take any risks with the 'Turn - Back' by the way, the site is huge, and there was no need to hurry it along, as ATC stopped all departures until I was safely down.

An amusing aside to this tale, my mate Geoff was taking video, and he asked, after the engine stoppe and we were half way around the turnback, " Are we gong to be OK Phil ?" Of course, smart alec here replied that " No, we're probably going to die in a blazing fireball Geoff" So what did he DO ? ? He put the lens cap on the bloody camera to protect the lens in the crash. . .So we only had the audio on the tape, which was amusing in itself. . .

( What did I drink that night ? . NOTHING OF COURSE ! as you all know I'm teetotal. )

Were these experiences scary ? . .Of course they bloody were ! My incidents were spread between 1991 and 2003 so I had plenty of time to forget being terrified between each one, so that each seemed a NEW and exciting experience !

Did I learn anything from the above ? . .Yes., I suppose I did. I never fell again into the distraction trap and since I had to taxi three hundred metres from the hangar block to the airfield, I always went thru the Checklist whilst taxying, and then again before take off. INCLUDING the additional item, ie, Physically feeling the belly tank neck filler protruding thru the side skirt. . . .

Following the first experience, I began, along with other club pilots, to practice pullling the engine to idle revs in the overhead and nearby, thereby refining the glide approach in differing wind condx

After around 1280 hours in this little aeroplane, I think I was beginning to get the hang of it . . . .

236643130_DadRachelLeanne2.jpg.631d4c80b73f95669360ae125c9c1a9d.jpg

Pictured with both Daughters 24 years ago, notice the small clear panel in the side skirt, this is where the auxiliary tank lives. . .

• Like 1

Gee some of you guys are experts at engine failures:-) With near 40 yrs driving planes & not one failure, I must be blessed:-)

Nah Capn. . . .some pilots are just unlucky I guess. . .( to have missed all the excitement I mean. . . )008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Haha 1

notice the small clear panel in the side skirt, this is where the auxiliary tank lives. . .no it didn't it was in the shed:roflmao: 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif113_im_with_stupid.gif.c7998083611453eb404ccd147fef8c5f.gif poking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gif:please:neil

Oh No !!!! Fergot the damn thing again ! bomb.gif.8dfedc171d37efc22ba0dd32e933ffc0.gif

• Haha 1

My first was in a Thruster, The old 503 broke a crank shaft and the thing just kept going on one cylinder making all sorts of noises but it kept running for another 30 minutes and I made it back to the airport, landed and taxied back to the hanger.

My second was in a powered parachute at 100 ft after take off, I just turned around and landed back at my take off point. ( PPCs are the best for fun and safety ).

• Like 1