How can we help this bloke?

Get him to join this site would be a good start and home built airplanes.com.

If he speaks English, if not Google translate helps.

A wooden design like mini Max with free plans would be a good start, he has a V twin and redrive already. Suitable wood should be available in Cambodia cheaply. Wood is the best candidate for his local.

Some knowledge on physics of flight would help a great deal.

That is where I would start, need to get in contact through BBC I guess.

• Like 1

Send him a set of plans to something made of wood with gentle flight characteristics and the ability to fly with a low powered engine - Pietenpol Aircamper for instance? With some good instructions or photo guides (good luck translating aviation and tooling terms into Khmer...) I reckon he's got the drive to get it made.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Send him a set of plans to something made of wood with gentle flight characteristics and the ability to fly with a low powered engine - Pietenpol Aircamper for instance? With some good instructions or photo guides (good luck translating aviation and tooling terms into Khmer...) I reckon he's got the drive to get it made.

Exactly, but plans for something that his engine can power, I suggest a Mini Max

Aircraft.

Exactly, but plans for something that his engine can power, I suggest a Mini MaxAircraft.

I agree Bex, but he's a motor mechanic and seems determined to use metal. He may not have timber-working skills. I still haven't heard from the BBC reporter.

Yes Lightie, I posted an email to that address. No reply yet.Thanks for finding that, by the way. Good sleuthing!

I have friends in very low places.

Oh sh*t the goons are at the door,.........

• Haha 3

Update: Holly (the reporter) has given me this bloke's Facebook contact (PM me if interested.)

She says "He is not confident in English, but if you're sending messages over Facebook he's probably using Google Translate. If you find you need a translator, let me know and I can put you in touch with one of my Cambodian colleagues (although they would require a fee, of course)

"I'd prefer if you didn't share too widely or post my messages publicly - I've had so many requests now, and I'm passing them all on, but he might be getting overwhelmed. If you had one person who could be a contact point with him, I think that would make things a bit easier for him (he also works full-time running his own busy garage!)."

I don't do Facebook; is there anyone on here who could contact him, maybe get him onto this site and perhaps offer some advice?

• Agree 1

I am going to Cambodia in January. I would love to catch up with this bloke if at all possible. Maybe we could sponsor a trip here to Aus and take him up in a light aircraft?

• Like 1

You guys have got hearts of gold, but I fear there's long term consequences by helping him too much with financing the build of a plane when the rest of his life and family are impoverished (relative).

I would limit it to plans and technical help along the way working with what he's got.

By the way, I believe I am by far the closest to him, so you lot chipping in for a plane ticket and accommodation for me to visit him for a week to offer technical support seems a very reasonable solution.

Design an aircraft made with bamboo and bamboo cotton or hemp fabric! Maybe a copy of a very early aircraft such as "Wrong way" Corrigans.

Put eyelets in the fabric and pull tight with cable ties. Bind the joints with wicker and get some wheels off a Honda "step through" scooter.

Maybe use some cable wire for bracing. Just a thought bubble.....

• Like 3

I am now his friend on Facebook... Wrote him a short simple message for translate telling him to look at this site and possibly start a build thread.

You guys have got hearts of gold, but I fear there's long term consequences by helping him too much with financing the build of a plane when the rest of his life and family are impoverished (relative).

. Sounds like he is doing this all on his own in the article. Looking at the glorious bird he built we could be adding longevity to his life :) ... lol

Design an aircraft made with bamboo and bamboo cotton or hemp fabric! Maybe a copy of a very early aircraft such as "Wrong way" Corrigans.Put eyelets in the fabric and pull tight with cable ties. Bind the joints with wicker and get some wheels off a Honda "step through" scooter.

Maybe use some cable wire for bracing. Just a thought bubble.....

I recall reading a story many many years ago, of a WW2 rescue episode in Burma, with a Dakota patched up with bed sheets. The troops never even used eyelets, from what I read. That was the days of real quality cotton, though, eh?

RAF Dakota in Burma WWII - Page 3 - PPRuNe Forums

I don't do Facebook; is there anyone on here who could contact him, maybe get him onto this site and perhaps offer some advice?

PM me his facebook contact and I`ll do what I can.

Hahaha... Franco.. I wrote to him last week... No reply but he liked a bunch of Skydiving and Aircraft pics on my Facebook page... ;) Hope you have better luck. My message was simple and direct :)

• Like 1