VTC, VNC, ERC and PCA charts now available online

Ok, I'll bite :) What's an RNC?

The old Radio Navigation Charts... I had a look online to see if I could point the thread to one earlier today, and while I found the old TPC's and ONC's, the RNCs are looooong gone. I think they went out with the old VAR beacons. Think of an early version of the current ERC.Here's an excerpt of one from the Airways Museum website, which was discussing the VAR beacon.

• 2 months later...
I've just seen that all charts apart from WACs are available for download from Airservices publications in the AIP chart section. Free! Has this just happened or have I just not noticed it before?

Hi,

call me crazy.... I want some paper charts and Auspost fees are killing me $10 or so every time I buy $30 of charts ! Anyone know where I can pick them up off the rack, like in a real bricks n mortar shop? (Canberra)

I presume they are done by CanPrint , the same mob who sell ERSA, but that doesn't mean they will have them in the print room in Fyshwick.

Also, with the online pdf's how does one print off a whole map without an industrial printer? They are no good for mandraulic navigation as they aren't necessarily in the right scale. (some conversions could be done no doubt)

Oh, to be past the clumsy necessities of an old school CFI who wants to see you work that whiz wheel and draw with pencil on a map. So anachronistic. Meanwhile my OzRunways subscription languishes in the back seat, because I'm not allowed to use it in their presence. What a waste.

Enjoy!

Ramjet

• Like 2

to print a large pdf onto several A4 pages select poster print in the print options

Sounds pretty messy plus all the sticky tape to.put it together. Almost worth just buying the map. But in theory that does work.

So anyone got any ideas on where I can go into a real store and just buy a VTC?

cheers

R

Sounds pretty messy plus all the sticky tape to.put it together. Almost worth just buying the map. But in theory that does work.So anyone got any ideas on where I can go into a real store and just buy a VTC?

cheers

R

Try Concept Aviation at Bankstown . They have an online ordering system and stock all your charts as well as lots of other pilot supplies . A Google search will find them . Hope this helps .

Dave

Yay! The 21st century has arrived!

Don't you have 'Pilot Shops' at your major airfields guys 'N' gals ? Most FBOs, Flying schools etc have maps for sale as part of their existence. . .. as they tell students to update them ASAP, so they keep new charts on the shelf for airfield visitors I don't understand this complaint about 'Excessive Postal charges' as we pay a Goddamm fortune in the UK to have ANYTHING posted via the not too recently 'Privatised' Royal Mail Service anyhow. . . . .

We have Pilot sjpps dotted around various Airfields, IF. . . you want paper maps then they are always available, IF. . . .You are happy to pay the arbitrary landing fee for wherever you land. . .whether you upload fuel or not, you are usually liable for a fee of between £12 and £25. . . .for the 'Pleasure' of landing at that site. . . . .SOME sites give you a £10.00 discount ifyou buy a certain amount of fuel. . . .Others do not bother with sensible discounts like this and continue to screw themselves into oblivion due to their their greedy stupidity. . . . .

It all boils down to the 'If they can afford to own an Aeroplane. . .they can affford our chrarges ' Bullcrap . . .and it has been proven over MANY instances that his just don't work cobber. . . .get stuffed.

My comment wasn't about the charges per say. Vector graphics for computer assisted plotting has been around in one form or another since the mid 1960s. Postscript as a standalone vector rendering format since the 1980s. Encapsulated postscript and PDF has been around since the early 1990. Transferring ~10mb files on the internet has been a thing since the mid 1990. But yet, charts for Australian airspace have been unavailable for low cost distribution on the internet until 2017! For "safety" reasons perhaps?

• Agree 1

More like they finally ran out of excuses not to have them available FREE as they always made money out of charts before. Mind you they are farking big files & slow to load on an average PC. Sydney VNC is 27MB.