Asiana 214 New Crash & Rescue footage 2017

Suggest you watch as full screen. Watch at normal speed then slow down to 0.5 speed and re-watch the first 70 seconds like that!!!

See how the shape gets larger and larger as he pulls back, then bang. Tail breaks off & then a giant ground loop of sorts.

Rosie the Riveter did a great job building this one - look at the debris yet fuse stayed fairly intact. Pax at rear didn't need slides, just stepped down onto ground?

The footage is from an Airport Tower camera. The first vehicle arrives at 2:45. A fire truck begins dousing the fire at 5:20 mark and another shortly after which appears to plough through escaping passengers & Police/Security arrive at 8:50. They seem to have the fire under control (almost out) & then it flares up dramatically at 15:45 & then they don't seem to be able to contain it & it just seems to burn itself out.

• Informative 1

Amazingly only 2 people died & a third later in hospital. I remember at the time some wag reported the pilots names as Sun Ting Wong and We Tu Lo.

Just talking to a mate about it. There's no slope guidance there, apparently . He's familiar with the place. Nev

If they were IMC that might be a factor, but the weather was clear and a million, blind Freddy could've been able to land a 777 without writing it off, and never mind about being 20 knots slow on approach.... What was P2 doing?!?

Amazingly only 2 people died & a third later in hospital. I remember at the time some wag reported the pilots names as Sun Ting Wong and We Tu Lo.

They did, and if I ever come across him, I'll buy 'em a beer!

• Haha 2

Two things I've learned from this. Don't fly Asiana and don't go via this airport. I can't believe a) How long it took to get the fairies there and b) How the second and third appliances basically just sat and watched for an age.

• Agree 1

Well spotted!!!! Obviously should have been firies but stupid spell check changed it. Must get into habit of proof reading. Having said that, they might as well have been fairies for all they initially did! Also can't believe that people risk their lives to retrieve their carry-on baggage. Don't they realise how quickly a fire can spread and just how toxic the smoke is? Have to say they were lucky in more ways than one!

• Agree 1

Two things I've learned from this. Don't fly Asiana and don't go via this airport. I can't believe a) How long it took to get the fairies there and b) How the second and third appliances basically just sat and watched for an age.

first thing I noticed about SFO, a group of workers standing around, half the workers where wearing ear protection, half weren't. half had safety vests on the other didn't, some smoking. but it seems typical of American workers these days

What was P2 doing?!?

I reckon P2 was watching but could not act because if he did, it would cause the senior pilot to "lose face".

I asked an Aussie captain who flies with an Asian airline if this could really happen. He said you better believe it. Some junior pilots in some Asian countries will watch the Captain crash rather than point out a mistake to the senior man!

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

That's been a common theme and is a "culture" thing especially if the Capt is a decorated ex military pilot. It's been discovered in many post accident investigations, but so has bringing in a fuel saving bonus and a few other factors involving training. When it gets bad the Aircraft manufacturers get involved. I don't choose only on fare price. It's your life and you only have one, here unless you have a re incarnation religion. Nev

I too am really picky about international airlines. I've flown Air India (I'd rather walk before I'd fly with them again) Qantas and BA (Cabin crew appear to think the passengers come last, in my experience anyway) Emirates (Most uncomfortable 777 seats ever) Brunei (Stages via Dubai airport which I hate, also an Emirates problem!) the only one we've flown more than twice is Cathay Pacific which is far and away our favourite!

• Like 1

I find Emirates and Qantas good. Having flown with Air India, Thai, & British. I won't fly with them again. Flew with one of the Indonesian internal airlines and had to make a stand about them wanting to take off with a bicycle in the cabin. I wouldn't recommend them. The best I have flown with is the A380 Emirates Dhubai to Heath row, comfortable and quiet.

Flew Etihad business class on their A380 to Paris last month , best long haul trip ever. Think they have recently gone back to B777 due to fall off in demand. Flat bed , got 5 hours sleep ! .... Bob

image.jpeg.81c0046ec43de8d32c76d6e8102715a4.jpeg

image.jpeg.e739b2deb76b52f3e715ccc9da05d069.jpeg

image.jpeg.7b6939999aa9366f68b1f8d700abf610.jpeg

• Like 1

All comes down to personal experience. Haven't flown A380 to LHR with Emirates and I sure as Hell haven't flown business class! Cattle class only for me so all my choices are relative to that.

• Agree 1

I find Emirates and Qantas good. Having flown with Air India, Thai, & British. I won't fly with them again. Flew with one of the Indonesian internal airlines and had to make a stand about them wanting to take off with a bicycle in the cabin. I wouldn't recommend them. The best I have flown with is the A380 Emirates Dhubai to Heath row, comfortable and quiet.

If I told you about our Air India experience you would swear I was making it up! 32rs Bne, Syd, Bombay, Calcutta, New Delhi (don't remember the order) Rome, Frankfurt, Paris and London and that was the least of it! Long time ago, 29yrs!

I heard that one passenger was run down by a fire truck and killed. The whole scene , landing and rescue smacks of amateurism.

The passenger, sadly a 16 year old girl, was one of the few ejected during the impact and was laying unconcious under some rubble.

Derek I can beat that. 43 hours elapsed from Melbourne to Toulouse. Booked by company to achieve lowest cost. Went Bangkok Copenhagen Frankfurt Paris. . That's 5 hours off two whole days. Nev

• Haha 1