solo taxi

johnm

in regards to flying solo ............... I can't recall if I ever taxied an aeroplane solo prior to flying solo

even if only to taxi a distance to fetch the instructor would there be something worthwhile in this (giving the instructor some exercise at least)

is there some rule against it ?

might be good for student pilots

please be gentle with any smart answers

From memory, taxiing was part of the process from fairly early on. It'd be a bit silly to leave it until after the first solo - how's the student meant to get the plane back after they land?

Oops I just figured out you said SOLO taxi. No... my instructor was never out of the plane until my first solo.

• Agree 2

AFTER first solo and at the approval of the CFI ONLY.

Is that a rule or your opinion? I can't find anything in the ops manual about it and as a senior instructor can send a student solo without direct approval of a CFI, I can't see why the instructor can't authorize a solo taxi.

Is that a rule or your opinion? I can't find anything in the ops manual about it and as a senior instructor can send a student solo without direct approval of a CFI, I can't see why the instructor can't authorize a solo taxi.

If the student isn't ready for solo flight, then isn't it a bit dangerous to send them on a solo taxi? What happens if they accidentally increase throttle too much?

• Agree 4

If the student isn't ready for solo flight, then isn't it a bit dangerous to send them on a solo taxi? What happens if they accidentally increase throttle too much?

Well, that's the challenge of being an instructor, you have to make a judgement. Just as you do when you send them off solo. You have to judge that the 'what happens if' scenario won't happen. Throttle control isn't all that difficult and you have to know and trust your student before you put them in that position.

I took the situation as being allowed to taxi without him/her touching anything which is pretty normal. I don't see the point of doing it as you describe. Its a cost and risk(small) for little/no benefit. You taxi because you have to and whether there's someone else there makes little difference and normally you get plenty of taxiing although turning in windy conditions can always be revisited for most inexperienced (and some experienced) pilots. Nev

• Agree 2

IF the prop is hand swung you are the "Approved" and only, person at the controls at that time even with a student licence. That is entered in your Log book by the CFI/Instructor.. Nev

Sorry yes an instructor may. Its under GA rules. Student must have a license or cert before he can taxi even his own aircraft. Somewhere in the GA rules but cant remember which one. But we are under those in RAA.

To clarify as I got in trouble at Bankstown when training. I had been solo on the next day I did a preflight and then just fired up the aircraft and taxied to get fuel, thinking it was fine as I had been solo. Big mistake. You are operating an aircraft unlicensed with no approval to do so. hence no insurance and a few other fed rules broken. However if an instructor gives approval for that movement that day then that's fine.

Also, some lame's can taxi an aircraft for example an aircraft, but they get approved and operate under an exemption.

Another example is that you cannot by the letter of the law Taxi an aircraft when you don't have a current BFR. RAA falls under those rules.

• Like 1

Another comment is that if the aerodrome is privately operated and is unregistered CASA regulations are only advisory when ground operations are concerned. CAAP 92-1 Guidelines for ALAs clearly states in the first 2 sentences.

"The information in this publication is advisory only. There is no legal requirement to observe the details set out in this publication." It is only when your wheels leave the ground that CASA regulations apply. There's plenty of training carried out at unregistered ALAs so at these aerodromes so long as you have the permission of the operator you can taxi an aeroplane there regardless of your licenced status.

Another comment is that if the aerodrome is privately operated and is unregistered CASA regulations are only advisory when ground operations are concerned. CAAP 92-1 Guidelines for ALAs clearly states in the first 2 sentences."The information in this publication is advisory only. There is no legal requirement to observe the details set out in this publication." It is only when your wheels leave the ground that CASA regulations apply. There's plenty of training carried out at unregistered ALAs so at these aerodromes so long as you have the permission of the operator you can taxi an aeroplane there regardless of your licenced status.

But not your insurance

You beat me to the button there Marty. ABSOLUTE NO NO in my view and I do not care what anyone else says about this because it will be utter bullcrap.

If a person is not authorised to 'FLY' that aircraft as a solo student, then he / she should not even turn on the Master switch, let alone start the engine without a qualified instructor being on board and in full command supervision of the controls.

The only exception to this would be a licenced airframe and engine engineer who may have been given a dispensation so to do. I have an engineer friend who is licenced, LICENCED . . .to taxi jet airliners for ground test and relocation purposes. I would be most surprised if such dispensations do not exist in Australia.

Commonsense should prevail, irrespective of anecdotes to the contrary. Sorry if this sounds a bit severe.

( Yes, I agree that SOME of us have probably done this. . . . .)

To clarify as I got in trouble at Bankstown when training. I had been solo on the next day I did a preflight and then just fired up the aircraft and taxied to get fuel, thinking it was fine as I had been solo. Big mistake. You are operating an aircraft unlicensed with no approval to do so. hence no insurance and a few other fed rules broken. However if an instructor gives approval for that movement that day then that's fine.Also, some lame's can taxi an aircraft for example an aircraft, but they get approved and operate under an exemption.

Another example is that you cannot by the letter of the law Taxi an aircraft when you don't have a current BFR. RAA falls under those rules.

Sorry Cobber,. . .I didn't see your post first. . . .Je Agree mon ami.

Another comment is that if the aerodrome is privately operated and is unregistered CASA regulations are only advisory when ground operations are concerned. CAAP 92-1 Guidelines for ALAs clearly states in the first 2 sentences."The information in this publication is advisory only. There is no legal requirement to observe the details set out in this publication." It is only when your wheels leave the ground that CASA regulations apply. There's plenty of training carried out at unregistered ALAs so at these aerodromes so long as you have the permission of the operator you can taxi an aeroplane there regardless of your licenced status.

I don't refute the regulations you quote, but I still maintain that this is an accident primed to happen.

Guest alpipete

My instructor had a mirage,whilst he was training me in a bantam.One day he said just take the mirage out and do some taxi practice this i did but on opening up the throttle a wee bit more hell i was slightly airborne,wheels about a metre off the deck,great feeling and i reckon i could have done a perfect circuit but NO closed the throttle and taxied back.Rather be an OLD pilot not a BOLD one as the saying goes