List of Airports in Australia that require an ASIC?

Airmaster

Hi,

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting an ASIC card, or if I'll be alright with an AVID.

Does anyone have a list of the airports that require pilots to have an ASIC card?

I know that it's any airport with RPT (Regular Public Transport), but I figure there's a government agency with a list on a website somewhere.

Thanks!

CASA has a webpage relating to ASIC card questions. I'd suggest that would be a good place to start. They state that ASIC cards are only issued if there is an "operational need".

"Operational need" is defined as;

"CASA can only issue ASICs to applicants with an operational need as defined in CASA's program with the Office of Transport Security.

Applicants must either:

1. hold a valid Flight Crew Licence (as per Part 61) and a current Australian Aviation Medical Certificate OR

2. be enrolled, and undergoing training, with a Part 141 certified training organisation."

If you aren't covered by a need to have an ASIC card issued from CASA, other "issuing bodies" (authorities) can issue an ASIC card.

A list of these "issuing bodies" can be found on the Dept of Infrastructure and Regional Development website.

However, further study of the DIRD website finds this qualifying statement regarding ASIC cards;

"The white ASIC or MSIC cannot be used to facilitate access at airports, maritime ports, Australian flagged ships, or offshore facilities."

In essence, it appears that unless you can prove you have a continuing, operational need for an ASIC card, you will not be able to acquire one for casual or irregular visits to all security-controlled areas.

Security of national infrastructure is not only all about proving up the ID of people working there, it is all about restrictions on the numbers of security cards issued, and the issuing of those cards on a strict needs basis.

Your ASIC questions answered | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Identity security amendments

As you said, it's any airport where RPT operate. As for enforcement? That can be a bit "inconsistent" shall we say? I wasn't carded at Bundy, but was pulled up at Thangool! Go figure. Was at Dubbo, but not at Moree. I wouldn't guarantee those results though.

As you said, it's any airport where RPT operate. As for enforcement? That can be a bit "inconsistent" shall we say? I wasn't carded at Bundy, but was pulled up at Thangool! Go figure. Was at Dubbo, but not at Moree. I wouldn't guarantee those results though.

I have never had to show my card in 4 years. Incidentally, I refueled at Thangool last year and needed to use the facilities in the terminal but couldn't find a code for the security gate, but since the fence beside the terminal was only a little over waist high, it wasn't an insurmountable problem. As to the question of which airfields are security controlled - lots, in fact most of the airfields with 24 hour fuel pumps are also security controlled. OK, I know there are exception, but I have done a couple of trips from Victoria to central Queensland and about half my stops were at security airports.

• Agree 1

An item on tonight's news with a senior Qantas A380 captain complaining about the lack of proper security airside, and how security screening etc is theatre for the passengers. He says once someone has an ASIC there is little checking on them and they have access to aircraft for all sorts of reasons. Nick X wants a Senate enquiry into airport security and the ASIC.

• Informative 1

I have never had to show my card in 4 years. Incidentally, I refueled at Thangool last year and needed to use the facilities in the terminal but couldn't find a code for the security gate, but since the fence beside the terminal was only a little over waist high, it wasn't an insurmountable problem. As to the question of which airfields are security controlled - lots, in fact most of the airfields with 24 hour fuel pumps are also security controlled. OK, I know there are exception, but I have done a couple of trips from Victoria to central Queensland and about half my stops were at security airports.

Way back when I had an ASIC - I had only one request to see it - Mudgee !! where the RPT had not operated for several years. I waved my, by then, LAPSED card - all good.

Way back when I had an ASIC - I had only one request to see it - Mudgee !! where the RPT had not operated for several years. I waved my, by then, LAPSED card - all good.

Has anyone been fined for not being able to produce an ASIC?