Chinese show today

bexrbetter

For aviation I am a little fortunate to be 15 kms away from the main flight training University in China. Although people are right to mention there is not many light aircraft to be seen in Chinese skies, I see Cessna 172 and twin engined somethings to the level of annoyance.

Civil Aviation Flight University of China - Wikipedia

Anyway, they have their first big show from Today 'til Tuesday (Public holidays start on Sunday) and I went today to miss the weekend crowd, I guess there was only about 200,000 there today .....

Except for the old aircraft from their years of training, it was utterly boring with the exception of the flying shows, Russian stunt pilots at their best, from multiple jets, to multiple piston, bi-plane dog fights and various solos. If you want to see action on the cheap, get yourselves here next year, if you want to see new models and accessories, forget it, although the old stuff is interesting. As far as I could find, Evektor were the only new planes on display, 3 of them.

553662346_show1.jpg.d38e812949111d54c5ffafb234a2cca4.jpg

The Russians at it.

1598915508_show2.jpg.a91e5d6912ff0152b87b562f50980812.jpg

A weirdo older pusher canard designed by a University in China. Was supposed to hit production but didn't, there's a story on the net somewhere, see if I can find it. Burt Rutan, eat your heart out!

1073070954_show7.jpg.b340eea3ace260c71bebe2eebadc6640.jpg

Another older Chinese attempt i believe.

608407820_show6.jpg.60b6a3bce2661132d3cf42208364cab3.jpg

One of the Evektors.

262649102_show8.jpg.0ad6ff83b4ac44e7ceac6cd5367529bf.jpg

Some Chinese rubbish, they won't have a hope of selling these, just look at them!

1964116795_show3.jpg.1d5e6a1561cf84b9fe8ac440cb25f680.jpg

I took some videos, I'll go through them and see if anything interesting, I could not for the life of me see a damn thing on the phone screen due to the glare, i am surprised at how these pictures came out.

308487655_show5.jpg.c43b0816cc3c819e27f1e8098d81fd50.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative 2

The older chinese attempt. looks like a quad city challenger copy?

The canard thing is a whole lot of wierd. But would be fun crow hoping that thing :)

Whats with all the Jabs? Do They have a dealer over there Bex?

• Informative 1

With Chinglish translation ...

AD100 is a single ultralight aircraft developed by China University of Aeronautics and astronautics to meet the needs of the foreign market, in cooperation with US AI Dassault Limited (Adaso, INC.). May 1984, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics (NAI) and the United States of America AI Dassault Co., Ltd. agreed to jointly develop, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics undertook all the design and development The company is responsible for providing the latest information, equipment and sales in foreign markets.

August 1985 completed the prototype flight test, designed to meet the United States

FAR103 Department of the relevant provisions.

AD100 single Super Light aircraft in November 1985 to participate in the United States Light Aircraft Expo in Los Angeles, 1986, respectively, in Shanghai, Nanjing held in the Foreign Trade fair and Beijing domestic civil aircraft reporting exhibition, was widely praised. May 1986, the Australian fitness Sports equipment company came to Nanjing to buy a AD100 aircraft. AD100 can be used for aerial photography, topographic surveying, forest protection, agricultural transportation and so on after proper modifications.

The AD100 development AD200 (double seater) is scheduled to complete the prototype test by the end of 1986.

Design features

AD100 adopts advanced duck-style layout, fully enclosed cockpit and whole FRP composite body structure. AD100 can be easily decomposed into front wings, fuselage, two main wings and two small wings. Can be loaded into the supporting design of the special trailer. Trailers can be towed by a car or limousine and stored in a general home garage. AD100 shape novel, beautiful appearance, cabin comfort, open vision, simple operation, flight safety. The plane can take off on the dirt track or on the lawn.

Wing: Cantilever type upper monoplane, relative thickness is 20%, leading edge sweep is 12 °. TAN type structure. Skin is a FRP honeycomb sandwich panel. The trailing edge is fitted with a pair of aileron flaps. When used as flaps, it can be 20° downward. As aileron use can be deflected 15 °. The wing tip is fitted with a composite small wing, which is both directional and directional, and the rudder deflection range is 25°.

Front wing: straight wing full composite honeycomb sandwich structure. Elevator maximum lower 25°, maximum -5°, front wing and fuselage through three bolts connected.

Fuselage: shell-shaped long circular section structure. The shell is made of honeycomb panels and aviation laminates. The fuselage equivalent diameter is 0.89 meters. The machine has a number of reinforced frames made of aerial laminates.

Landing gear: first three points. The main landing gear for the overall arched FRP structure, with the fuselage reinforced box bonding, no metal connectors. The front landing gear is a metal welded structure that can be manipulated to turn and glide, linkage with the rudder and equipped with a front-wheel brake mechanism.

Powerplant: Equipped with a Rotax-277 two-stroke single-cylinder piston engine, power 19.9 kw (27 hp), using a standard two-blade propulsion propeller. The middle part of the fuselage is equipped with a 19 litre tank.

The cockpit is fitted with adjustable seats. The front and back of the seat is 200 mm. Open with adjustable vent.

System: three-axis control system. Equipped with independent working flaps. The elevator and flaps are hard to manipulate, and the rudder is a soft type.

Airborne Equipment: Equipped with general international instrumentation, but also equipped with the latest American life-saving umbrella, in case of emergency, can ensure that the crew and aircraft safely landing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

really interesting, thanks!

I know nothing about the Chinese general/recreational aviation scene I'm sad to say, but ... well given China's where the money is these days and it's huge I'd image not too long before we start to see some pretty decent offerings!

AD100 can be easily decomposed

Well, that's good for the environment.

beautiful appearance

Sorry, translation is busted...

The elevator and flaps are hard to manipulate, and the rudder is a soft type.

So... if you want to borrow $20 from it, don't try the elevator or flaps, go straight for the rudder.

American life-saving umbrella, in case of

...acid rain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

really interesting, thanks!I know nothing about the Chinese general/recreational aviation scene I'm sad to say, but ... well given China's where the money is these days and it's huge I'd image not too long before we start to see some pretty decent offerings!

Not. Except maybe from me.

Chinese have very little interest in developing new product, they would rather just invest in a current product and put it into production, which they then don't. It's complicated, just ask Brumby.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, you copped quite a bit of flack, back when, about your predictions of Brumby's dealings in China......

Meh, used to it, they always know better. You can only offer to help.

Even if they get there they will be scratching their heads as to why the production costs are no where near the difference they originally thought they would be when they started down this track.

Cessna Skycatcher LSA anybody ....

By manufacturing the aircraft in China, Cessna reported that it saved US$71,000 in production costs per aircraft produced.

Cessna President and CEO Jack Pelton had originally indicated that Cessna was aiming for a price of under US$100,000 for the aircraft, which Pelton indicated would be a challenge to achieve. At that price point Pelton predicted that Cessna would be able to sell 600 of the aircraft per year.

The 22 July 2007 announcement indicated that these price goals were not met. The first 1000 aircraft ordered were sold for US$109,500. The price was increased to US$111,500 in 2008 and US$112,250 in 2010.

In November 2011 the company indicated that the price was being increased to US$149,000.

Welcome to China.

Brumby, I can advise you on some of your problems, and maybe make you aware of the money that you don't know should be yours, contact me, but it's not free this time, and only because you're Australian.

• Like 2
  • Caution 1

Design featuresAD100 adopts advanced duck-style layout, fully enclosed cockpit and whole FRP composite body structure. AD100 can be easily decomposed into front wings, fuselage, two main wings and two small wings. Can be loaded into the supporting design of the special trailer. Trailers can be towed by a car or limousine and stored in a general home garage. AD100 shape novel, beautiful appearance, cabin comfort, open vision, simple operation, flight safety. The plane can take off on the dirt track or on the lawn.

I thought it looked familiar.

I don't know anything about "May 1986, the Australian fitness Sports equipment company came to Nanjing to buy a AD100 aircraft", but around 1987 a delegation of Chinese travelled around parts of Oz touting this aircraft as being the fabulous new offering from China that was going to revolutionise the way we looked at sport/ultralight aircraft.

Some of us were invited to the airstrip at Rambler's Drop Zone in Toogoolawah (Brisbane Valley, about 100km west of Brisbane) for a 'show and tell' day. They had the aircraft out of the trailer and assembled and trotted out their spiel which was very re-assuring, their test pilot said a few words too and then they were about to pack it all up again and several of us suggested we'd like to see it fly ... ya know?

For some reason they were rather reticent about that, so being the gung ho type he was, my old mate Bazza (Barry Hughes - quite a few of you will have known him) talked his way into having a go in it.

He completed one rather wobbly circuit and when he climbed out of it he declared how delighted he was to be safely back on the ground and that the thing was 'an absolute dog'.

The Chinese delegation next headed south, to Canberra IIRC, and was never heard of again - not by any of us, anyway.

• Informative 1

• 6 years later...
On 04/10/2017 at 8:13 AM, Head in the clouds said:

I don't know anything about "May 1986, the Australian fitness Sports equipment company came to Nanjing to buy a AD100 aircraft", but around 1987 a delegation of Chinese travelled around parts of Oz touting this aircraft as being the fabulous new offering from China that was going to revolutionise the way we looked at sport/ultralight aircraft.

A friend has bought this single seater canard aircraft - the Nanjing AD-100 Traveller 10-1257 (rego lapsed 1993).  It has "Healthequip" on it.  The son who sold it didn't know much about it, but said his father "flew it all over the place".  I have dredged up specs from my sources, but he would like to know the history. 

It has a Robin engine (under powered), needs lots of work, but the new owner wants to restore it to flying condition as it is a pretty unique aircraft.  The wings are designed to be removed by one person and weigh about 10-20kg, it has L&R rudder pedals, and he says it is well designed.  Any one know more about it?

One of only 3 photos on the net. This one looks like it is fitted with cropspraying nozzles.

NanjingAD-100Traveller.jpg.f131a1a0201a26490b473e0f7f309c92.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not an EZY going sort of guy Why use  the  stalling of a control surface as a way of control? SEEMS good till you THINK about it.  Nev

On 31/03/2024 at 9:45 AM, red750 said:

One of only 3 photos on the net. This one looks like it is fitted with cropspraying nozzles.

NanjingAD-100Traveller.jpg.f131a1a0201a26490b473e0f7f309c92.jpg

One of the first chemtrail spraying aircraft, methinks

• Haha 1