CREDIT CARD FRAUD

boleropilot

g'day All,

The only reason I am posting this is because I was once told that in the event of credit card fraud, check the last good transaction before the bad one/s.

I paid a renewal using the RAA website system yesterday and I have had over a dozen fraudulent transactions since then. I am NOT saying for a moment that the RAA site is the problem but it may be - at this stage I don't know. I can't contact them until 0800 Friday EDST so I am posting this just in case. Why not be safe and check your computer banking records just in case.....

As it stands with my fraudulent transactions I am not particularly concerned because Westpac has assured me that all bad transactions can be identified - the card was cancelled some hours ago so any further attempts by my little friends will all be "unable".

BP

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 3

yeah I didn't think the RAA website was a problem but I put the post on Justin Case...ya never know - can't wait for the grubs to turn up at their 'click and collect' place to have security waiting - hahahahaha !

BP

• Informative 1

The only time I've been scammed with a CC, was not long after I did a CC transaction with a small U.S. company - via email, basically against my wishes and normal modus operandi.

This small company didn't have an online facility for conducting a CC transaction - so they requested I email the CC details. I split the CC details between two emails to try and defeat any scammers.

However, not so many weeks after, I noticed two unauthorised transactions on my CC - one in Melbourne and one in Brisbane - for around $500 each. Both were for items I wouldn't normally buy, such as womens fragrances, etc.

I contacted my bank and had the CC stopped. They carried out an investigation and refunded my losses. As a matter of interest, I asked where the scammers were operating from. It was no surprise to hear the answer - "SW Sydney".

I use Emsisoft virus and computer intrusion protection - I use Mailwasher to check my emails prior to download, and delete all the scammers emails with phishing links and forged addresses, as well as the virus-and-trojan-carrying ones.

So the only thing I can blame for the hack, is the people I dealt with in the U.S. I reckon their computer network was hacked, and my CC details gleaned from their system.

The scammers probably found a goldmine, if this company was carrying out every online transaction, via simple emails.

In reply to onetrack....

It's not necessarily the hacker that does the scam.

Hackers infiltrate (for want of a better term) a company then on-sell the cc details.

More than likely those using the card illegally purchased a bulk list of aussie cc details...

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I've been scammed 3 times. The first was when in a top rate hotel in the 90s when you put your credit card on the plate to pay the meal bill & they brought back the zip/zap machine. An employees took the carbons. I got refunded & the employee went to jail.

The second was a couple of years ago just before Christmas & my bank rang me to report odd activity. The card was cancelled & there was no cost to me.

The 3rd was when I wanted to watch a sports game that wasn't being broadcast live. I googled "live web access" to the game & got to the site. I had to create a "Free" login account & they requested CC details. I checked the site legitimacy & all was OK. Registered & CC was debited with zero $. I then had to re-login after an email with a password. This then said I had been upgraded & automatically debited my card with $3.74. When I got in it was just full of down loadable games with more cost & no access to the game promised & so I cancelled my subscription which the site said was immediate. I immediately check my CC account on line & found 3 transactions totalling just over $5.00. These were all cancelled immediately after calling the bank. The site was legit but not at all ethical. They probably get plenty of people who just don't bother complaining so make heaps this way.

Worst case in my experience was a card that was compromised within 48 hours of receipt. Used only once on a telephone online transaction with a large and reputable Australian company. So it was either them or the bank itself that was the issue. As usual they refused to advise me of the outcome.

Worst case in my experience was a card that was compromised within 48 hours of receipt. Used only once on a telephone online transaction with a large and reputable Australian company. So it was either them or the bank itself that was the issue. As usual they refused to advise me of the outcome.

My parents both got cards cancelled because of suspect transactions in Sydney before the cards had arrived in their regional mail. Both used in different joining western Sydney suburbs. The card details must have been compromised at the card issuing centre and duplicate cards made.

My parents both got cards cancelled because of suspect transactions in Sydney before the cards had arrived in their regional mail. Both used in different joining western Sydney suburbs. The card details must have been compromised at the card issuing centre and duplicate cards made.

Yes, I've heard of similar cases.

I once used a hole in the wall bank machine in Sydney at Darlinghurst near the maritime museum, and withdrew 400 out of my bank , that night another 400 was taken out of my account, I contacted the bank and they investigated and it turned out that the hole in the wall machine had a scimmer thing fitted by scammers and they had got over 100 people before they closed it down. The bank took a long time [4 weeks] but eventually got my money back, they did not catch them as far as I know......[commonwealth bank]

If you eat pizza found out you can't trust Dominos pizza online ordering website, their email list was either hacked or they sold the info to spammers.... CC payments MAY be safe but personal (name, suburb, email) info isn't. You should put in a bogus email address if you use it.

• Informative 1

after making a few phone calls to the suppliers of goods to these grubs, by asking simple questions, I found out more about the perpetrators than Westpac know !!! yesterday I spoke to Westpac again and gave them (a) an email address (Hotmail - who wooda thunk) (b) the name of a certain skank (using our surname) © and the last three numbers of said skank's mobile phone number....

Westpac seemed totally uninterested in the information and assure me that the pleece will take care of the matter - the best part I like was when one of the vendors told me that it was a Click & Collect purchase and that the item had not yet been collected - they assured me that video would be taken, their security people would be quickly summoned, identification would be checked, and registration of any vehicle used would be noted.

hilarious - as long as I get all the refunds, that is.....

• Winner 1

Westpac seemed totally uninterested in the information and assure me that the pleece will take care of the matter

Its exceedingly difficult to get anything useful out of banks. During one of my past internet-based hobbies, I frequently came across bank account details being used for fraudulent purposes and large numbers of credit card numbers being circulated between crooks. I made many frustrating calls to bank security people who seemed to have a 'don't give a crap' attitude and mumbled on about privacy issues. Fortunately I found a police contact (not in Oz, they were useless) who was happy to deal with the CC lists.

It comes down to the cost of recovery and prosecution.

Lower amounts (up to 5 or even 10 thousand) are just written off and the losses absorbed into the business plan/model.

The cost for a bank employee (or worse, a contractor) per day to investigate and try to recover the funds can easily excede the funds lost. It's probably not morally right but that's how it is.....

"White collar" crime, such as fraud, is rarely heavily penalised. It's seen as a "victimless" crime.

My middle nephew is running a big business, and a woman book-keeper he employed 2 days a week ripped him off for a sum he could never pin down accurately - but it was at least $300,000.

He was trusting, and slack on his financial checks of course - and he didn't realise she had a gambling problem. This woman worked for another business for 3 days a week, and she ripped them off for at least $600,000.

When she was caught, she immediately claimed bankruptcy, of course - and when she went to court, it was on reduced charges, because the business owners couldn't prove the exact amount stolen - so the charges read lesser amounts.

She got 4 years, and was out in 18 months on parole, much to the disgust of my nephew and the other business owner.

What grated on them, was the fact she'd been doing regular runs to Bali and carrying cash with her. No-one knows what she socked away overseas, and the police aren't interested in chasing it up.