Timing is everything.......

Odd float plane!Kas

Despite it's appearance, it's not a floating hull Kaz. The other float is counterbalanced on the port wingtip out of range of the camera which really makes it odd! 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

• Haha 1

I can't see any tip floats at all. It's a sea plane, Consolidated PBY Catalina .On the PBY-5A (amphibious) they retract and may also do so on the others. Hydraulically powered by a 2 stroke motor inside the plane in some versions.. Very safe Not.. Nev

Amazing, that how on a mountain lake, there are 2 guys fishing, and I counted 3 different camera angles, so there must have been another 3 other people surrounding these guys just watching and filming these guys fishing, when a plane just happened to come along. What a coincidence !!!!!!

• Like 2

Interesting but fake.

It is a funny thing how fishing can be so absorbing.

You might remember we had the "Tall Ships" in Melbourne around the time of the Bi-centenary?

I was aboard the Fisheries Patrol Vessel, "Delphinus which led the flotilla from its berths at Port Melbourne out through the the Heads of Port Phillip.

As we approached Fawkner Beacon with about 15 large sailing ships following closely behind, we saw a small, open boat with outboard motor and two gentlemen sitting in the fairway. They were fishing.

Now, it's illegal to moor or fish there, but they didn't mind. I guess the fish were biting or the cold beer and sun had taken effect, but they didn't hear twin 1100 HP MANS approaching. Didn't even look up, until...

The twin air horns and siren disturbed there peace at which they looked up and responded just like the guys in that video. There was 76' of hard chine aluminium shaped into a rather pointy edged weapon bearing down on them with a 10' bow wave to encourage them

Mr Kennett subsequently sold the good ship "Delphinus" and Fisheries enforcement has been woeful ever since.

Kaz

Just a bit of technical cleaning up;

Float plane, Sea plane?

OK, a float plane is an aeroplane fitted with floats, allowing it to land on water.

A Seaplane is a broad (american?) term that can cover anything that lands on water regardless of layout.

The Catalina at the top has a 'Floating hull/fuselage', more usually referred to as a 'Flying Boat'.

Early seaplanes (hull or floats) were typically only capable of landing on water, until the idea of retracting undercarriage was introduced, whereupon they were then regarded as amphibious.

As for the first video, yep, totally staged with stuntmen, but also shot with a strong telephoto lens, making the plane appear closer than it was.

However, if you watch for the shadow, it wasn't THAT far away 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Beats me how a crew could wreck that Goose doing a water landing, when it was just one week old!

F/Lt J Bartle would have to be in line for some kind of Turkey award, for that monumental stuff-up.

It's even less understandable when you read the reports on the Grumman Goose's excellent handling and flyability.

From Disciples of Flight -

“The Goose is a well-balanced, responsive airplane that has a good feel to it, and is one of those airplanes that is just enjoyable to fly.”

I bet that American Charity never handed over any other costly aircraft to the Australians, for free, ever again.

One could forgive a war-action-related loss - but to lose a brand new, very useful aircraft in that simply stupid manner - particularly at a crucial stage of the War, when aircraft were in desperate short supply, is unforgivable.

One can only speculate that the loss was caused purely by grossly inadequate type training - or by a bolshy, gung-ho crew. Perhaps it was caused by trying a very difficult night landing on the water, in conditions outside the crews skills set.