RA-AUS PC allowed to fly VH registered aircraft?

barryco

I have an RA-AUS pilot certificate and mostly fly a Jabiru J230.

Would I be allowed to fly a VH registered 230 provided I stayed within the RA-AUS rules e.g. no flight into CTA etc?

...or can I only fly an RA-AUS registered aircraft?

Part of me cringes as I write this as I may be exposing a high level of ignorance of the rules but here goes.....

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

I have an RA-AUS pilot certificate and mostly fly a Jabiru J230.Would I be allowed to fly a VH registered 230 provided I stayed within the RA-AUS rules e.g. no flight into CTA etc?

...or can I only fly an RA-AUS registered aircraft?

Part of me cringes as I write this as I may be exposing a high level of ignorance of the rules but here goes.....

Thanks

But you can contract with a GA school to undertake a flight review and gain a GA RPL based on your RAA training. If you pick up some RAA endorsements on the way you can obtain the equivalent RPL endorsements - like the cross country. Try a GA school that trains on J230s or C152s to minimise the aircraft differentials. Keep us posted on your efforts and rewards. Gostner Aviation at Camden trains RAA and GA in Jabirus, Schofields Flying Club at Bankstown and Curtis at Camden are GA only but are well regarded and have transitioned people from RPC to PPL without much pain to either side. you could also talk to Bruce Robins at Wollongong who trains RAA but who might have some good advice.

• Like 1

Of course you can fly it Barry as it is the same aircraft type . The only difference is whether it has numbers or letters for registration.

Can you fly it legally, of course not. So don’t get caught.

• Agree 2

Silly thing about this is the RA pilot would most likely be more Current in Flying hours than a GA pilot as flying is cheaper. So who is the safer pilot a GA pilot that does not fly a lot (most do there 3 take of and lndings just to stay current) because of the cost or the RA pilot who probably flys most days or at least once a week.

• Agree 1

Take

Silly thing about this is the RA pilot would most likely be more Current in Flying hours than a GA pilot as flying is cheaper. So who is the safer pilot a GA pilot that does not fly a lot (most do there 3 take of and lndings just to stay current) because of the cost or the RA pilot who probably flys most days or at least once a week.

Takeoffs, landings and circuits are the most character building activities in aviation - highly stressful and action packed. The only other aviation activity of high stress is paying the bills.

• Agree 3

I flew GA for years only flying enough time doing circuits to keep minimum currency.. while developing an experimental gyroplane for a business which did not work out.. (it was all about cost) Now have a Supa Pup and can't hardly wait to fly more consistently and purposefully and get a lot more hours in the saddle.. and the accompanying higher skill and safety level that goes with that.. The rules of GA vs RAAus were always going to be difficult.. wherever there is a written rule there is of necessity a boundary and someone is always right on that boundary and wonders why a very small change changes all the rules.. its just a fact of life. The only thing that really helps is if we can find ways to 'simplify' those rules and I think the US model could help us greatly on this.. AOPA is an organization attempting to make some headway in this direction..

Thanks to all and safe flying in the new year..

RAA pilots certificate fly any aircraft up to 600kg MTOW outside of controlled airspace day VFR ?? would be fun a nano jet or rocket powered aircraft at 260 kias

Has to be single engine piston driven (but I've been wrong before)

This might seem like a dumb question but why is RA flying significantly cheaper using the same aircraft? Assuming one already has a GA license.

• Caution 1

This might seem like a dumb question but why is RA flying significantly cheaper using the same aircraft? Assuming one already has a GA license.

It’s not. The original poster has it wrong. All things being equal -

GA is cheaper if you have the same aircraft that could be registered in either category.

Say for instance you owned two jabiru 230s - one RAAus and one VH. And you had a PPL to fly the Vh one and an RAAus licence to run the other.

Before you turn a prop on either - your PPL costs you nothing per year your VH rego costs you nothing. They are both perpetual.

On the other hand the the RAAus certificate costs you yearly membership of RAAus. Your RAAus rego costs you yearly fees as well.

Things diverge a bit for some of the other costs though. This is where the VH might get ahead. Medicals. Depending on your medical status and age you may have to start forking out for medicals. If you are less than 40and fit and well then the costs are pretty minimal.

• Informative 1

It’s not. The original poster has it wrong. All things being equal -GA is cheaper if you have the same aircraft that could be registered in either category.

Say for instance you owned two jabiru 230s - one RAAus and one VH. And you had a PPL to fly the Vh one and an RAAus licence to run the other.

Before you turn a prop on either - your PPL costs you nothing per year your VH rego costs you nothing. They are both perpetual.

On the other hand the the RAAus certificate costs you yearly membership of RAAus. Your RAAus rego costs you yearly fees as well.

Things diverge a bit for some of the other costs though. This is where the VH might get ahead. Medicals. Depending on your medical status and age you may have to start forking out for medicals. If you are less than 40and fit and well then the costs are pretty minimal.

Try hiring a VH Jab and an RAA Jab and see which one is cheaper.

If you are the owner and have some mechanical nouse then maintenance of RAA is much cheaper.

Of course you can fly it Barry as it is the same aircraft type . The only difference is whether it has numbers or letters for registration.Can you fly it legally, of course not. So don’t get caught.

The 11th Commandment :- Thou shalt not get caught.

Is relevant in this situation.

KP

Try hiring a VH Jab and an RAA Jab and see which one is cheaper.If you are the owner and have some mechanical nouse then maintenance of RAA is much cheaper.

AGain you have to define all the parameters before you can make statements.

I have a jab which I own and I built. VH rego. I do all my own maintenance. If it was a RAAus aircraft it would still need the same maintenance. If I didn’t do it myself I’d still have to pay someone to maintain it. So It is not cheaper to maintain an RAAus aircraft. It is The maintenance costs the same. If you CHOSE a GA aircraft that you can’t maintain yourself then it will cost more but that’s like saying if you go GA you must chose the expensive alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

AGain you have to define all the parameters before you can make statements.I have a jab which I own and I built. VH rego. I do all my own maintenance. If it was a RAAus aircraft it would still need the same maintenance. If I didn’t do it myself I’d still have to pay someone to maintain it. So It is not cheaper to maintain an RAAus aircraft. It is The maintenance costs the same. If you CHOSE a GA aircraft that you can’t maintain yourself then it will cost more but that’s like saying if you go GA you must chose the expensive alternatives.

Jaba

You are correct of course.

I was assuming that being a J230 that it would be a factory built, forgetting that J230's can also come as a kit aircraft.

Certainly for an owner built aircraft maintenance should be no dearer in either guise.