QANTAS to open flying academy

red750

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of disposable income - a direct result of rampant housing & cost-of-living increases - means most working people simply cannot afford luxuries like flying

and mobile phones, internet, cable TV, hi spec cars, air conditioning, greater and wasteful foodstuffs ... there's a myriad of reasons why a simple comparison to the 70's (whenever) simply doesn't work, it's just a different world now.

If you want to see why people can't afford flying, check the debt levels from then Vs now.

I bet you this is aimed directly at the Chinese market! They have already stated that they are in desperate need for pilots, so what better way to cash in! :)

That makes a lot of sense. QANTAS had previously announced they wanted to get a bigger share of the Chinese market, and the numbers of aircraft would be big.

This link, from BITRE (Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport, and Regional Economics) shows passenger movements and airport movements from 1985/86 to 2016/17

You can open the excel file, select the airport you want to study, and see for yourself the current state of GA at each of these airports.

You can see steady growth at Airports like:

Albany

Armidale

Charleville

Coffs Harbour

Longreach

Wagga Wagga

In each of these there is a market influence like tourism or business driving the figures

You can see the mining industry growth, and current turn down at Airports like:

Emerald

Karrathta

Port Hedland

Townsville

The fortunes of these places are driving by the mining industry and the government's policies.

Your can see another group which have a fluctuating curve; some years they have increased volume, others decreased volume.

And on the first page you can see the overall trends.

The big drop in the graphs, was around around 1999/10 to 2002/3.

https://bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoing/files/WebAirport_FY_1986-2017.xls

I bet you this is aimed directly at the Chinese market! They have already stated that they are in desperate need for pilots, so what better way to cash in! :)

Agree

When China Southern 'contracted' to the WA 'China Southern' flying school at Merredin/Jandakot to train its' cadets, (20 yrs ago), - the rumoured figure was USD120,000 per head to get them up to CPL +ATPL subjects + CIR + ME. Now, we have Qantas thinking they could do the same thing on a A$150,000 price. It does not seem to add up.

Yes, I'm sure that Asian and other o/s airlines would be very happy to fill a QF branded school - simply because of the 'name'. And if you were an Aussie student pilot, having passed the QF school standards would open doors for you outside of QF. Methinks that QF might find very few of the pilot output actually want to work for them in the end. If you've paid for your entire training, then you'd hardly want to sign a contract 'bonding' you to QF indefinitely.

It will be interesting.

Personally I cant see QF getting this sausage factory up and running, QF have a lot of issues behind the scenes other than very few pilots from GA coming up thru the ranks! Interesting times ahead for the Red Rat!!

this is from wikipedia, not sure how accurate it is TP, I'd love to see you data. Archerfield is the biggest GA airport in Se.QLD[ATTACH=full]54062[/ATTACH]

The data is direct from BITRE, and has a top ten calculator on the spreadsheet, so should match up with yours.

• 1 year later...