QANTAS to open flying academy

red750

Alan Joyce was on TV this morning saying QANTAS has recorded a before tax profit of $1.4 billion, and announced it will establish a new pilot training academy with the capacity to train up to 500 pilots a year. To be called the Qantas Group Pilot Academy, the school will open its doors in 2019 and is initially for direct entry cadets joining the Qantas Group, including Jetstar and QantasLink.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In-House training has the potential to affect the viability of the GA recreational and charter scene.

It would be interesting to know why they abandoned the flying schools around the country, and whether they will even start student pilots off on today's light aircraft.

It would be interesting to know why they abandoned the flying schools around the country, and whether they will even start student pilots off on today's light aircraft.

When you can qualify on the heavy metal without setting foot in the real thing, one has to wonder how long it will be until a suitable simulator for ab-initio training is introduced. Zero flight time PPL's anyone?!?

Nope, the actual words “in Australia” may have been absent but that it would be in Australia was not missing.

Hmmm, maybe, but I just went and read 5 reports, 4 say "Australian Region", and one says "Australian Regional".

So is the 5th one correct or did they misinterpret region, or vice versa?

In-House training has the potential to affect the viability of the GA recreational and charter scene.It would be interesting to know why they abandoned the flying schools around the country, and whether they will even start student pilots off on today's light aircraft.

There's nothing to abandon anymore, GA charter is all but dead, has been for sometime. The traditional route to heavy metal these days will cease to exist altogether in the not too distant future thanks to our wonderful CASA!!

With the MPL concept traditional training will be a thing of the past.

There's nothing to abandon anymore, GA charter is all but dead, has been for sometime. The traditional route to heavy metal these days will cease to exist altogether in the not too distant future thanks to our wonderful CASA!!With the MPL concept traditional training will be a thing of the past.

The graph shows aircraft movement per year at Moorabbin.

Year 1 is 1989, about the last of the heyday of the Schutt, Civil Flying Services era.

Years 2 onwards are the yearly figures from 2007

These show the impact of Jetstar/Virgin/Tiger etc. where flying by RPT then Hire Car was a fraction of the cost of Charter, and often faster, followed by a very stable set of years at around the current level.

Contrasting this is the explosive expansion of private and charter operations to the mining areas, where 45 passenger luxury coaches drive around town picking up passengers.

GA is alive and well, just in areas we don't normally see.

EXX0036A.JPG.6179e2a961a6e52c20f6b88261b98e9c.JPG

Wasn't this idea touted a few years ago by, perhaps, an Indian airline? The idea was that they would take their cadets and put them through many hours of simulator training on one particular model of aircraft. When they were deemed competent on that aircraft in the simulator, they would go out as co-pilots, flying in the real world under supervision.

The point is that they would only know how to drive one model. The simulator time would train them to deal with foreseeable emergencies. However, could a pilot taught in this manner fly the Gimli Glider ( Gimli Glider - Wikipedia )?

In the current circumstances it's probably a good initiative. I thought they had facilities at Tamworth already. They always tended to want people with tertiary maths and physics . It's been pretty obvious there will be a big demand for Pilots world wide and if something wasn't done here we could be importing pilots from overseas. Australian trained pilots used to have a well earned and deserved reputation which I hope they regain. Bit hard for some of the good existing schools, but there will still be opportunities for others, but they won't get into Qantas in large numbers. Expect some sort of bond to be involved in all this so the selected few won't do a runner. Watch whether they go with the "Multi Crew" Licence. I hope they don't. "Regional" in Qantas parlance means the Feeder Airlines (usually turboprop.). Nev

The graph shows aircraft movement per year at Moorabbin.Year 1 is 1989, about the last of the heyday of the Schutt, Civil Flying Services era.

These show the impact of Jetstar/Virgin/Tiger etc. where flying by RPT then Hire Car was a fraction of the cost of Charter, and often faster, followed by a very stable set of years at around the current level.

Contrasting this is the explosive expansion of private and charter operations to the mining areas, where 45 passenger luxury coaches drive around town picking up passengers.

GA is alive and well, just in areas we don't normally see.

[ATTACH=full]53994[/ATTACH]

GA alive and well? 40 yrs of driving planes for me mostly commercially, trust me GA is finished as we know it!!

• Agree 1

GA alive and well? 40 yrs of driving planes for me mostly commercially, trust me GA is finished as we know it!!

Could well be for your circumstances, but others have been able to move and adapt to current demand.

The graph shows aircraft movement per year at Moorabbin.Year 1 is 1989, about the last of the heyday of the Schutt, Civil Flying Services era.

contrast that with the population growth, nearly 9M more people across that graph and still a decline

1989 16.8M

2007 20.8M

2016 24.13M

contrast that with the population growth, nearly 9M more people across that graph and still a decline1989 16.8M

2007 20.8M

2016 24.13M

Two things:

1. The claim was GA is finished as we know it; just a simple check of Moorabbin movements shows stability of movements. If you want to add SE Melbourne’s population increase, that line will go down slightly, however;

2 Moorabbin would be getting almost none of the new mining income. A stand alone terminal was built for Bass Strait commercial helicopters, and traffic has increased massively at Queensand and WA mining markets, so a total Australian GA graph may in fact be going up.

• Caution 1

Gold rush mentality[ATTACH=full]54002[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]54003[/ATTACH]

The Red Rat love this sort of thing, it's cunning tactics, lots of councils will be falling over themselves to hand out free public funds to have them operate there!!

The text of the press release from Qantas is quite clear to me.

I didn't read it, I was reading news reports. Apparently they can't read.

The Press Release says "likely" btw, that's still not a definitive.

... how much is it willing to commit to developing the pool of people who ensure that the planes are fit to fly?

A close friend of a close friend who works that area for Q was in China last year scouting possible service places, told my friend "No way, ever". Apparently not impressed, putting it very kindly.

Not exactly what I want to hear seeing as I fly nationally occasionally.