zenith stol landing and .................

Peter (fallowdeer) on here was going to take me for a flight in his Sav when I was over there a couple of weeks ago. Was going to be doing some gravel bar landings in the local river but the wind was going to be like that worse luck the day I had free there. 36knots is not a uncommon wind speed there

I'm just amazed he even got it down in one piece. Unstabilised approach, anyone? It's not just the wind speed, it's the erratic gusts with it.

Was he trying to turn around, right after he landed? That makes no sense to me.

Lots!

Approach was ok given the windThis was a stol comp so landing with the brakes on

Left wheel first drags left

Land it like a tail dragger it will do the tail dragger thing

Yeah that approach would be to be expected in gusty winds.

Easy to overanalyse things like this but that is how we learn I guess. Did he have left Aileron held in as well or is that just made to look that way due to flaperons with flap set?

As for rudder I only have a small screen so can't really tell what it is doing until after he is well around to the left where you can see left rudder input BUT that could entirely be because of the cockpit angle at that time. A bigger screen may make the rudder input clearer earlier on.

Yeah that approach would be to be expected in gusty winds.Easy to overanalyse things like this but that is how we learn I guess. Did he have left Aileron held in as well or is that just made to look that way due to flaperons with flap set?

As for rudder I only have a small screen so can't really tell what it is doing until after he is well around to the left where you can see left rudder input BUT that could entirely be because of the cockpit angle at that time. A bigger screen may make the rudder input clearer earlier on.

I am not the world's greatest pilot only about 1500 hrs

It's all about the margin

Airspeed

Fuel

Weather

Angle of attack

Strip length

Yeah definetely just the wind lifting the right wing, as the plane has been pushed left the nosewheel has been forced to turn left with the weight on it, the nose wheel is directly linked to the rudder pedals, turning the rudder with it. Pilot has done a remarkable job, he has found the cross wind limitations there.

I’m a real wuss when it comes to wind in my 701. I was taxying to the fuel bowser one day in a strong headwind and it wanted to lift off at around 10kts ground speed. Don’t believe I’m skilled enough to handle almost vertical takeoff and landing and for sure that amount of crosswind! Not sure either how one can make a stable approach in unstable air?

20 knots ?I wonder if its a rotor from the 2nd red truck ......... further upwind

It is not healthy to have trucks like this close to the landing strip. They should be 20-30 metres further away at least.

Thats more than 20kts..its at least 30 was like that and worse a few weeks ago when I was over there

New Zealand has the Tasman Sea to the West and the Pacific Ocean to the East. This has an effect on the weather, and in particular the wind. More than 95% of people who live in New Zealand are less than 50 km from the coast so virtually everyone is subject to wind. This country is known as The Land of the Long White Cloud. It could also be named The Land of the Frequent Wind.