Warbirds over Wanaka Runway Collision.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory the pilot should have identified that the runway was clear of obstacles on final. By the time he got to the flare stage he could not see a thing in front of him. The Yak 3 has a very low and narrow canopy. The reality though is that at an airshow like Wanaka all sorts of paraphernalia abound near the sides of the runways like Military vehicles, pyrotechnics setup, camera crews, crash vehicles, paramedics etc and so it is likely he thought the cherry picker was further away. He passes several items and people off to the side before impact.

I expect the lift was waiting to access the ferris wheel. thrown_out.gif.7fbb72ed7fd7195fcf0bc8f5fa5c9c73.gif. It beggars belief they could place it there, given the type of aircraft likely to use the grass. Safety is meant to accout for likely possible outcomes esp at a airshow. Reminds me of the Jules Bianchi death in F1.

Yes pilot may be at fault for deviation of straight ahead, but this is stupidity, might as well have landmines to punish mistakes.

The most relevant fact of all is that it seems that the aircraft was not landed on a recognised vector. There is a grass vector parallel to the sealed runway, obviously with a space between. It appears that the aircraft was landed in between the grass vector and the sealed runway.

IMG_0225.PNG.5908434988c1506f7d22fb2f9f2a1f3a.PNG

I notice there are no gable markers dilineating the perimeter of sealed strip, whereas the grass strip does. Just where does the width of the sealed airstrip finish? However I note there are 'white crosses' not sure how clear they are from the pilots view.

Not a good way to start the show, glad no one was injured.

Evans Head, Feb this year. Zoom in to see the speed record claimed.Yakovlev Yak-3 - Wikipedia

The only issue here is that this radial version was manufactured in 2002 with a Pratt & Whitney R1830 radial so hardly a WW2 warbird. The original Russian radial engined version was only produced as a prototype & never entered production as it was completed after the end of the war.

The only issue here is that this radial version was manufactured in 2002 with a Pratt & Whitney R1830 radial so hardly a WW2 warbird. The original Russian radial engined version was only produced as a prototype & never entered production as it was completed after the end of the war.

Yes, KG, I believe that Yak 3 prototype with the Russian radial had an awesome supercharger and went over 450mph.After the USSR collapsed, they had no income, so the old jigs were dusted off and twenty odd Yak fighters were built for foreign buyers. Perhaps the one with the P&W radial could be considered a close replica of an awesome WWII prototype.

i think it's idiocy that these guys dont fit a forward camera to see whats in front of them on the ground.

Maybe BUT I wonder if you could end up increasing RLOC incidents due to looking at a screen and losing, even if for a second or two, that peripheral view?

Maybe BUT I wonder if you could end up increasing RLOC incidents due to looking at a screen and losing, even if for a second or two, that peripheral view?

No different to looking at your rear view mirror while you're driving.