Warbirds over Wanaka Runway Collision.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! If I had posted that in the U.S. I would've been accused of all sorts of Politically Correct crimes!

As far as cherry picking, she was 22 & probably (since I personally don't know but wish I did) lost hers eons ago.

Regarding the photo, that was one of the luckiest I ever took. He flashed over at about 45 to 50 mph & was "there" for a millisecond! Luck....pure & simple. No, I'm not bragging. Just facts.

Thanks guys! If I had posted that in the U.S. I would've been accused of all sorts of Politically Correct crimes!As far as cherry picking, she was 22 & probably (since I personally don't know but wish I did) lost hers eons ago.

I posted the funny to Dazza's comments because I thought he was referring to the Yak pilot and not Callahan.I think Bex's idea is fine, but there is no reason to get personal about Callahan's response as he was just stating it may not work with older eyes. I would go one step further and say even younger eyes may not adjust well; there are young people who have poor eyesight and, like everything physiological, even if they don't wear glasses (and don't need to), there will be differences in muscle reaction/strength, etc, which means for some people, there will be a greater impact and need to refocus than others.

So, it really comes down to, if it works for you and it will make you safer (and, of course, it is legal), go ahead, install a camera and use it. For those where it would compromise safety, then don't.. Simples.

Correct I was referring to the pilot.

Jerry,Apologies for dragging things out again but explain to me please, how is a camera's viewfinder in the cockpit going to help anything during a landing like the Yaks?

Bex thinks I'm bragging when I speak of my experience but if he doesn't understand my background, he'll think I'm full of s---. Or maybe he'll think that either way.

But here's my two cents on the camera idea. On final, a Yak, or Mustang or AT-802 will all have their noses in a slightly downward position allowing easy viewing of the entire length of intended landing area before the flare begins.

A camera, to me, would be nothing but a distraction to vision & aircraft operation during a critical time and an additional danger as the eyes have to focus near to far all the way during landing & rollout. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. Sure, an obstacle, such a a vehicle driven by a crazed lunatic could suddenly appear but such is life.

But with respect to the camera idea, maybe I'm missing something?....besides a younger age. Don't misinterpret my intentions here as did young Bex. I mean no offense. And no, I don't know it all. I'm just a survivor as are many of the older pilots here.

Over & Back by Wild Bill Callahan...on Amazon. You can read about 35 pages for free. No, I'm not trying to sell a book but it'll tell you from whence I came.

This has to go into extra innings Aussies. Wait! Grandmaw calling! Nap time.

I haven't flown a spit or an AT-802, but I have a few hours in a Yak 52...

Would I use a camera and screen (viewfinder in the traditional sense isn't really the right phrase with today's lens/camera and display technology)? Probably not, But for those who have taken the time to get used to it in the cockpit and have trained their brain acccordingly may find it better - for the late flare (possibly), rollout and taxi (probably), depending in the lens angle, focal length, picture clarity and depth of field representation (I can't remember all the jargon terms for these). For the final approach where the mk 1 eyeballs provide the requisite picture in a nose down attitude, I would also suggest the camera is superfluous.

Best..

J

I'm with Callahan regarding the usefulness of a camera.

I thought I would be clever and mount a set of ultra sonic detectors on my undercarriage to measure the distance I am from the ground during the flair.

An inexpensive exercise, just get a set of Reversing Sensors off of Ebay, fit the sensors to the undercarriage and have the visual display in the cockpit.

I mounted the display on the bottom of the canopy, so it sits on top of the dashboard and in my direct forward vision against a black background formed by the black material on the upper dash and the black canopy surround, and has 2 displays. One is a set of LEDS that come in

from both sides and go through a Green, Orange and Red scale to indicate closeness to the ground, and the second is a digital readout of actual distance from the ground from 0 - 3m (Stands out like Doggies thingo's)

In practice, and after roughly 100 of landings, I am still unable shift my concentration from flaring and landing, and shift focus from what's going on outside, to what's going on inside and back outside again, even though it's right in front of me, and in theory would only take seconds to do.

Guest Guest
I'm with Callahan regarding the usefulness of a camera.I thought I would be clever and mount a set of ultra sonic detectors on my undercarriage to measure the distance I am from the ground during the flair.

An inexpensive exercise, just get a set of Reversing Sensors off of Ebay, fit the sensors to the undercarriage and have the visual display in the cockpit.

I mounted the display on the bottom of the canopy, so it sits on top of the dashboard and in my direct forward vision against a black background formed by the black material on the upper dash and the black canopy surround, and has 2 displays. One is a set of LEDS that come in

from both sides and go through a Green, Orange and Red scale to indicate closeness to the ground, and the second is a digital readout of actual distance from the ground from 0 - 3m (Stands out like Doggies thingo's)

In practice, and after roughly 100 of landings, I am still unable shift my concentration from flaring and landing, and shift focus from what's going on outside, to what's going on inside and back outside again, even though it's right in front of me, and in theory would only take seconds to do.

I can't believe you even bothered with all that? What ever happened with using just skill?

Guest Guest
Ron I had the same idea but have been too lazy to try it and now I won’t! Seems such an obvious good idea, shame it doesn’t translate into application.

My a/c I bought recently has a camera fitted below, total wank! I wouldn't waste my time fitting one or using one!!

I have done a few taildragger landings, but not Yack or other U beut stuff.

I wouldn't want to se a camera in the final stages of landing, the flare or even rollout. So much depends upon binocular vision to judge distance that I feel a camera would be a sure fire stuff up machine.

When I flare I am looking at both sides of the strip with peripheral vision and it works well, but if I changed over to a little screen, it would be a massive transition, with no way of gauging distance.

It would be good to try it, but after looking at videos on line, I certainlywouldn't want to rely on it.

My a/c I bought recently has a camera fitted below, total wank! I wouldn't waste my time fitting one or using one!!

Gees Gravity you are a real legend aren’t you:blah blah:085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif085_blah_blah.gif.3d1174a819f59a095b31801fde5cee65.gif

Thanks Jerry!

Nice to do some back & forth talk with a sensible guy & not be accused of being a braggert or a Grandpa.... though I do like Bex's new name for me....Granddad!

Russkies had some great aircraft during the latter stages of WW II. The Sturmovich was another one, nicknamed the Flying Tank. Heavily armored for ground attack. If any of you guys like Eastern Front fighting like me look up Hans Ulrich Rudell, Stuka pilot on Amazon. Knocked out 515 Russkie tanks!

I haven't flown a spit or an AT-802, but I have a few hours in a Yak 52...Would I use a camera and screen (viewfinder in the traditional sense isn't really the right phrase with today's lens/camera and display technology)? Probably not, But for those who have taken the time to get used to it in the cockpit and have trained their brain acccordingly may find it better - for the late flare (possibly), rollout and taxi (probably), depending in the lens angle, focal length, picture clarity and depth of field representation (I can't remember all the jargon terms for these). For the final approach where the mk 1 eyeballs provide the requisite picture in a nose down attitude, I would also suggest the camera is superfluous.

Best..

J

Thanks

Some personal hostility there perhaps?

I accidentally gave your antagonist a Like. Wish I could delete it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron,

Thank you for that insightful & supportive response to my humble observation. Gravity, he was just making a point. But I agree with you about skill. Maybe practice would be a better word. Thanks to you both!

Johmn or Johnm,

Covered both bases....too lazy to go back up & check. Thank you for the Olive Branch! Very nice gesture!

My fault, one of many, is that I'm opinionated. I apologize for it. Some say I'm crazy. Some say I'm stupid. Some say I'm an ass. At times, I'm all three at once.

But one thing I am is honest. One Lister recently called me a tool which, I assume, is Aussie shorthand for fool. I can be that too with some of the crazy s--- I say & do.

So, on my soon-to-be grave, I'm going to have emblazoned in granite: "He was all of the above but he was honest."

Apologies to all, even the ones who berate me in type. At times, I deserve it.

Now go FLY! We're all brothers & sisters up there!

Callahan in this context a tool is a male organ. To say someone is being a tool is less severe than saying they are a fool. A more serious criticism is to call them a total tool, which is why we all laughed when a hardware company of that name (presumably American) established stores all around Australia. I think Bla82 was just dicking around in his response to Gravity.

Keep up the good work, I enjoy your posts!

Big problem with the cameras is depth perception. i.e., how far ahead is the thing on the video screen or is that thing to the side of your direction of travel close or far to the side. To me, spending time focused on a video screen trying to define what your looking at is a recipe for disaster.

I think Sirius and a few others now offer a FLIR camera as an option. One benefit of a FLIR camera in the day taxi situation is when heading nearly at the early/late sun (Not directly at as the screen goes blank) and being blinded by the sun the FLIR will show an oncoming aircraft taxiing ahead as a heat blob. One way to lesson the side depth perception problem is to taxi with the camera aligned with either the centre taxi lines or the edge of the taxiway bitumen, i.e., direction positioning yourself along things that you know the rough diamensions off.

I recall reading in a Yank bush pilots forum where one of the members had done some FLIR landing work with the USAF many years ago. If I remember correctly, apparently the idea was to see if they could use the aircrafts weapons FLIR as a de facto night visual landing aid. They found in testing that depth perception on approach were a big issue and stopped the testing after pranging a jet.

Well said Binhgi!

Would you mind posting that bush pilot's forum you were referring to? I'll try typing it in too. If anyone is interested, I have a new video out on YouTube titled "Bush Pilot Sudan." Warning - Language. Twin Otter. Some funny parts. 37 minutes.

Big problem with the cameras is depth perception. i.e., how far ahead is the thing on the video screen or is that thing to the side of your direction of travel close or far to the side. To me, spending time focused on a video screen trying to define what your looking at is a recipe for disaster.I think Sirius and a few others now offer a FLIR camera as an option. One benefit of a FLIR camera in the day taxi situation is when heading nearly at the early/late sun (Not directly at as the screen goes blank) and being blinded by the sun the FLIR will show an oncoming aircraft taxiing ahead as a heat blob. One way to lesson the side depth perception problem is to taxi with the camera aligned with either the centre taxi lines or the edge of the taxiway bitumen, i.e., direction positioning yourself along things that you know the rough diamensions off.I recall reading in a Yank bush pilots forum where one of the members had done some FLIR landing work with the USAF many years ago. If I remember correctly, apparently the idea was to see if they could use the aircrafts weapons FLIR as a de facto night visual landing aid. They found in testing that depth perception on approach were a big issue and stopped the testing after pranging a jet.

That should be the link to the video. If you see a line up of pretty girls & a couple of guys, that be it. If you have ear buds or headset, I recommend using them. I spent weeks getting the music beat synched with video & stills.

Well said Binhgi!Would you mind posting that bush pilot's forum you were referring to? I'll try typing it in too...

It were a Husky related forum.

I've had a google look-see for the forum and no find. I've googled the "Husky Forum" though I think it were called the "Husky listserv" from memory. If no one else here knows of it I will dig out my old desk top computer from storage that has the link on it.