Great Barrier Reef destroyed by climate... or not.

Yep, when he see's some evidence of integrity..."...On Friday 4 May (2018), AMP announced, the appointment of climate change-denying former Commonwealth Bank CEO and Future Fund Chairman David Murray as its new chairman,...

...In an October 2013 interview on the ABC Lateline program, Murray said “the climate problem is severely was overstated” and, when asked what it would take to convince him of the science, he replied: “when I see some evidence of integrity among the scientists themselves”..."

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/05/07/when-will-insurance-executives-realise-climate-advocates-understand-insurance-better-than-they-do/

Was this a direct quote? Aside from the dodgy grammar, I was amused to see a banker question the integrity of scientists.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like bingi is getting some a lot more value out of this than anyone else, reading the crackpots, ignoring facts, reading more crackpot theories, ignoring facts 

I have to admit to being a bit ghoulish and just enjoying the train wreck. For instance there  used to be a guy at work who didn’t just believe no one had been to the moon but that no one had been into space! He also believed his stock standard Suzuki Swift could do a ten second quarter mile. There was no way you could ever change his mind- when you have a different view to almost everyone else then that’s not a conspiracy, that’s schizophrenia. Or perhaps he was a genius. but why would you want to change his mind? It was heaps of fun!

but I should remember why I joined this forum. Yesterday for instance me and my girlfriend started getting the garage ready to build my kit plane  

Was this a direct quote? Aside from the dodgy grammar, I was amused to see a banker question the integrity of scientists.

No, not a direct quote as such. The WUWT post linked to and took it from here - https://reneweconomy.com.au/amp-forges-new-path-appointing-climate-denier-chairman-31232/

From renewecon - "...On Friday 4 May, AMP announced the appointment of climate change-denying former Commonwealth Bank CEO and Future Fund Chairman David Murray as its new chairman..."

sweet what are you building?

I put a deposit on a Skyreach Bushcat kit

ordered the taul dragger version but have but have never flown taildragger so I went for a fly in an Aeronca Chief and thought “yeah I am so this!” And ordered the tail dragger. Pity the kit is the same. Seeing as there are less parts you’d think it would be cheaper  

... I was amused to see a banker question the integrity of scientists.

I just noticed, there is more...

"...Mr Murray, who chaired the Federal Government's inquiry into the financial system, was appointed AMP chairman on Friday and will start on or before July 1..."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-07/david-murray-warns-it-will-take-years-to-restore-amp-reputation/9734048

the Australian Bushcat distributor put his kit together in 17 days, so it should be a straight forward build

Yeah, granted they had at least two of them working non stop but it is definitely one of the reasons I went for this particular kit- I don't want to end up with something filling up my garage for the next six years 

Test flew with the distributor and I was most impressed. Lovely to fly, but still 'rag and tube'. It's like a 'Super Drifter'! I was also impressed with the construction manual. 

Now for the wait. Coming from Sert Efrica it will take about 3 months to get here...

You need a second pair of hands when working with some aircraft bits and pieces, even just having someone to pass you the right sized spanner when you are inside a fuselage is a big time saver.

The Bushcat shows how well tube and fabric when using modern design and manufacturing technologies is capable of. 

You need a second pair of hands when working with some aircraft bits and pieces, even just having someone to pass you the right sized spanner when you are inside a fuselage is a big time saver.The Bushcat shows how well tube and fabric when using modern design and manufacturing technologies is capable of. 

My girlfriend is a wonder for that. For instance she replaced a damaged plug on an extension lead we were using in my garage. She does get a bit gung ho with power screwdrivers though. I told her- you are not coming near my plane with power tools 

Heh, I wonder where the screams of abuse are towards coral bleaching denier Valerie Taylor.... :scratchinghead:  

I put up the comments of Valerie Taylor and it sends a few of the eco-loon posters here off on a subject changing ga-ga mode.. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif  

Interview with Valerie Taylor………….diver, shark expert, conservationist

Published in The Australian, May14, 2016

"...What’s your take on the bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef?

In 1965 we went from one end of the reef to the other, over six months, and we found bleaching then. In the ’70s we went back and you’d never know it had happened..."

As an aside, Taylor knows Dick Smith. Smith seems to have an opinion about everything, and gets it mentioned in the media, so where are his comments about the current reef hysteria.....

Valerie Taylor………….diver, shark expert, conservationist

so you will admit, not qualified to make any sort of judgement. just an opinion and observations that agree with yours? 

My girlfriend is a wonder for that. For instance she replaced a damaged plug on an extension lead we were using in my garage. She does get a bit gung ho with power screwdrivers though. I told her- you are not coming near my plane with power tools 

kit planes are still big projects, you'll find all sorts of new things as you work your way through the build.

Octave & FT... there's no point arguing with this clown.  He probably doesn't even believe what he's saying, he's just after a response.  Just a troll.  I'm ignoring this thread and every ongoing post of his, he's not worth my time.

I think he gets off on being obnoxious but is actually irrelevant, preaching his gospel to himself. I just added him to my ignore list, now this thread is like a breath of fresh air.

I think he gets off on being obnoxious but is actually irrelevant, preaching his gospel to himself. I just added him to my ignore list, now this thread is like a breath of fresh air.

So presenting evidence of coral bleaching going back hundreds of years is obnoxious..... wow, the Algorian force is strong with you. Listen not to the Heritic or ye may be afflicted with common sense...bye bye...  002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Meanwhile, back with the big heretical villain of the piece...

"...Ridd has challenged the findings of several papers on coral and the Great Barrier Reef. 

One paper claims there has been a 15 per cent decline in calcification rate between 1990 and 2005. 

But Ridd’s quality assurance work claims the paper has two major flaws. 

The first is an assumption that corals grow at the same rate, no matter what their size or age. 

The second shortcoming is measurement errors in the last coral band of each core. 

Ridd claims when the errors are removed the fall in the calcification rate after 1990 disappears..."

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/1625_australian.pdf

(Damn thing wont format smaller)

What you are failing to see is that what this is is an unending game of poker where you never run out of cards and nothing seems to trump anything. But I’ll join in and see your Peter Ridd and raise you a David Attenborough:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/great-barrier-reef-will-be-dead-by-2100-says-david-attenboroughs-blue-planet-ii-20171211-h026zv.html

And the cause of this? Carbon dioxide. The more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, the more acidic the ocean becomes," said Attenborough, raising the twin threat - acidification, along with warmer oceans - that is being triggered by changing the chemistry of the atmosphere.

What you are failing to see is that what this is is an unending game of poker where you never run out of cards and nothing seems to trump anything. But I’ll join in and see your Peter Ridd and raise you a David Attenborough:...

Is 'joker' Attenborough talking of his personal experiences on the GBR, or is he just regurgitating what's been told to him ?

He first dived the Great Barrier Reef in the 1950's

OK. So, Attenbough is just another of the millions of people who have dived a spot on the reef. I've dived a coral reef. In 1965 Valerie Taylor dove along the entire reef...

It became clear several pages ago that this subject has no relevance to recreational flying.

A proposed airfield/airport at the Adani mine site was dragged in as an excuse.

This airport would be located approximately directly south of Charters Towers and west of Moranbah

On Google Maps that scales out to just over 300 kilometres from the COAST, let alone the reef.

If people want to spout BS and theories about the environment, that's up to them, but this proposed airport is not going to affect the reef.

WDAdaniMine.JPG.1a2ec6ead67d51367b7a988924c66b38.JPG

It is not directly about the Reef, it is that the airport is for the Adani coal mine which the green swampies are trying to stop because burning coal causes release of CO2 into the atmosphere which cause "global warming" or "climate change" (whichever term you prefer or is convenient for your argument at the time). "Warming" will cause the coral to die, allegedly, even though there is a considerable water temperature gradient from south to north over the extent of the Reef.

The current reef has only been there for 20,000 years max since the end of the last ice age, as where the reef is now was about 300 to 400 feet above sea level then when the water was locked in thick sheets of ice, mainly in the northern hemisphere.

A friend of mine flew the amphib Beavers out of Airlie Beach for years, taking tourists out to go snorkelling (10,000 water landings in the aircraft). He was also Captain of a 200 person tourist boat after that, for several more years. He's seen plenty of the Reef and reckons parts bleach every year and every year it recovers.

As for David Attenborough, I think he looked at what happened to David Bellamy, the other TV naturalist. When Bellamy spoke out that he thought the CO2 caused warming was a load of cobblers the BBC canned his programs.

BTW, stopping or restricting the human caused CO2 emissions is exactly equivalent to stopping or restricting the human use of fire. Good luck!

Mike,

I think most of us (not just greenie swampys) strongly resent being collectively screwed over financially by a foreign business that seems to have a very dodgy track record and seems to have lied or at least greatly exaggerated the job creation and long term economic benefit of their proposed coal mine.