Fraser Coast (Hervey Bay & Maryborough) landing frees

snarf007

Just got the email, the rumours were true. Council is introducing landing fees for all users (recreational aircraft included) at Hervey Bay and Maryborough.

Seems like they are following in the footsteps of Gympie. Bundaberg beware, you’re next.....

Bundy gets quite a lot of light aircraft movements as far as I can see, whereas Gladstone gets very little because it has landing fees.

Bundy is worth going to in my opinion and Gladstone is pretty hopeless as a town (city). It is also the home of jabiru and that must bring some money to the city.

• Agree 2

May not yet happen. I believe there is court action by a few local pilots.

Court action? That would be expensive I would think. The aero club has just held a wings and wheels there so I expect the council saw a missed opportunity to collect both on landing fees plus parking fees. Will stop a few people flying in if it goes ahead. Will cost a bit to fly in and park up airside for the next wings and wheels. The council may make some money out of the warbirds though. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif No doubt the council should charge the cars for parking too. In fact that would make them more money than the landing fees 082_scooter.gif.e6a62d295b0b59b8276038871473d864.gif

• Agree 1

Court action? That would be expensive I would think. The aero club has just held a wings and wheels there so I expect the council saw a missed opportunity to collect both on landing fees plus parking fees. Will stop a few people flying in if it goes ahead. Will cost a bit to fly in and park up airside for the next wings and wheels. The council may make some money out of the warbirds though. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif No doubt the council should charge the cars for parking too. In fact that would make them more money than the landing fees 082_scooter.gif.e6a62d295b0b59b8276038871473d864.gif

The councils are not smart. The bean counters get to and have a look at the statistics of how many aircraft land there and multiply a proposed landing fee and that is the total revenue...BUT....When all the costings and collecting process is put in place only half the planes turn up, their revenue scheme has fallen apart. The same when water meters were implemented they knew much water was being used.

KP..

The Townsville and Rockhampton councils planned to give $18.5 million each to build an airstrip in another shire to support a mine. Zero use to ratepayers with restricted use as the trend is with mine controlled airports these days.

Currently on hold.

But we continue to vote these waste of space drongos in.

• Like 2

The councils are not smart. The bean counters get to and have a look at the statistics of how many aircraft land there and multiply a proposed landing fee and that is the total revenue.....

Collection is generally contracted out and the council may only get a third of the actual fee charged.

• Like 1

Cost-of-Recovery is never considered by the business experts in local government.

Try this example: Pilot 'Smith' incurs landing fee of $11, which requires an invoice to be raised and sent by snail mail, email or text - if they can identify the owner. Then, a 'reminder' is sent again the following month. Then, the 3rd invoice contains a threat of legal recovery. I know that it probably costs $20+ to raise and send an invoice, even in a super efficient organisation - which most airport owners are not! So, after 3 months, pilot 'Smith' pays the account. The airport owner loses money on the exercise, and for what reason? They refuse to even consider the cost.

Folks, it's all about showing those fat cat aircraft owners that they can't use up our airport! It's plain, straight green eyed envy of the kind that seems to drive many political decisions these days.

happy days,

• Agree 6

You should see/count how many of the new (approved) airpark lots have been sold in Maryborough over the last few years.........'0'. Maybe that was how Council 'was' hoping to get some coin but isn't. And hanger lot leasing and associated costs are quite prohibitive too - the thing is the airport including Hervey Bay are both very short on hangerage! As a result there is no enthusiasm or incentive to build any with earnings potential. Still waiting for the so called approved fuel installation too which is happening by the end of this month??

We all know only 2 things are certain in life- death and taxes - not necessarily in that order.

The future is always uncertain, makes it hard to plan ahead doesn't it ....Rant off......

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another victim of the true cancer on GA...Avdata.

They "sell" their collection of fees to local Council's on the basis of "we do all the work and just send you a cheque" and local Council's see an opportunity for easy money.

I was told Avdata was set up by an ex-CASA employee - hence CASA continue to breach our privacy and release our information publicy for Avdata to leech money off us....not sure if it's true, but seems to make some sense.

• 4 weeks later...
AVGAS is now available at Maryborough - credit card.

I actually had a look at Maryborough airport this week and it had no welcome feel about it, so what is the draw card.?

With all those fees and charges how well will fuel sails go.

KP

I actually had a look at Maryborough airport this week and it had no welcome feel about it, so what is the draw card.?With all those fees and charges how well will fuel sails go.

KP

Yep I was in there this weekend. I am not aware of the fees and charges but I dont think I’ve seen a similar facility more deserted ... maybe the availability of Avgas will change things. Lots of potential?

Yep I was in there this weekend. I am not aware of the fees and charges but I dont think I’ve seen a similar facility more deserted ... maybe the availability of Avgas will change things. Lots of potential?

I stopped there last year on my way to Orchid Beach as my PAX needed an urgent stop and couldn’t wait to Orchid beach and as I didn’t have an ASIC card last year only flying RAA I didnt want to stop in H’Bay. It was very deserted but a nice big runway.

Isn't that a description of most airports nowadays.

I went to Thangool a few months ago for fuel, on my way further West. Couldn't get fuel, supposedly because of a Telstra fault. I wasn't charged a landing fee, which was a pleasant surprise as I have been charged in the past. I would have refused to pay anyway as the reason for my stopping was to get unavailable fuel.

Cost-of-Recovery is never considered by the business experts in local government.Try this example: Pilot 'Smith' incurs landing fee of $11, which requires an invoice to be raised and sent by snail mail, email or text - if they can identify the owner. Then, a 'reminder' is sent again the following month. Then, the 3rd invoice contains a threat of legal recovery. I know that it probably costs $20+ to raise and send an invoice, even in a super efficient organisation - which most airport owners are not! So, after 3 months, pilot 'Smith' pays the account. The airport owner loses money on the exercise, and for what reason? They refuse to even consider the cost.

Folks, it's all about showing those fat cat aircraft owners that they can't use up our airport! It's plain, straight green eyed envy of the kind that seems to drive many political decisions these days.

happy days,

Then the fees drive pilots and Aviation activities away , next step then is they use the dwindling usage figures to there advantage , to sell their agenda to the rate payers that it would not be such a loss if it was sold to Developers , turning it into a so called gain for the Council .. just you watch

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

No landing fees at Gympie yet and we do have MoGas , AvGas and toilets bring your credit card. p.s. you wont need it for the toilets we dont charge yet. you can also get a free cuppa at the clubhouse

Thanks for the invite - Gympie and Monduran are on my to-do list.

"MARYBOROUGH WILL BE BACK ON THE MAP."

Hi Ironpot.  My trike lives at YMYB, and I try to fly weekly.  The fuel was very recently recommissioned and is yet to be discovered by many pilots.  (Only Avgas unfortunately).     Facilities also include free camping area at the airport, toilets next to the exit entry gate, a takeaway shop across the road, and a short walk to town.  Mogas is just up the road at BP.   Taxis are available too of course.

I have recently became our Aeroclub Club Captain, and am in charge of advising members of fly-ins and activities to entertain our aviating passions.  An idea I am currently hatching is an annual long weekend (Labour weekend?) camping fly-in to YMYB, where you can camp 1 or 2 days, fly the area around Fraser etc, and enjoy others company.  The aero club may even be keen to cater a dinner evening and cooked breakfast.  Thoughts and comments anyone? 

As a recreational pilot, I have not yet received a landing fee, but GA may be different.

See map attached for more info.

1904334523_YMYBandLocale.thumb.jpg.1f1109e48a891efe2b5cf2288cc4fb08.jpg

"MARYBOROUGH WILL BE BACK ON THE MAP."

Hi Ironpot.  My trike lives at YMYB, and I try to fly weekly.  The fuel was very recently recommissioned and is yet to be discovered by many pilots.  (Only Avgas unfortunately).     Facilities also include free camping area at the airport, toilets next to the exit entry gate, a takeaway shop across the road, and a short walk to town.  Mogas is just up the road at BP.   Taxis are available too of course.

I have recently became our Aeroclub Club Captain, and am in charge of advising members of fly-ins and activities to entertain our aviating passions.  An idea I am currently hatching is an annual long weekend (Labour weekend?) camping fly-in to YMYB, where you can camp 1 or 2 days, fly the area around Fraser etc, and enjoy others company.  The aero club may even be keen to cater a dinner evening and cooked breakfast.  Thoughts and comments anyone? 

As a recreational pilot, I have not yet received a landing fee, but GA may be different.

See map attached for more info.

[ATTACH]37791[/ATTACH]

I wasn’t complaining.  Movement fee was fair. I agree, its a terrific set up and well worth visiting. We stayed in town - good food and lots of character.