Finally, the new site is running

Admin

Hi All

After a very turbulent few months the new Recreational Flying site is up and running under a new name Aircraft Pilots and new software IPS. I believe that all the major bugs have been ironed out and the look and feel is now very similar to the old Xenforo site.

There are many features that are yet to be turned on but let's have the site settle first. There is a developer standing by for anything that needs tinkering with to ensure you are comfortable with the site and any changes that are needed to make sure the site is a pleasure to use and very user friendly. There are a couple of minor things still to do which couldn't be done till now (eg the Likes System) which will get working properly within the next 24hrs.

A lot of work has gone into making the site look and feel like the old Xenforo site and I am very pleased with the way the site looks, the blues, the use of links, the menu system and more so I hope you like its new modern and fresh approach BUT as always PLEASE add anything in this thread that you would like to see done...as I said I have a developer standing by for that very reason and he has been paid upfront to ensure he will quickly get on to it. His name is Ahmed and I hope you welcome him to the site...thanks for your time and understanding and let's get going discussing everything we want to in aviation.

Thanks @robinsm I really believe that the work that has been done to get everything right, looking good with minimal change and the fixing of bugs has resulted in an extremely nice site that now has all the makings and capability of one all mighty incredible resource for all aviators. One thing that is now an incredible advantage is that I have Ahmed laying in wait to make sure any issue/bug/enhancement is fixed/done as soon as possible thus eliminating any potential of any kind of reverting back.

• Like 1

Hey;

First of all, thanks Ian for this nice introduction, truly appreciate it.

Secondly, I'd praise all efforts that have been exerted by every one here to keep this website up...

So, This is Ahmed Zayed, a php developer, based on Egypt. I'm here now to totally support aircraftpilots.com [Technical Support Developer].

Let's focus our discussion here on 2 basic points:

1. What is going wrong after this recent move-on.

2. What would you like to have in AircraftPilots.

As Ian said, The next step is to migrate the old reactions into the current platform... This is supposed to be completed within the next 24 hours (It will be processed silently).

I'll be standing by the topic and getting immediate notifications about any "Bugs" or "Requests".

Please forgive me for not being active for other community sections.

Regards;

Ahmed

• Like 4

The Upload File button is missing. You can link to a URL but only upload your own file if you upload it elsewhere and link to it.

FIXED

The sticky menu across the top is also missing.

FIXED

I have been asked by a couple of users "How do I add an attachment to a post/thread"? Well it really is very simple but also far more powerful that before.

You can either:

1. Simply click the "Choose files" link just below where you type your post and your windows file browser opens up so you can simply double click a picture file (like before),

1.jpg.c4f4b7d6e650f3aece4d2008915914f0.jpg

2. You can also click a picture file on your PC in your windows file browser but hold the mouse button down and drag the picture file to the area where you are typing your post,

3. Two more ways to add a picture or file is to Click the "Insert other media" button on the right just below where you are typing your post and select either:

a. "Insert an existing attachment" where a popup window allows you to select pictures/files from any of your other posts or from the photo gallery or even the Downloads section

b. "Insert an image from a URL" where you can enter or paste a location of a picture from another location on the internet

You can also change the size of the attached picture by double clicking and change its size.

Here is a quick video on how to do any of the above 4 options:

• Like 1

What's the purpose of the black line running down the LH side of the screen with the quote balloons? - FIXED

The posts are harder to read; not sure if the font size has been reduced, or its the colours. - FIXED

The Iphone version has a lot of problems, maybe hasn't been fully completed, font is tiny; too small for conversation exchanges.

I don't know what you've done Ian, but it's not working for me. Always opens up in the Jabiru build vlog. Gee, I'll never understand why people can't leave 'well' alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Could you please provide a screenshot of the bug/issue you have, this will allow us clear the issue quickly...

Regards;

I will explain a little more on why I am persisting with this IPS platform...

Firstly Xenforo is very limited in what it offers, basically it's a forum software solution and that's about it. IPS is an entire suite of solutions for a website which is what I need if I am to achieve my long term goal that I am extremely excited about and have been for say the last 5 years. What I need to create is an overall foundation and single repository of all information across all areas of interest within aviation...forums, clubs, classifieds, articles, suppliers, news, pilot tools, builder's blogs, etc etc etc. Once I achieve that then I believe the site will be ready for the piece of resistance:

1831, from French pièce de résistance , originally "the most substantial dish in a meal." Lit. "piece of resistance;"

The greatest thing that can assist aviators all around the world, the greatest thing that can bring them all together, the greatest help and support they can get all around the world 24hrs a day, 7 days a week and will make all other sources of aviation information look like just trivial sites...I did this when I started this site over 15 years ago which is why it has weathered all the storms...but now I truly believe that we are ready for the 24hr a day, 7 days a week Virtual Flyin and Expo where you can go at any time, on any device and interact with other aviators, suppliers, representatives, presentations and so much more over and above the IPS foundation of forums, articles, classifieds, clubs etc.

The new section that I have always wanted to have to assist everyone is the Aircraft Pilots Virtual Expo, mind you it will cost around $25,000+ to add to the site but it will add that extra dimension to Aircraft Pilots (.com) for everyone.

Here are a couple of video clips of the options available that I will be looking at soon, and with Ahmed's help, hopefully will finally eventuate...watch the clips through to the end and if you do not say WOW what an extra feature to have with the site for you to use if you need to then I am in the wrong business...enjoy a look at the future opportunities for ALL aviators:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/217034271?app_id=122963

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

The menu on a mobile device is accessed by tapping the hamburger icon I.e. the 3 horizontal lines in the top right corner. Tapping this the menu will slide out.

Regarding images you can double tap the image and it should be displayed larger and even then you should be able to use 2 fingers and stretch it out even larger again...not sure about the iPhone as no one I know uses one now, they have all gone over to Samsung.

Does this help?

Hi Ian & Ahmed,

Great work.  Unfortunately my alerts no longer seem to be working - despite posts being made to threads I've been getting notifications for, and in fact still getting emails telling me I have notifications, when I click on the little bell it says "There are no notifications to display".

This is the major way I use the site so hoping you can fix it?

Thanks!

Marty

Regarding images you can double tap the image and it should be displayed larger and even then you should be able to use 2 fingers and stretch it out even larger again...not sure about the iPhone as no one I know uses one now, they have all gone over to Samsung.

Does this help?

When you stretch the image it becomes blurred and unreadable - FIXED (now working same as previous site)

Not testing for Iphone probably explains the issue.

The line running down the LH side is still there; just took this screenshot. It also groups posts into blocks - last hour, today etc which is not necessary with date/time stamp already there, and the combinatio of the vertical line/block arrangement squeezes the text down making it harder to read, and provides less information per page requiring more scrolling to read something. - FIXED (working as developed)

RF.thumb.JPG.d05278387f50e575599ad6fa990a641d.JPG

Your screen shots appear 3 per page; too small to read. When expanded (which would make a very slow process) the font is just a blur.

The current width is exactly the same as old design, please consider that the design is responsive and is designed to match all kind of screens without implementing extra horizontal scrollbars.

When you stretch the image it becomes blurred and unreadable

Not testing for Iphone probably explains the issue.

I think I got what you mean in this regard, It's not an iPhone related issue, as I understand you mean the image is in low resolution.

Actions taken in this regard:

- I increased attached images resolution to the maximum value.

Please confirm if this look now suits?

Great work.  Unfortunately my alerts no longer seem to be working - despite posts being made to threads I've been getting notifications for, and in fact still getting emails telling me I have notifications, when I click on the little bell it says "There are no notifications to display".

Please take into consideration that the current platform is totally flexible in notifications....

I've checked your account and I found that you have email notification "Only" for topics you follow... You can fine tune notification settings from user settings menu [to be inline notification in addition to emails].

For the hidden notification after pop-ups, this - sometimes - may be caused by badly cached data by the browser.

So, for this case, you can just try "hard refreshing" the browser (Ctrl+F5 for windows).

image.png.d9c3d2cb674432397e3dcd570a9995ad.png

Would like to hear your feedback.

The line running down the LH side is still there; just took this screenshot. It also groups posts into blocks - last hour, today etc which is not necessary with date/time stamp already there, and the combinatio of the vertical line/block arrangement squeezes the text down making it harder to read, and provides less information per page requiring more scrolling to read something.

Ian already figured this in his comment, this is actually the main cause for grouping the stream activity this way.

To make it more clear, let's say this streams (What's New) page, is more like Facebook timeline streams...

Its keeps you updated without even refreshing the page.

To get more info about the stream item, you can change toggle the view to the expanded view...

Kindly check this screenshot:

image.thumb.png.ea505e4d635933b79b8cbc40ef0ed084.png

Regards;

Ahmed

The menu on a mobile device is accessed by tapping the hamburger icon I.e. the 3 horizontal lines in the top right corner. Tapping this the menu will slide out.

Does this help?

1. After Ahmed's changes, on the Iphone (which is the larger 6S) the images are still a blur on the screen. Tapping doesn't make them any better. Two or three finger grabs increases to size to the point of clarity, but at that point you get around 1/8 to 1/6 of the image. You can scroll to see all parts of the image, but that's disjointed. - FIXED (working same as previous site)

2. I did a little exercise and measured the font height on my big, wide PC screen at 2 mm high, which it the equivalent of 7 pt on a word document at 100% magnification.

On the 6S Iphone  the height is only 1.2 mm . For my programming I've conducted a lot of interviews and carried out a lot of research, and found that the general font size is increasing from 10 pt to 11pt.

Millenials, particularly, will walk away from anything they get frustrated with. - FIXED (font size has been increased)

I saw the example of the old and new fonts side by side, but as I said earlier the issue may have been brought to a head by the new layout. I can understand that further down the track there may be new         features, but even then you wouldn't need a bubble in a forum section to see that someone had just written a post, or posted a photo. Just looking at the layout there's spare space over on the RHS, so it         may be possible to make space for bigger font. - FIXED (working as developed)

3. - FIXED (not applicable to support)

4.  While writing this I've been called away a couple of times for other business, and found that the system didn't save what I'd written as a draft like it used to. Is that able to be fixed?

1. After Ahmed's changes, on the Iphone (which is the larger 6S) the images are still a blur on the screen. Tapping doesn't make them any better. Two or three finger grabs increases to size to the point of clarity, but at that point you get around 1/8 to 1/6 of the image. You can scroll to see all parts of the image, but that's disjointed.

I really appreciate your concerns and the perfect data you've illustrated...

But just to be clear and I to assure that I got the point...

Now, near my workstation, I've 3 different devices [iPhone 6S, Samsung Galaxy Tablet "Don't know the exact model", and an old HTC desire mobile phone "5.5 inch screen"],

I've taken 2 different screenshots from each one of them (1 more for a tapped image from iPhone 6S), but I really can not figure what is the difference between any of them.

That's why I believe it's not (Android/iOS) issue.

Please confirm if this is same as your case.

For the auto save case, does it happen only on iPhone also?

Regards;

Ahmed

841331658_WhatsAppImage2018-11-11at11_17_00PM.thumb.jpeg.5c913a6faecd981124055f994d1b273f.jpeg

861892713_WhatsAppImage2018-11-11at11_17_05PM.thumb.jpeg.8a4e725a6c2a3b79b7e905b7254100e7.jpeg

203028273_WhatsAppImage2018-11-11at11_24_47PM.thumb.jpeg.06c14031c66044ee6dff53035b302a90.jpeg

2065457434_WhatsAppImage2018-11-11at11_24_48PM.thumb.jpeg.e702cf4404fe80c260b786c1a414c718.jpeg

1195585103_WhatsAppImage2018-11-11at11_38.52PM(1).thumb.jpeg.ddba3e80342afa0006bd53140fd135b6.jpeg

2021092999_WhatsAppImage2018-11-11at11_38_52PM.thumb.jpeg.302602c044d0a739356cd4102a2366fd.jpeg

Hi All

After a very turbulent few months the new Recreational Flying site is up and running under a new name Aircraft Pilots and new software IPS. I believe that all the major bugs have been ironed out and the look and feel is now very similar to the old Xenforo site.

There are many features that are yet to be turned on but let's have the site settle first. There is a developer standing by for anything that needs tinkering with to ensure you are comfortable with the site and any changes that are needed to make sure the site is a pleasure to use and very user friendly. There are a couple of minor things still to do which couldn't be done till now (eg the Likes System) which will get working properly within the next 24hrs.

A lot of work has gone into making the site look and feel like the old Xenforo site and I am very pleased with the way the site looks, the blues, the use of links, the menu system and more so I hope you like its new modern and fresh approach BUT as always PLEASE add anything in this thread that you would like to see done...as I said I have a developer standing by for that very reason and he has been paid upfront to ensure he will quickly get on to it. His name is Ahmed and I hope you welcome him to the site...thanks for your time and understanding and let's get going discussing everything we want to in aviation.

I am glad you are fixing all the through bolt problems with the new set up. Well done!

I have a few questions:

1 Where are the Private Messages? I don't seem to be able to find them. - FIXED (on PC click the envelop in the side menu, on mobile the old layout is returning soon)

2 Is it possible to show notifications for private messages like it did on the old system? - FIXED (on mobiles the old layout is returning soon)

3 Is it possible to show notifications for new posts placed on threads I am following like it did on the old system? - FIXED (on mobiles the old layout is returning soon)

For 2 and 3 above it used to show up at the top as soon as we are signed into Aircraft Pilots - FIXED (please see above)

• Like 1