Five bush pilot deaths within a month spur calls for improved training

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, Now.. You might upset some people. Sydney or the BUSH?..  Here's a clue.   One of them is still fit to live in. I lived there ( Sydney Town ) once. when most houses were one storey. It would have been magnificent when there were no houses at all.  Like a lot of places, come to mention it. and don't cut down all the trees in the "bush" or it's not bush.. It's cooler when you are walking under trees. Nev

Well they can be pretty nice except, when they are on fire. I've noticed the extent of tree clearing during my lifetime, and I doubt it's a good thing at all for the place generally. Plenty of erosion too by creeks in ploughed paddocks or eaten out by stock and wind/dust storms removes what little topsoil is there.   I had a bit to do with Tom and found him a real good bloke . Nev

We cut down 15 billion trees according  to the late Labor member of parliament and cabinet minister, Tom Uren, and he tried to get me to agree to replant them all.

Gee, that would have taken you a while..... 047_freaked.gif.81ab513ce5b74e486c6543f0b61ab189.gif ...... sorry.

There are probably five times the trees in central Victoria that there were 40 years ago. The Hawke initiative and lots of Land Care and highway plantings have made a big difference.

Drove through the western district yesterday. There's still less than 5% of the trees that existed pre-ringbarking. Around Mortlake you can see open grass  to the horizon with some small wind breaks. Crazy things, like bluegum plantations with the trees about 400 mm apart for wind breaks, then putting sheep in because the growth was too dense; result - bare trunks allowing the wind to whistle through and kill the lambs on cold nights.

PMC I would seriously dispute that. Highway plantings are miniscule in the big scheme of things and generally just unsuitable shrubs that don't live long. Clearing is going on everywhere pretty much Plantations are still  being replaced in Pine with a lot of erosion in between removing and replanting. The bushfires are depleting the mountain ash in the highlands as they have been to frequent and hot for the new growth to withstand. I haven't seen any PLUSSES and I look for them everywhere.. Google Earth will show it.  Nev

The other day, on the access rd on the property where I keep my plane, saw a skittled wombat. It was not an accidental casualty. What hope when nongs just can't help themselves in plundering the wildlife?

The other day, on the access rd on the property where I keep my plane, saw a skittled wombat. It was not an accidental casualty. What hope when nongs just can't help themselves in plundering the wildlife?

They were probably hungry homeless people.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

They were probably hungry homeless people.

Send a few out our way Turbo!

We are getting eaten out buy Kangaroos......they can have as many as they want.

096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.a4d771b3d58a25a1b75ed143c42787a9.gif

Send a few out our way Turbo!

We are getting eaten out buy Kangaroos......they can have as many as they want.

096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.a4d771b3d58a25a1b75ed143c42787a9.gif

A lot around at the moment. A friend said he came across on of about 3,000 crossing the road in western NSW. Just had to stop the Land Cruiser and wait until they passed.