Fewer aircraft ads

Guest Machtuk

Spenaroo. If you are serious about wanting a Corby, I am considering selling mine and have already sold my RV4. I think it is about time that I hung up the headset, although I am sure flying is good for me even in old age.

Of course before you jump into a Corby you have to be tailwheel competent as well as being of a size to fit in it.

Got any details on yr Starlet?

Interesting conversation. Recently attained my RPC and Pax endorsement.

looking for a suitable aircraft. Can afford about 150-ish a month hangarage.

Have also noticed a sudden drop in the number if aircraft fir sale .......is it because (a) people are not renewing their advert, or (b) thd aurcraft are being sold.?????

Being in WASSIELAND, (Western Australia) one can add several thousand dollars to the purchase price just bringing it hime,

in W.A. The SLACWA which has it’s s own sealed airstrip at Bindoon, and Greensides Flying Club at Muchea are both within Restricted airspace courtesy of the RAAF.

Which means flying is restricted to weekends, by and large.

So the 55 year old dream of owning, continues to be a dream......

Which is the lesser of the two, ?.

Owning a none flying aircraft, that sits forlorn waiting for that day to soar like the eagle it thought it was.

Or

Haveing done the exams, for the certificate / licence, watching other,s soaring like eagles in the wide blue sky ?.

I start the motor jump in and dream of Soaring like that eagle too !.

spacesailor

Guest Machtuk

Interesting conversation. Recently attained my RPC and Pax endorsement.

looking for a suitable aircraft. Can afford about 150-ish a month hangarage.

Have also noticed a sudden drop in the number if aircraft fir sale .......is it because (a) people are not renewing their advert, or (b) thd aurcraft are being sold.?????

Being in WASSIELAND, (Western Australia) one can add several thousand dollars to the purchase price just bringing it hime,

in W.A. The SLACWA which has it’s s own sealed airstrip at Bindoon, and Greensides Flying Club at Muchea are both within Restricted airspace courtesy of the RAAF.

Which means flying is restricted to weekends, by and large.

So the 55 year old dream of owning, continues to be a dream......

Let us all know when you find a hangar for $150 month, we will all move in!?

Just a few photo,s as I couldn't stop to , to go fetch a camera when I wanted to record any item ( check it with the Hummel Group.).

Plus a Builders Log wasn't necessary, building to UFA/ RAA 95-10 category .

BUT if going to VH Experimental, will have to open up All enclosed parts for inspection.

Mabey take it apart and sell as a complete KIT. worth more money than an registrable aircraft.

spacesailor

I don't think it is just RAA that have fewer ads of late. I've noticed a downturn in heavier sport aircraft too, the RV's and the like. Whether that's due to those owners thinking "Well, I was going to sell it to buy a -10, but look at the dollar!" or seeing the same aircraft listed for months (years in a few examples) and not selling, so why bother putting their pride and joy up for sale unless they have to?

Given the state of the worldwide economy, a private aircraft is now rapidly becoming a luxury only a few are likely to have the confidence to stump up the $$ for, at least, until things settle down.

Guest Machtuk

Having had two GA aircraft the best two days in ownership are the day you buy it and the day that you sell it!!

Whilst thas generally true it's not so for myself. I've owned 5 A/C over the years, sold three, made money on all three, I expect I'd make money if I sold my current two now seeing as the Aussie dollar is stuffed! It depends on what you buy as to how it will sell. Orphaned type planes tend to be money pits, common much sought after planes are the way to go. Presentation is also important, can't believe the condition some owners keep their machines in!

Guest Machtuk

obviously not at a major GA airfield like Jandakot or Moorabbin.

When I looked around the airfields that where popular within an hours drive of a main city $260-400 mth was the norm and shared!

This ^^^

You can buy a J160 for $35K-$45K, but;

The annual fixed cost to have a J160 and store it at an airfield is around $10K ( hanger fees, maintenance, insurance etc).

That gets me around 90 hrs or hire time. If i did that time in my own plane I would have fuel on top too, another $3-4K ?

but with hiring I don't get to fly whenever I want, wherever I want, so ownership has its advantage obviously, but you have to fly 100+ hours a year to really make it worth while.

Something with folding wings (aeropup, kitfox, skyfox etc) that can be stored on a trailer at home reduces this considerably if you have the space though.

For 6 months I agonised over what to buy, the cost of a hangar on my property, the aircraft‘s ability to handle my bush airstrip and my ability to be able to deal with flying to and from a bush strip. I considered a Gazelle with folding wings, and then found an Aeropup with fixed wings however in the middle of phone calls the Gazelle sold as I hummed and haaaad over the Aeropup, which I immediately decided to buy. It’s now at Aeropup having a folding wing conversion, amongst other things. I have a car trailer, it will fit in sheds here. But need a purpose built enclosed trailer for it.

No BRS yet, but will wear parachute in the interim. Have yet to finish my training and go solo, but at least I have the plane:-)

I expect I'd make money if I sold my current two now seeing as the Aussie dollar is stuffed! It depends on what you buy as to how it will sell.
When I put the RV on the market in a couple months, I'll lose around $40K on the total cost, yet alone shipping for parts etc, even though it's only got 130-odd hours since brand-new-everything. :crying:

The way the dollar has gone, its' replacement cost is well over $160,000, but realistically, I can't see a buyer paying that. And it would free up the fixed costs for something more family friendly...

For 6 months I agonised over what to buy, the cost of a hangar on my property, the aircraft‘s ability to handle my bush airstrip and my ability to be able to deal with flying to and from a bush strip. I considered a Gazelle with folding wings, and then found an Aeropup with fixed wings however in the middle of phone calls the Gazelle sold as I hummed and haaaad over the Aeropup, which I immediately decided to buy. It’s now at Aeropup having a folding wing conversion, amongst other things. I have a car trailer, it will fit in sheds here. But need a purpose built enclosed trailer for it.

No BRS yet, but will wear parachute in the interim. Have yet to finish my training and go solo, but at least I have the plane:-)

You could hangar at the CQGC Gliding club at a very reasonable rate, say for 12 months while you get set up at your property ; plus the airstrip there is 1800 meters and would also be good for the early hours of your conversion. A shortish drive from where you are. Cheers.

• Like 1

Guest Machtuk

When I put the RV on the market in a couple months, I'll lose around $40K on the total cost, yet alone shipping for parts etc, even though it's only got 130-odd hours since brand-new-everything. :crying:

The way the dollar has gone, its' replacement cost is well over $160,000, but realistically, I can't see a buyer paying that. And it would free up the fixed costs for something more family friendly...

If you build new yes you will lose, I didn't wasn't to languish in the shed for years spending big bucks full knowing I was throwing money away, I bought my RV and let someone else take the loss!

The Cherokee that I owned in 1980 cost $11k, I spent about $15k in non operation costs plus. Sold it for $11k after two years. Loved the aircraft but I needed to move from the country to the city, had to sell all toys. My Mooney cost $120k I spent $120k on updates and improvements. Sold it for$120k. Don't regret it at all. Loved that aircraft, used it in my business, saw most of Australia. Wife hates flying, when I retired I had no real use for it. So I sold it. I don't regret owning it. I hope that the guy that bought it is having fun now.

• Like 1

If you build new yes you will lose, I didn't wasn't to languish in the shed for years spending big bucks full knowing I was throwing money away, I bought my RV and let someone else take the loss!

I

I simply bought because I don’t have enough life left to take a risk and build:-)

Guest Machtuk

I

I simply bought because I don’t have enough life left to take a risk and build:-)

Yeah I could fall in to that category as well to some degree. Age, space, equipment and money all kept me from building a plane, buying is smarter, maybe in the next life.?

" I simply bought because I don’t have enough life left to take a risk and build:-) "

I thought I had heaps of time.

My big mistake !.

No warning or information to Hummel builder's, 18 , at that time, all but one stopped.

what a loss to recreational flying.

spacesailor

• Agree 1

As an engineer that just loves designing and building I suggest that if flying is your reason for building you will not enjoy the experience, buy an aircraft that has been built by someone that enjoys the build. He or she has usually only a small interest in flying and prefers an avid flyer to get enjoyment. Often the builder is not after much reward for their fun of building. Personally I prefer designing.