Aerolite 103?

jackc

2 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Yes you could probably just put a simpler drive train in, but bike gear boxes are a pain in the ass to work on. Those gears are designed to be working constantly, hauling you and a pillion for say 100,000 km. So would be easier to just leave it as is.

Well, there is nothing like experimenting!  I see that Briggs and Stratton 30hp V twins are used in the U.S. a bit shy in the power dept but they must work.  Similar to the Kohler V twin, I have 23hp version in my Dingo digger and has been ultra reliable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackc said:

Well, there is nothing like experimenting!  I see that Briggs and Stratton 30hp V twins are used in the U.S. a bit shy in the power dept but they must work.  Similar to the Kohler V twin, I have 23hp version in my Dingo digger and has been ultra reliable.

If you want relatively simple plug and play you can get a B&S redrive from Ace Aviaton

https://www.aceaviation.co.uk/redrives

and if you want to talk to someone in English who 'tinkers' with them I can put you onto a friend in the UK who used this drive AND did a heap of power mods to the engine and flew it ... do look at YouTube because he can also talk about crashing it and why ... plus the continuing development of the stationary Vtwin for aircraft

https://www.youtube.com/c/KevinArmstrong4154/videos

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

1 hour ago, kasper said:

If you want relatively simple plug and play you can get a B&S redrive from Ace Aviaton

https://www.aceaviation.co.uk/redrives

and if you want to talk to someone in English who 'tinkers' with them I can put you onto a friend in the UK who used this drive AND did a heap of power mods to the engine and flew it ... do look at YouTube because he can also talk about crashing it and why ... plus the continuing development of the stationary Vtwin for aircraft

https://www.youtube.com/c/KevinArmstrong4154/videos

Thanks for that info:-). I was looking at an X-Air standard today, with a 618 Rotax until I discovered there are very few parts for them, no crankshaft repair parts or cases, pistons gaskets OK, no blocks 😞. So that kyboshed that.

In fact it was mentioned also that RAA are clamping down on 503 and 582 as well, don’t know what else, but will call them and find out what is going on.

So, it looks like electric or some kind of 4 stroke what ever it may be.

IF I got the X-Air it will definitely need some kind of conversion……..

Looks like 2 stroke power is doomed…….

2-stroke engines have been doomed for 10 years at least, the existing models have just tried to fight off the inevitable stake through the heart.

Despite their excellent power-to-weight ratio - no-one, in 113 years of commercial 2-stroke production, has been able to find a way to make their emissions levels acceptable, or to meet emissions laws.

Not even Orbital, with their clever air-assisted injection 2 stroke, could find acceptance of the principle. Orbitals 2-stroke came close, but essentially, it was just too complex to ensure commercial success.

As the article below says, Ford engineers found that, (quote) "while an Orbital (2 stroke engine) could be made to run incredibly smoothly, economically, or cleanly, it’s been suggested it was nigh-impossible to make it do all three simultaneously."  This points to an inability to ensure that all three engine processes could be kept in balance, on a constant and reliable basis.

https://driventowrite.com/2018/03/02/what-happened-to-orbital-two-stroke-engine-analysis/

• 4 weeks later...

A personal friend of mine in the U.S. has just ordered his Aerolite 103 with Hirth 23 50hp engine.  There is a 12 month wait time on delivery!

Seems they are very popular at present, I know Aerolite got heaps of enquiry at Air Venture, Oshkosh this year.

I sure was very interested in their electric model.

On 20/08/2021 at 5:54 AM, jackc said:

Well here I am with the Aerolite 103 concept still eating away at me.  Been looking at engine choices and lamenting the passing of the 503 Rotax motor.  Hirth and MZ seem the major choices now. Not even sure I can buy one as the importer here dislikes me immensely, I got up his nose on a discussion of AUF past history.  Last 2 emails went unanswered.  So maybe I would have to buy from another agent and get it shipped here.

Life was never meant to be easy, especially in Aviation 🙂

Did you read Kasper's comments?

1 minute ago, turboplanner said:

Did you read Kasper's comments?

Sure did Turbs,  fortunately I found my solution with the Thruster I got 🙂 

I know 2 strokes are doomed, that is why I am ordering a new 582 tomorrow from Bert Flood.  It will last until my funeral, that is for sure!

There must be some design ideas that people are working on in the 40-60 horsepower range for new 4 strokes, but they won’t be cheap……BUT they will be available.  2 strokes must be selling well in the U.S. right now if there is a 12 month wait from 1 maker? 

On 31/08/2021 at 11:22 AM, onetrack said:

2-stroke engines have been doomed for 10 years at least, the existing models have just tried to fight off the inevitable stake through the heart.

Despite their excellent power-to-weight ratio - no-one, in 113 years of commercial 2-stroke production, has been able to find a way to make their emissions levels acceptable, or to meet emissions laws.

Not even Orbital, with their clever air-assisted injection 2 stroke, could find acceptance of the principle. Orbitals 2-stroke came close, but essentially, it was just too complex to ensure commercial success.

As the article below says, Ford engineers found that, (quote) "while an Orbital (2 stroke engine) could be made to run incredibly smoothly, economically, or cleanly, it’s been suggested it was nigh-impossible to make it do all three simultaneously."  This points to an inability to ensure that all three engine processes could be kept in balance, on a constant and reliable basis.

https://driventowrite.com/2018/03/02/what-happened-to-orbital-two-stroke-engine-analysis/

Sorry to reply to an old post but if you look at evinrude etec outboard engines. They are more fuel efficient and cleaner than most 4 strokes in the same hp rating. The only problem  see is all the extra parts might make them  heavy for an aero conversion.   

• Informative 1

On 16/04/2021 at 11:18 AM, kasper said:

Sorry to be a spoil sport but there are NO approved kits under 95.10.  You really cannot register a kit under 95.10. 

you MUST go through 95.55 and end up with 19- reg not 10- reg. 

AUF and RASus have improperly registered kit builds under 95.10 and you really do not ever want to be at risk of CASA on audit or even worse on a flight line inspection getting wind of improper registration 

Edited by jackc
delete multi post

Sorry to be a spoil sport but there are NO approved kits under 95.10.  You really cannot register a kit under 95.10. 

AUF and RASus have improperly registered kit builds under 95.10 and you really do not ever want to be at risk of CASA on audit or even worse on a flight line inspection getting wind of improper registration 

Edited by jackc
delete multi post

Edited by jackc
delete multi post

RAA want to look carefully at their own  house….the alleged approval of 13 or so Savannah’s that were built by LAMES for owners at an agreed cost, yet were knowingly registered as 19 rego aircraft in Qld.  It’s hearsay but the supporting information has credibility which I won’t reveal.

Edited by jackc
delete multi post

Edited by jackc
delete double post

Edited by jackc
delete multi post

19 minutes ago, jackc said:

Not sure IF I posted this somewhere already but……the BRS solution for the Aerolite 103 could have possibilities for the Thruster??

You cannot really do much on a 2 seat thruster as you call under MARAP ... and the Tech manager will have to approve it and you will have to do all the design, manufacture, fit and test at your cost PLUS pay the MARAP fee.

If you are considering a single seat thruster then fill your boots - you are the designer and responsible for any changes you make - rocket, spring, hand deployed - soft pack canister the choice is yours alone.

BUT - expect a fight with RAAus Tech on what the process is to change a 95.10 to fit the pack unless you want to follow processes and incur costs that are not legit - but that fight is still to be lost by RAAus on the unsupported legal basis for the tech manual changes to 95.10 mods and maintenance. 

• Informative 1

Which ever way I look at it, I will be stepping through a regulatory minefield in concrete boots!  So just have to see what goes and see what can come of it……

4 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Hummel make a partial Kit for 103 !.

But

RAA doen,t like them 

spacesailor

So, I have to ask WHY RAA have made that determination?  Are they OK in other countries? 

There must be reasons, maybe we need to hear from RAA about it.  IF other jurisdictions have ruled against them? Then we need the peer reviewed data from those places.  Not some  just pissed off 2 bit paper plane making engineer?

Jack - Any Hummel build from any set of drawings or plans or parts kits are perfectly acceptable to raaus and just need to be registered under 95.55 not 95.10.  They will get 19- reg and it’s a straight forward process. 

spacey has a 23yo grudge against how he was treated in his Hummel when he was going under 95.10. I have offered for no charge to help spacey get his airframe registered under 95.55 if he wants.  

this offer stands to him as it has for the past 4 years.  

• Like 1
  • Winner 1