RAAus Does not Understand Just Organisations or Safety. Part 1.

I borrowed this from Garfly's post. (I'm not saying he agrees with me or does not agree with me and have not discussed borrowing his post with him.) 

Alerted See & Avoid

In the modern age of electronic flight bags (EFBs), GPS, TCAS, and other electronic devices, pilots are more distracted inside the cockpit than ever before! Combine this with inconsistent radio communications, increased traffic density, and more frequent RPT traffic in regional areas, and the holes in the swiss cheese start to align!

Near miss and loss of separation events are the fourth most common occurrence type reported to RAAus. Now, more than ever, it is important that pilots maintain regular and consistent radio calls and look out techniques in order to maintain situational awareness.

Pilots must avoid the temptation to become dependent on position information displayed on EFB or TCAS displays - This technology relies on the fitment of similar equipment in other aircraft, often resulting in inconsistent traffic displays and the potential for traffic to go unnoticed. Whilst this technology is valuable in assisting situational awareness, it must not replace the requirement for pilots to maintain a constant lookout and the need for regular radio calls for efficient alerted see and avoid principles.

Head of Training Development, Neil Schaefer, recently observed the importance a maintaining a visual scan when conducting a flight review with an RAAus pilot. The pilot, who was using a SkyEcho ADS-B receiver, showed signs of complacency by relying on traffic information displayed on their iPad. During the flight review Neil visually spotted two aircraft in the local area which were not identified by the pilot in command - Neither aircraft was displayed on the pilots EFB.

https://members.raa.asn.au/safety/safety-focus/alerted-see-and-avoid/?

Since about the 1980's people have been trying to decrease accidents in complex systems by doing a so-called root cause analysis (RCA) following a near miss and accident. The RCA tries to uncover the factors that contributed to the accident and happened earlier than the last error that actually caused the accident. For example, if the ergonomics of a cockpit contributed to pilot error, then the ergonomics of the cockpit were also a cause, even though the cockpit was designed years ago. 

In order for RCA's to work, the people who made the mistake need to be willing to come forward completely voluntarily and tell the truth. They will only do that if they feel safe that they will not be punished. This is what it means to have a just organisational culture (JC) (acronyms are my own, not official) (Basically, if someone is reckless or impaired by drugs, then they should be punished, otherwise they should not. Different organisations draw this distinction a bit differently.) When all the information is collated, all the underlying causes of the problem can be addressed and the organisation and its safety improve. 

The above example is contrary to organisational safety because it is contrary to RCA and JA. 

• JA: people are going to be discouraged to come forward when they see that someone who made a mistake is publicly criticised like this. There was no need to label an attitude as "complacent". They could have said that the pilot was looking at the iPad instead of having their head on a swivel. 

• JA: they said, "signs of complacency". This suggests to the reader that no one bothered to ask the pilot about it. If they had asked the pilot about it, they would have been able to find out if the complacency was real. I think that having an iPad is the opposite of being complacent. It seems that the RA-Aus people spoke about it behind the pilot's back and decided to big note themselves, on the Net, about it. 

• JA: they could have used the pilot as a role model by having them write a near miss piece for the RA-Aus website. Instead, they wanted to look like superior aviators. 

• RCA: there was no consideration of the factors that lead up to the pilot relying on their iPad instead of looking out the window, or why the other planes did not show up on the iPad. There was no consideration of the possible upstream factors that could have contributed to the problems or where RA-Aus fell down on the job of fixing them.

• As I understand it, different electronic flight bags show up different sets of planes. RA-Aus has not been trying to get all traffic on all iPads

• How did the pilot come to think that traffic would be on the iPad. RA-Aus has allowed things to be marketed without sufficient warnings. 

• How come the pilot was not aware of the other aircraft because of radio calls? 

• Was the pilot safe because other safety layers, like doing proper circuit procedures kept people safe? 

I will be complaining to RA-Aus about their stupidity and encourage you all to do so too. I'm pissed that RA-Aus are wrong *and* happy with themselves. 

• Like 1

I work for a company who has an effective Just Culture. 
I have also seen, from the inside, the RAAus culture and I can tell you it could do with some changes to be an effective Just Culture.

I wonder if it is time for some fresh eyes and a revised safety system reporting line.

7 hours ago, Roundsounds said:

I work for a company who has an effective Just Culture. 
I have also seen, from the inside, the RAAus culture and I can tell you it could do with some changes to be an effective Just Culture.

I wonder if it is time for some fresh eyes and a revised safety system reporting line.

Problem is the vast majority didn't vote when the Incorporated Association was killed.

That is the platform where a sub committee made up of suitably skilled members can be formed to study subjects such and this, and adopt new policies.

RAA inc grew to what it was and conducted the iconic Natflys because it produced these roups with special skills.

Technical sub-committees are common place in technical organisations , pro or amateur. Got to be a bit careful with how people get on them and their maximum tenure.

I've recently engaged face to face with RAA people (they are in the next street  to my factory) , I've found them to have open eyes.  Yes, its true, they do not think of everything by themselves . A submission or chat with them will generate some movement. 

As for Ipad....relying on a piece of consumer junk . ROFL. rightio.. EFB software has an enormous number of bugs and always will . They should be a supplement to reduce en route workload, not relied on to be correct at critical moments.

I have observed that there  is a common belief by young pilots who are also low hour,, that their EFB is somehow , unlikely / incapable of error. Almost like the early days of mobile phones and people being surprised when they didnt work outside city metros. FFS.

Probably has something to do with level of training.  My instructor has been flying out in the desert since 1970, and I think he has imparted considerable influence with regard to reliance on technical toys.  But he's no dinosaur, he appreciates the lowering of pilot workload by using an EFB en route.

• 3 months later...

I have come to think this is the answer I am happy with,  I am desperately trying to avoid using  an iPad in flight.  A basic cockpit with Aera 660 GPS, a basic Icom A16 radio, carry a whiz wheel and charts for on ground planning……

And do see and avoid from this 🙂 iPad with ERSA and other stuff for ground use only.

8ADAB72A-7A8F-488C-941B-CE834DD32F74.jpeg

In an open cockpit what you can use inflight becomes much more limited You also cannot take your hands of the stick really so the more info you have on your flight plan the better and it must not blow out the side and be no more. Don't be "dependant' on something that has  omissions in it's coverage. In my experience if there's say 4 or 5 planes in your circuit you need to know where EVERY one of them is  Use you passenger if you have one but they  and you have to know how to work together. I hate to think what confusion and disorientation could happen IF the pilot was inexperienced with the  congested circuit environment.. Enroute avoid areas of expected high traffic if you can arrange it. Nev

• Informative 1

Fear not, for all my life I have been a lone adventurer roaming the wastelands avoiding human beings from high density population places 🙂.  I will be staying away from busy air strips and generally keeping a low profile in the air, I need to be totally confident with lots of hours before I even look at a tarred airstrip.  Because they are usually where lots of planes hang out 🙂 

Desert fly-ins might be my deal!

• Like 2

The risk of a mid-air IN THE ABSENCE OF CONCENTRATING THINGS is negligible. It will happen on average once in 20,000 years  I once calculated.

But there are many concentrating things...  Airfields, airspace boundaries, computer lines joining busy airports are the main ones. For gliders, you can add good thermals and cloud streets.

Edited by Bruce Tuncks
  • Like 1

As soon as I get some answers I seek on the Garmin Aera 660, I think it will be a good choice.  I want to be able to load in heaps of ALAs as waypoints as I will mainly be flying the arid aviation wastelands.  

7 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Hi Jackc, my "new" J230 came with a garmin aera 660, which I need to learn about more. Just what answers do you need? I just may be able to find an answer or two, but don't bet too much on it.

Mate,   I spoke with Eric at Flightstore and hit him with a few questions relating to loading waypoints from PC……got the answers I needed so I ordered one with mounting options etc.  He said to call back IF I had any grief.  Bought a few bits from them……very helpful So see what happens when it gets here 🙂 Let you know how I go.

• Like 1