Fire Extinguisher suggestion C182

5 minutes ago, 440032 said:

Here's a question or seven.

How many of us have had the actual need to use a fire extinguisher stored in an aircraft? (or even a car?)

Would it be more likely useful to assist someone else while you are on the ground, or for yourself in flight or on the ground.

How many of us have ever had to use a fire extinguisher anywhere in real life - or seen one used? Very few me thinks.

Yes. 20 years ago F100. I ended up ripping wires out with my bare hands and burning them. Wasn’t my dodgy wiring! 

Yes. Hay elevator motor caught on fire (I was a teenager)and I wrapped in my shirt to smother. 

Recently…Yes, French Island fire and I turned up late. Defended a house by scraping the ground and stomping on flames while gesturing wildly to the slip on and tanker. It’s bloody surprising how little you can do without a rake. Water… it doesn’t take much at all to deal with what I was struggling with.

• Like 1

Here's a fairly identical compact fire extinguisher product located in Australia. The FAQ's are useful. If you wait for a minute while on the site, an extra $15 discount offer pops up. Of course, that involves signing up to marketing emails.

https://assentpro.com.au/products/fire-stryker?variant=40055831396546

The worst part about fire extinguishers is you usually empty them on some strangers fire, and get no thanks, or replacement for it. If you use it to save a mate, that's the price of mateship.

Many a firefighting attempt is bungled with trying to determine if the fire extinguisher is suitable for the fire, extinguishers not checked and pressurisation depleted, and fumbles and struggles with locking mechanisms, due to unfamiliarity. 

• Agree 2

The CO2 ones will freeze your hands if you hold them in the wrong place.  Plenty of engine starts could light a grass fire. Its standard practice to have an adequate extinguisher when starting each big round engine.. Nev

• Like 1

My aero club 172 started a small patch of grass below the exhaust light up a few years back. Luckily someone saw it and ran over to stomp it out. 183 times quicker than trying to find an estingsquisher. If there was one in the plane I don't know - pilot did not see or know anything at the time.

• Informative 1

On the ground, dirt is your best fire extinguisher, readily to hand, and in quantities that are not likely to run out. The most amazing firefighting stunt I've seen (in a crop fire), was a bloke who rolled up with a disc plough, he set it on a steep angle, and roared off at high speed (for a tractor - 20-25kmh), just shallow cutting about 50-60mm deep - and the dirt thrown up and out (6-8M) and onto the crop on fire, was more effective than any fire truck with water. He put out more fire than 3 fire trucks combined, and he didn't have to worry about running out of water.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, onetrack said:

On the ground, dirt is your best fire extinguisher, readily to hand, and in quantities that are not likely to run out. The most amazing firefighting stunt I've seen (in a crop fire), was a bloke who rolled up with a disc plough, he set it on a steep angle, and roared off at high speed (for a tractor - 20-25kmh), just shallow cutting about 50-60mm deep - and the dirt thrown up and out (6-8M) and onto the crop on fire, was more effective than any fire truck with water. He put out more fire than 3 fire trucks combined, and he didn't have to worry about running out of water.

I can’t wait to see the picture of that in the cabin 🤣

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, onetrack said:

Yeah, we do a version of that on French island. The 3rd generation locals know way more than us recent arrivals. I’m still considered such at 12 years.

They run tractor slashers and achieve not quite as much as your guy. They still make a huge difference. One year my job was to hose them down, they’d dive into the fire area for a while then come out for a hose down to get the tractors sorted. I’d oblige 😀 then get back to my blacking out job.

• Informative 1

I think a helmet would contribute more to safety, but C182’s are great a carrying loads. Plumbed in for the engine, Halon for the cabin and job done. I’m always more scared collisions, so I’d install a parachute. Parachute will also help move the CofG back. Safety items are for peace of mind as well as actual safety, so if fire is your thing, go for it. Keep us posted.  

In flight fires in certified aircraft like the  C182 are extremely rare, just do a search in the ATSB site. In a crash situation I cannot recall a single incident were a fire extinguisher would have made a difference.

Not having a fire extinguisher may focus the mind on important things like not stall/spinning the aircraft.  

Edited by Thruster88
  • Agree 1

Crashed planes often catch fire especially if they invert.  Otherwise it's engines start or in flight engine failure with damage. A near new C-182 is a pretty nice Piece of kit all round. (In my view). Nev

On 3/6/2022 at 12:10 PM, onetrack said:

Here's a fairly identical compact fire extinguisher product located in Australia. The FAQ's are useful. If you wait for a minute while on the site, an extra $15 discount offer pops up. Of course, that involves signing up to marketing emails.

https://assentpro.com.au/products/fire-stryker?variant=40055831396546

The worst part about fire extinguishers is you usually empty them on some strangers fire, and get no thanks, or replacement for it. If you use it to save a mate, that's the price of mateship.

Many a firefighting attempt is bungled with trying to determine if the fire extinguisher is suitable for the fire, extinguishers not checked and pressurisation depleted, and fumbles and struggles with locking mechanisms, due to unfamiliarity. 

Looks to cover electrical up to 100000 volts  if needed as well…. Great

• Like 1
  • Agree 1